Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

On This Date in Comics Continuity...

13»

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    February 19 is the day Bruce Wayne, aka the Batman was born!

imageimage

• Options
    February 20 is the day Hal Jordan, aka Green Lantern was born!

• Options
    Today is March 17. In addition to it being St. Patrick's Day this year, it is also the birthday of the esteemed Flo Steinberg!

Flo was Stan Lee's secretary, Marvel's receptionist, and fan liaison during the 60s and was a key participant of Marvel's expansion from a two-person staff to a pop culture conglomerate. She quit after Marvel refused to give her a $5 per hour raise and went on to publish Big Apple Comix one of many underground comics at the time. Big Apple featured work from Wally Wood, Neal Adams, Denny O’Neil, Herb Trimpe, Archie Goodwin, Mike Ploog, Al Williamson, and several others. As I recall, Flo returned to Marvel as a proofreader in the ’90’s.

A fictionalized Steinberg starred alongside Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and Sol Brodsky — all transformed into a Marvel Bullpen version of the Fantastic Four — in the alternate-reality comic What If #11 (Oct. 1978). And later, in Ultimate Fantastic Four #28 (May 2006), Mark Millar included Steinberg serving as the secretary to President Thor.

Great interview with Flo here.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Today is March 17. In addition to it being St. Patrick's Day this year, it is also the birthday of the esteemed Flo Steinberg!

Flo was Stan Lee's secretary, Marvel's receptionist, and fan liaison during the 60s and was a key participant of Marvel's expansion from a two-person staff to a pop culture conglomerate. She quit after Marvel refused to give her a $5 per hour raise and went on to publish Big Apple Comix one of many underground comics at the time. Big Apple featured work from Wally Wood, Neal Adams, Denny O’Neil, Herb Trimpe, Archie Goodwin, Mike Ploog, Al Williamson, and several others. As I recall, Flo returned to Marvel as a proofreader in the ’90’s.

A fictionalized Steinberg starred alongside Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and Sol Brodsky — all transformed into a Marvel Bullpen version of the Fantastic Four — in the alternate-reality comic What If #11 (Oct. 1978). And later, in Ultimate Fantastic Four #28 (May 2006), Mark Millar included Steinberg serving as the secretary to President Thor.

Great interview with Flo here.

Credit where credit is due: The Marie Severin-drawn image above was done for the back cover of Comic Book Artist #18, which contains a longer interview with Flo (and lots more pics of her in and out of the office) among other things.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Credit where credit is due: The Marie Severin-drawn image above was done for the back cover of Comic Book Artist #18, which contains a longer interview with Flo (and lots more pics of her in and out of the office) among other things.

I'll do you one better: if you are not lucky enough to own a copy of 2002's Comic Book Artist #18 (I got it on eBay several months ago for the Marvel cosmic content), you can actually read it online right here for free courtesy of TwoMorrow's Publishing. It's a great interview by Jon B. Cooke as well as recollection articles of Flo's influence at Marvel.
  • Options

I'll do you one better: if you are not lucky enough to own a copy of 2002's Comic Book Artist #18 (I got it on eBay several months ago for the Marvel cosmic content), you can actually read it online right here for free courtesy of TwoMorrow's Publishing. It's a great interview by Jon B. Cooke as well as recollection articles of Flo's influence at Marvel.
    Well, that's just a preview of the issue, so you don't get the whole interview, but thanks for plug.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Well, that's just a preview of the issue, so you don't get the whole interview, but thanks for plug.

Oh, my bad. It's only the first 3 pages. Is there another place to read Mr. Cooke's interview in its entirety other than the tangible magazine?

• Options

Oh, my bad. It's only the first 3 pages. Is there another place to read Mr. Cooke's interview in its entirety other than the tangible magazine?

There's also a digital edition for $3.95, but that's the only other option.
  • Options
    Happy belated birthday to Al Simmons (aka Spawn), born March 16, 1961

• Options
    It's March 19 and we wish a Happy Birthday to Barry Allen (The Flash II - Pre-Crisis version)

Note: It's May 13 for Post-Crisis Barry Allen

+++++++++++
  • Options
    It's March 20 so we wish a Happy Birthday to Dick Grayson, aka Robin the Boy Wonder, aka Nightwing, aka 'Grayson' celebrated on the first day of spring, according to Nightwing: Year One (and a hat-tip to @phansford ).

Note: Originally Dick was born said to have been born on November 11 (pre-Crisis continuity). Then in 1994, Dick was said to have been born in the week before Halloween, or October 24-30-ish. In Zero Hour: Crisis in Time, Grayson was said to have been born the first day of spring, or March 20.

• Options

It's March 21 and we wish a Happy Birthday to Ralph Dibny (Elongated Man: the Post-Crisis version).

Note: It's May 26 for Pre-Crisis Ralph Dibny
  • Options
    Happy Birthday to Hawkman III aka Katar Hol, born March 30 on the planet Thanagar. The child of a wealthy family. Katar joined the Wingman police force but rebelled against his world’s ruthless conquest. He became addicted to drugs and was then manipulated into publicly killing his own father.

• Options
    57 years ago, on March 31 1959, Supergirl made her debut in the pages of Action Comics #252.

• Options
    It's April 1st, that's the date Dr. Harleen Quinzel helped the Joker escape Arkham Asylum and took on the identity of Harley Quinn.

Listen to the Harley Quinn Patient Interview Tapes from Batman: Arkham Asylum here
  • Options
    It's April 3, so we say "happy birthday" to Jay Garrick aka Golden Age Flash

• Options
    It's April 9, the birthday of Margaret "Peggy" Carter (MCU)

• Options
    It's April 10, the day we celebrate the birthday of (pre-crisis) Dinah Laurel Lance (aka Black Canary)

• Options
    On this date in MCU comic history, Steve Rogers is given the "super-soldier" serum in 1943.

• Options
    June 25
    On this date in DC continuity, Ma & Pa Kent adopt Kal-El

• Options
    July 22

On this date in DC Comics history, we celebrate the organizing of the original Justice League of America

• Options
    August 10

On this date in comics continuity, Boston Brand, former circus acrobat, was murdered during a trapeze performance by a mysterious assailant known only as "the Hook." Then he became a ghost. A walking Deadman if you will.

• Options
    It's September 20, and on this date in 1928, Adam West was born!

• Options
    Happy Birthday to the mightiest DC twins, the Batsons, Billy and Mary!

• Options
    Happy 95th Birthday Stan Lee! Excelsior!

• Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    My god, I had no idea he was that old. I mean, it makes total sense given how long he's been in the industry. But just from seeing him walking around, he doesn't look like a 95 year old human. Kudos to his genes. And I hope he has many more years of good health!