Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What Is Your Current Favourite Ongoing Comic Book?

My favourite current ongoing comic book right now would have to be Saga. I'm reading it in trades and I feel like I never know where the story is going to go from one story arc to the next. I could see how this book might not be for everyone but it really works for me. The crazy characters and beautiful artwork by Fiona Staples really draw me into this world. I love the narration by Hazel (one of the main characters in the book) and am always intrigued to find out what will happen next. I also appreciate the in your face storytelling and the fact that no topic seems to be taboo. I love what Brian K. Vaughan is doing with this book and hope that it continues for at least another 50 issues!

What's your favourite current ongoing comic book? Please share, I'm always looking for new books to try?

Comments

• BryanBryan Posts: 207
    Paper Girls or Kill or Be Killed are probably the 2 that always find their way to the top of the pile when I get back from my LCS.
  • chrislchrisl Posts: 78
    Batman by Tom King is my favorite ongoing book.
  • TravisTravis Posts: 35
    Saga. It's amazing. I love Paper Girls too.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Hands down, it's Lazarus.
  • East of West from Jonathan Hickman & Nick Dragotta. It's a crazy sci-fi western series layered with political intrigue that has the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse as prime characters, with Death seeking out his son, to try and bring him home to his mother. The writing is spot-on, with amazing world-building, stellar plotting, and great dialogue, and the art by Dragotta is gorgeous, with a capital "gorge." (I don't know what that means but I'm sticking with it) This series filled the gap for me, when Brandon Graham's Prophet series finished. I love this book!

-chris
  • East of West from Jonathan Hickman & Nick Dragotta. It's a crazy sci-fi western series layered with political intrigue that has the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse as prime characters, with Death seeking out his son, to try and bring him home to his mother.

Thought about going with "East of West" ... but given how sporadically it comes out, I couldn't, in good conscience, consider it an "ongoing" comic. :-) #rimshot

• East of West from Jonathan Hickman & Nick Dragotta. It's a crazy sci-fi western series layered with political intrigue that has the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse as prime characters, with Death seeking out his son, to try and bring him home to his mother.

Thought about going with "East of West" ... but given how sporadically it comes out, I couldn't, in good conscience, consider it an "ongoing" comic. :-) #rimshot

I felt that burn all the way up here in Maine.
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited January 2018

I felt that burn all the way up here in Maine.

Ha! Ya know, as bad as East of West is publishing-wise, it's a model of consistency when compared to "The Dying and the Dead" though.

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Saga, Paper Girls, East of West, Black Monday Murders, Royal City, Dept. H... it depends on what I happen to be reading that day.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    For me it is still Saga, but Kill Or Be Killed and Mister Miracle are very close runners-up.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

East of West from Jonathan Hickman & Nick Dragotta. It's a crazy sci-fi western series layered with political intrigue that has the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse as prime characters, with Death seeking out his son, to try and bring him home to his mother. The writing is spot-on, with amazing world-building, stellar plotting, and great dialogue, and the art by Dragotta is gorgeous, with a capital "gorge." (I don't know what that means but I'm sticking with it) This series filled the gap for me, when Brandon Graham's Prophet series finished. I love this book!

-chris

I read it in trades but, yeah, my favorite ongoing monthly comic as well.
    edited January 2018

East of West from Jonathan Hickman & Nick Dragotta. It's a crazy sci-fi western series layered with political intrigue that has the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse as prime characters, with Death seeking out his son, to try and bring him home to his mother.

East of West is actually pretty consistant. Not exactly monthly but not as bad as a lot of books.
  • Amulet. While not a monthly series, but rather a series of graphic novels, it is still an ongoing story. There are currently seven volumes. It's a fantasy story about a girl and her brother who enter a fantasy world through the basement of their grandfather's house in search of their kidnapped mother. Kazu Kibuishi's artwork is breathtaking and his ability to develop his characters is unparalleled by anyone else I'm currently reading.
  • UltimateThorUltimateThor Posts: 33
    edited January 2018
    Paper Girls - I've read the first 15 issues of Paper Girls and have really enjoyed it, it's the only comic that I've been keeping up with in single issues.

Kill Or Be Killed - I've read the first two trades of Kill Or Be Killed on Hoopla and have really enjoyed them. Brubaker and Phillips never disappoint when it comes to good crime noir. Other works I've read by them are Sleeper, Criminal, Fatale and The Fade Out all of which were great!

Mister Miracle - I have yet to try this title, I'm hoping to read it when it comes available on Hoopla. I also still need to read Tom King's Vision which I've heard great things about!

Batman - I've read the first volume of Tom King's Batman as well as the Night of the Monster Men trade. I thought they were both okay but not great. I plan on reading the second volume off of Hoopla and will continue on with it from there if I enjoy it.

Lazarus - Lazarus is another one of my favourite books, I have the first 4 trades and they were all great! Lazarus vol.5 will be my next read and I'm looking forward to it!

East Of West - I've read the first volume of East Of West, but the story didn't quite grab me. I agree that the art on the book is very beautiful. This is a series that I'll probably return to at some point.

Amulet - I've read the first volume of Amulet and it was a lot of fun, a great all ages book. The artwork in this book is very beautiful as well. I would love to read the rest of this series at some point, thank you for reminding me about it!

Thanks for all the great responses everyone, hopefully we can get some more!
  • KeeganKeegan Posts: 21
    Kill or Be Killed is my favorite hands down. I don't understand all the Mister Miracle love.
  • mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Thanos is my favorite monthly right now. Followed probably by The Unsound.
  • Mister Miracle.

Since we're giving lists, here are the books that always get bumped to the top of my pile:

* Mister Miracle
    * East of West
    * Black Hammer
    * Lazarus
    * The Dying & the Dead
    * The Black Monday Murders
    * Kill or be Killed
    * Batman
    * Thanos
    edited January 2018

Mister Miracle.

Now THAT is a book that doesn't come out often enough *grumble grumble* ...and don't get me started on The Manhattan Projects.

• Mr_Cosmic said:

Now THAT is a book that doesn't come out often enough *grumble grumble* ...and don't get me started on The Manhattan Projects.

Cc: Autumnlands, Ragnarok, Afterlife with Archie, and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.

Mr_Cosmic said:

Cc: Autumnlands, Ragnarok, Afterlife with Archie, and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.

Forgot to include Autumnlands in my list. So good.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Transformers Lost Light which the continuation of More Than Meets the Eye.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Weekly Shonen Jump 150+ pages of comic, every week, for less than a pound per issue.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Trades: Wonder Woman
    Singles: Charlton Arrow
    Manga: Arakawa Under the Bridge
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Mister Miracle.

Since we're giving lists, here are the books that always get bumped to the top of my pile:

* Mister Miracle
    * East of West
    * Black Hammer
    * Lazarus
    * The Dying & the Dead
    * Kill or be Killed
    * Batman
    * Thanos
    I love everything on your list, except I haven’t read East Of West or Thanos yet. Given the company they are keeping I will have to try those.
    David_D said:

Mister Miracle.

* Mister Miracle
    * East of West
    * Black Hammer
    * Lazarus
    * The Dying & the Dead
    * Kill or be Killed
    * Batman
    * Thanos
    I love everything on your list, except I haven’t read East Of West or Thanos yet. Given the company they are keeping I will have to try those.
    East of West is right up your alley, David.
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Batman. Then maybe three way tie between action, super sons and superman?