Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Doctor WHO Thread (Please indicate potential spoilers when discussing current episodes.)

1525354555658»

Comments

• Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    kiwijase said:

Loved "Twice upon a time". A lot more reflective and subdued than I thought it would be. A great send off to Peter Capaldi, and a terrific introduction to Jodie Whittaker! Great to know she's keeping her own accent. Can't wait for the next season.

Tonight, I re-watched this year's Christmas special at a Doctor Who fans meetup held at a local Denny's. Originally, we had planned to watch Capaldi's premiere episode Deep Breath along with his swan song Twice Upon A Time, but our holiday gift exchange ran a tad late, plus this was our first meetup at this new venue (for the past few years, we'd been meeting at a nearby IHOP) so we opted to forgo Deep Breath. One of the members in attendance is deaf, so we watched Twice Upon A Time with subtitles turned on. I'm glad Jodie isn't going to try to mask her accent, though I suspect those subtitles will come in handy during her tenure.
  • Options
    Anyone else planning on attending Gallifrey One this year?
    @Pants , you're still going, right?
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567

Anyone else planning on attending Gallifrey One this year?
    @Pants , you're still going, right?

Yup. I think @ChrisMurrin is going too.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Another milestone was reached this week. The Wanderers in the 4th Dimension Doctor Who podcast that I co-host has wrapped up its coverage of all of classic Doctor Who, as well as the wilderness years (i.e. the mostly non-canonical material released during the show's nearly 16 year hiatus). It's finally time to begin our coverage of the modern era (though, we already covered the 12th Doctor material, and we'll be pausing our chronological coverage again to cover the 13th Doctor once the show resumes). As before, if anyone wishes to join us (via Skype) as a guest co-host on a specific upcoming episode, PM us on our Facebook page with the story you'd like to join us for, and we'll see what we can do to accommodate your request.

• Options
    Twitch is hosting a worldwide, free classic Doctor Who marathon. Over the course of 7+ weeks, Twitch will stream approximately 7 hours of classic Doctor Who per day (repeated 3x a day to accommodate various time zones). The marathon started today.

• Options
    This

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm2PXshWC_0

is a little ridiculous. Makes Who feel like a CW show.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Um... Anyone catch it? We don't have cable, but found that we may be able to access BBC America using a family member's account. We also may just buy it on iTunes. What did everyone think? It may be too soon to comment. Remember to warn about spoilers!
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    fredzilla said:

Um... Anyone catch it? We don't have cable, but found that we may be able to access BBC America using a family member's account. We also may just buy it on iTunes. What did everyone think? It may be too soon to comment. Remember to warn about spoilers!

I tried watching, but my stream was not reliable. Also, the broadcast I was watching had a TON of commercials and drops from a Who panel at NYCC. The interruptions made it even harder to watch on my jittery stream.
  • Options
    Luke82Luke82 Posts: 5
    As someone who had stopped watching a couple of years ago I can honestly say that the Woman Who Fell to Earth was a breath of fresh air. Jodie Whittaker nailed it.
  • Options
    Finally had a chance to watch the first two episodes. I'm going to give it the "Shane" review, "It's fine."
    Whittaker is a bit to loud, expainy, and earnest, At times she comes off as a really energetic 3rd. grade teacher. "Sorting out fair play throughout the universe" made me laugh and cringe at the same time. I'm sure that, given time, the show will relax a bit.

It is BEAUTIFULLY shot. My goodness it's just gorgeous to watch.
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

fredzilla said:

I tried watching, but my stream was not reliable. Also, the broadcast I was watching had a TON of commercials and drops from a Who panel at NYCC. The interruptions made it even harder to watch on my jittery stream.
    The first episode of series 11 is free to watch on BBC America (regardless if one has an account). I watched using Chrome and an ad-block extension (which surprisingly worked just fine, for most video streams make you disable ad-block, but not this one).
  • Options
    In lieu of a carving this year, I turned my Halloween pumpkin into the 13th Doctor's TARDIS. The highlight of the evening was when a group of trick-or-treaters knocked on my door. I was giving out full-size candy bars, but they didn't take a single one. Instead they said, "We're giving you candy because you're a Doctor Who fan" and then they all reached into their bags and dropped a handful of candy into my candy basket. I was absolutely floored.

• Options
    Demons of the Punjab is the first time during season 11 that Who felt "epic" to me.

Very good episode. However. Im still getting a strong " magic school bus" vibe from the show.