Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1683 Talkback - January 2018 Previews

It's Previews Time! We go over the January 2018 catalog for items shipping to stores beginning in March. (1:21:25)

Listen here.

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Seconding the Milk & Cheese and Beasts of Burden collections. I already have every Milk & Cheese story in my collection, else I would pick this up. Likewise, I already have the Beasts of Burden collection in hardcover (which I got despite already owning all the stories in their original publications).

Re: the pronunciation of Gerads, it's a hard G sound, as in Gandalf, with the accent on the first syllable: GER (rhymes with bear)-ads.

Just a couple of items I'd like to throw in to the mix. The Reprieve by Jean-Pierre Gibrat looks absolutely beautiful, with an interesting story angle to boot. IDW's done a translation of the award-winning European series, and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Has anyone read Retcon from Image? I'm always open to more Toby Cypress artwork, and the story looks pretty wild. I was thinking about picking this first trade up.

And then, of course, a new volume of Kaijumax.
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited January 2018
    Great episode guys.
    ~~~~

Has anyone read Retcon from Image? I'm always open to more Toby Cypress artwork, and the story looks pretty wild. I was thinking about picking this first trade up.

Read the 1st 2 issues. It was just "okay." Not great, not awful, and not enough to keep my interest beyond that.
    ~~~~
    Hey @Pants ... re: turning 50, look at it this way, you'll be just 2 short birthdays away from celebrating that magic number!
    ~~~~
    Random observation: Too bad Murd doesn't have a smartphone, 'cause he'd clean up at Trivia Crack and HQ.
    ~~~~
    The way Chris' Skype connection kept zapping in and out is kind of how I read those bits to myself in Mister Miracle where it looks like you need to adjust the "rabbit ears" to read the panels. :-)

(I keed! I keed! The Skype problem was noticeable, but definitely not a distraction. Gimme static-y Chris over no Chris, any day of the week!)
  • BryanBryan Posts: 207
    @Adam_Murdough Stranger things is available on DVD. Season 1 is, anyway.

https://www.target.com/p/stranger-things-season-1-collector-s-edition-target-exclusive-blu-ray-dvd/-/A-52823816#lnk=sametab

I loved it and highly recommend it, much like almost everyone that's ever watched it.

• matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited January 2018
    Well let's hope things go better for @Pants with Amazing Fantasy #15 than it did with his doppleganger! :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWqVoaYxgRs

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    Bryan said:

https://www.target.com/p/stranger-things-season-1-collector-s-edition-target-exclusive-blu-ray-dvd/-/A-52823816#lnk=sametab

I loved it and highly recommend it, much like almost everyone that's ever watched it.

He can buy stranger things on vhs at Target.
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Bryan said:

And the box is shaped like a VHS cover!

Sister Synchronicity

Isn't that the name of that "Night Ranger"/"The Police" tribute band?

Strangely enough, all the members of the band are nuns.
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552

Sister Synchronicity

Isn't that the name of that "Night Ranger"/"The Police" tribute band?

There is a local (Denver) Clash tribute/cover band called The Nuns of Brixton. They're pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqCezp4MUpM
  • Strangely enough, all the members of the band are nuns.

I loved their big hit "Don't Stand So Close To Me, Sister Christian," as well as their follow-up single, "You Can Still Rock In America, Roxanne." Good times, man. Good times.

I loved their big hit "Don't Stand So Close To Me, Sister Christian," as well as their follow-up single, "You Can Still Rock In America, Roxanne." Good times, man. Good times.

I was always partial to “Walking on the High Road on the Moon”.
  • Thank you, Geeks, for another invaluable episode. I was unaware of the Lone Wolf & Cub gallery edition. With the 40% discount at DCBS, I added it to my order. Can't wait to see Kojima's illustrations in this larger format.
  • After hearing more praise for Black Hammer from Chris on this episode I've decided to make Black Hammer vol. 1 my next read, looking forward to it!
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

After hearing more praise for Black Hammer from Chris on this episode I've decided to make Black Hammer vol. 1 my next read, looking forward to it!

