Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

DC's "Ten Moments That Mattered In 2017" (Spoilers)

Comments

• chrislchrisl Posts: 78
    Maybe Bendis joining DC.
    Still sad about Adam West.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    David_D said:
    What? No mention of how DC blackballed Kirby for more than a decade? ;)
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited January 2018

David_D said:
    Indeed.

And don't forget, despite passing away about 25 years before Disney bought Marvel, this year he was also retconned into being a Disney Legend.

Still, though, at the end of the day, while there is at times a sense of history having some rough edges smoothed out by the victors, it is nice to at least see more and more recognition of Kirby. I just wish it had all come a lot sooner (and had required less of the courts to get there.)
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    David_D said:

David_D said:
    Indeed.

And don't forget, despite passing away about 25 years before Disney bought Marvel, this year he was also retconned into being a Disney Legend.

Still, though, at the end of the day, while there is at times a sense of history having some rough edges smoothed out by the victors, it is nice to at least see more and more recognition of Kirby. I just wish it had all come a lot sooner (and had required less of the courts to get there.)
    Oh sure, better late than never and all that. I just found it kind of insulting that the piece written about "Moments That Mattered" wasn't really about 100 years of Kirby, but rather how DC celebrated/cashed in on (a fine line to tread) his anniversary.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

David_D said:

David_D said:
    Indeed.

Oh sure, better late than never and all that. I just found it kind of insulting that the piece written about "Moments That Mattered" wasn't really about 100 years of Kirby, but rather how DC celebrated/cashed in on (a fine line to tread) his anniversary.
    Sadly, yes. I think that is well put.
  • PeterPeter Posts: 470
    Crisis on Earth X was one heck of a romp. So many of the DC TV characters in one place and they all - more or less - had decent screen time. I even feel like the secondary/supporting characters come across better than in their own respective shows.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    David_D said:

Are there things from DC in 2017 you would add?

Eddie Berganza finally getting fired.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Peter said:

Crisis on Earth X was one heck of a romp. So many of the DC TV characters in one place and they all - more or less - had decent screen time. I even feel like the secondary/supporting characters come across better than in their own respective shows.

Agreed. Crisis really felt like watching a comic book. I loved it from start to finish.

From DC's list I'd say Crisis, the departure of Adam West and the emergence of Wonder Woman were the "big three" for me. Adam West's death mainly because Batman 1966 is and always will be a huge part of my life, and Wonder Woman's movie just because damn it was awesome. :)

And this one is just for me, but that moment in the Justice League movie where Superman "sees" the Flash was worth the ticket price alone and is arguably my favorite cinematic moment of the past year. :)
    I've been watching/rewatching all of DC's cartoons from the beginning and I just got to the Batman live action TV show so I decided to branch off into that. It'll be the first time watching in order and every episode (I've only seen maybe 10-13 in full). The first episode alone was impressive in how deep in Batman lore it went. I'm looking forward to finally investing in that show.
  • David_D said:
    This has been a fun story arc. In particular, Batman Annual #2, which showed how their future together would (possibly?) turn out. One of the single best individual issues of 2017.
  • David_D said:

Are there things from DC in 2017 you would add? Anything from this list you would take off?

Bump Barbatos, and give me Mister Miracle.

• Peter said:

Having not watched Legends this season (time constraints) I had no idea I would have been so choked up over the plot twist they threw in.

They made it work!!