Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1682 Talkback - Post-Holiday Mishmosh (a.k.a. Comic Talk)

Do you hear what I hear? It's Comic Talk and post-holiday decompression, together in perfect harmony! In this festive episode we open a few Christmas presents, look ahead to the 'DC in D.C.' event later this month, unload a sleighful of trivia and TV talk (Some Spoilers May Apply!), and drink in the conviviality like a fine eggnog. Post-Holiday Mishmosh will always be--just as long as we have we! (1:20:49)

Listen here.

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    @Pants, here's a link to the best price you're likely to get for a Looney Tunes subscription. It's not always this price, but they do this sale several times a year. It's how I get Aquaman.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Re: this episode’s “Muddle”, Abel was visually based on Mark Hanerfeld, who unofficially (and unpaid) worked for DC at the time. He would later become an assistant editor and occasional writer there.
  • chrislchrisl Posts: 78
    Have fun in D.C. @Pants! It was inspired idea that will lead to a once in a lifetime experience. I’m very jealous but I hope you’ll post some pictures of the pages.
  • PeterPeter Posts: 470
    Ditto! I kicked a rock when they announced the dates for DC in DC. I open a show that same weekend so I need to stay in the area. Boooo!
    Jumanji was fun movie with some clever video game riffs.
    I just watched Pants’ 15 seconds of fame on Channel 69. You’re a natural.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited January 2018
    Doesn't Jim Starlin being upset with Marvel always seem inevitable? His beef with Marvel/Brevoort is probably legitimate but I can't say I'm surprised to hear something went wrong.
  • I'll second Pants' praise for the Netflix "Punisher" series. A very solid and coherent story that really hit me emotionally. The acting was absolutely top notch and the pacing was great. With so many of the 13 episode Marvel series, they tend to drag around the 8-10 episode mark, but The Punisher unfolded in an interesting and organic way, bringing so much more dimension to the somewhat 2-dimensional Frank Castle we saw in Daredevil Season 2. Looking forward to Punisher's inevitable confrontation with...well...I won't say. But like Pants, I was thrilled when I realized what was being set up.
  • DmanDman Posts: 163
    I'll second Pants on how hard it was to get through Iron Fist; truly my least favorite of the Marvel Netflix series. It wasn't awful but I think it could've benefited from being just 8 episodes, just like The Defenders, which I loved.

Daredevil (more season 1 than 2), Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage were awesome. I have recommended to those who need to catch up on the Marvel Netflix series that after watching Luke Cage, skip Iron Fist and go straight to The Defenders.
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited January 2018
    Dman said:

I have recommended to those who need to catch up on the Marvel Netflix series that after watching Luke Cage, skip Iron Fist and go straight to The Defenders.

Good to know. I had been holding off on The Defenders, trying to talk myself into watching "Iron Fist" first. Didn't appeal to me to begin with, and especially not in the wake of how badly it got panned.
    ~~~~
    @Pants ... as soon as you started telling the story about getting interviewed outside the movie theater, I knew it'd be worth my time to listen to the entire theme song at the end!
    ~~~~
    Re: Starlin vs Marvel ... not for nothing, but the Thanos book hasn't missed a beat since the new creative team joined. This new story arc with "future Thanos" has been fascinating thus far.
    ~~~~
    Happy (belated) birthday, @Adam_Murdough!
  • I also found Iron Fist a real chore to get through and even The Defenders to a certain extent. I'm looking forward to watching Punisher just haven't had the time yet. I couldn't agree more with Pants about Karen Page (played by Deborah Ann Woll) she does a fantastic job!
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited January 2018

~~~~
    Re: Starlin vs Marvel ... not for nothing, but the Thanos book hasn't missed a beat since the new creative team joined. This new story arc with "future Thanos" has been fascinating thus far.
    ~~~~
    I have to agree.
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    As for me, well I more or less enjoyed the story though the "political stuff" did kind of take me out of the story at first, but that was only the 1st page or two. After that, I was pretty much engrossed. What I DIDN'T GET was the assault team breaking into the (Karnak? Ozzy's polar hideout?) facility from the bottom of page 3 to the end of page 4. And what were those x-rays? Is that how Ozzy figured he had cancer? Everything else I thought was pretty cool. It's not Watchmen, but reminds me of Watchmen and it's a different story altogether. So, thanks guys for that episode and thanks for the enthusiasm (especially nice to hear said enthusiasm from Pants!).
  • alienal said:

What I DIDN'T GET was the assault team breaking into the (Karnak? Ozzy's polar hideout?) facility from the bottom of page 3 to the end of page 4. And what were those x-rays? Is that how Ozzy figured he had cancer?

Good questions, and a good possibility. We now have 10 issues in which that hopefully will get answered.
    I watched the first three episodes of Happy. I can’t believe this on SyFy. It’s insane and Christopher Meloni is great in it.