It's very good and I think you'll enjoy it. :)
    @Adam_Murdough it is my understanding that writer Gerry Duggan spent time explaining how the gems are now stones in one of the comics he writes. I have to confess I haven't been reading much Marvel lately and don't know which title it was.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited January 2018
    Mr_Cosmic said:

@Adam_Murdough it is my understanding that writer Gerry Duggan spent time explaining how the gems are now stones in one of the comics he writes. I have to confess I haven't been reading much Marvel lately and don't know which title it was.

Sort of. The search for the stones is an ongoing plot in Guardians of the Galaxy. Guardians of the Galaxy #148 and #150 are the most recent issues that touch on this.

It is a plot point that the Infinity Stones don't resemble the Infinity Gems as Star Lord or the reader remembers them. For example, the Power Stone is now purple, uncut and the size of a house. Why that is though is a mystery. And our heroes are woefully wrong on a lot of things so far - they think Thanos is their enemy, it's Loki - they think nobody knows they've found the Power Stone, at least 2 evil alien regimes know.

Adam Warlock shows up in the latest issue and there's something going on there with regards to the Gem/Stone terminology too. But it's not clear what yet.
    Brack said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Sort of. The search for the stones is an ongoing plot in Guardians of the Galaxy. Guardians of the Galaxy #148 and #150 are the most recent issues that touch on this.

It is a plot point that the Infinity Stones don't resemble the Infinity Gems as Star Lord or the reader remembers them. For example, the Power Stone is now purple, uncut and the size of a house. Why that is though is a mystery. And our heroes are woefully wrong on a lot of things so far - they think Thanos is their enemy, it's Loki - they think nobody knows they've found the Power Stone, at least 2 evil alien regimes know.

Adam Warlock shows up in the latest issue and there's something going on there with regards to the Gem/Stone terminology too. But it's not clear what yet.
    Thanks for the info Brack!
  • Concerning stones and gems, I recently posted something on my facebook about that:
    True believers, 'infinity stones' is not a problem at all:

gemstone
    : a mineral or petrified material that when cut and polished can be used in jewelry

Just like Marie-Claire can be called Marie or Claire, a gemstone can be called gem or a stone. Infinity gem, infinity stone. Whatever.

Finally a stone is not necissarily a rock. Actually, the first meaning is: a concretion of earthy or mineral matter of indeterminate size or shape. Such as a gem.

stone
    : a concretion of earthy or mineral matter: a (1) : such a concretion of indeterminate size or shape (2) : rock

#learntospeakenglish

:)

Given that, I don't really get Murd's problem. Metro, tube, underground, subway. Things have different names.
  • The most interesting covers personally? The big three M-titles:
    Marvel Two-in-One, Ms. Marvel & Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur

Obvious reference, but what's Doom doing on it?

Nuff said

Fantastic Three :)
    @nweathington you saw where your boy Sonny Liew is doing a young Animals book?
    mwhitt80 said:

It's on my to-get list.

mwhitt80 said:

It's on my to-get list.
    Thank goodness we didn't have a "your boy Sonny is writing young Animals" conversation. I would have felt silly. I'm really interested in the new direction of YA
    mwhitt80 said:

mwhitt80 said:

It's on my to-get list.
    Thank goodness we didn't have a "your boy Sonny is writing young Animals" conversation. I would have felt silly. I'm really interested in the new direction of YA
    Come to think of it, I think i mentioned Sonny is drawing the "Eternity Girl" backups running during the crossover event during the Previews episode I guested on. As for the new direction, I'll be getting Eternity Girl, but that's probably it.
    Yeah i kinda remembered something like that in previous a thread. I was just really hoping it wasn't that.
    It's been a long month of jolly Blackburn and manga
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    I second the complaint about Chris' Skype connection: at first I thought he was speaking some different language or something. :wink: Thanks for pointing out that Lemiere mini-series at Dark Horse and the one at Image. I don't have my Previews. I would've missed them. I second Chris' recommendation of X-Men Grand Design #1: It made Chris get up, but it floored me! Infinity Stones or Gems: Ah, who cares? If it's a good story, I'm there.