Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

TV News: Black Lightning!

Black Lightning, previously in development by Fox but passed on to the CW, has found their Black Lightning!

Before all the news surrounding the show has been that it's just a project in development. So I wasn't tempted to make a thread. But now we have our main hero cast. Seems to be getting a little more real. Now we just need the pilot green lit.

Part of me is all, "ANOTHER CW DC TV show?" but the other part of me is fist pumping for joy.

Comments

• CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I wonder if Sinbad will get a cameo?

New photo out showing the suit!
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736

New photo out showing the suit!

Are you sure that’s not Black Bolt?
    The only things missing are the tuning fork on his forehead and the wings under the arms. I think they’re just screwing with Marvel before they can release the Inhumans movie. ;)
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited March 2017
  • Damn...this show just can't ANY good will here. Am I the only person that's looking forward to it? I mean, Black Lightning is a great character, and has some pretty good stories told. The trade of his late 70's series was a great addition to my collection...

And his 'Year One' story wasn't MY favorite but it was pretty popular among ALOT of people.

Not to mention each of these DC CW shows bring in SO many more corners of the DCU that I'm definitely excited to see what else they bring to the table.
    Oh, I like Black Lightning as a character. Read it as a kid during the '70s, really enjoyed the '90s series (well most of it; it kind of fell apart the last three or four issues), and I thought the Year One story was a solid story. I just think the costume looks way too much like Black Bolt. In fact it looks more like Black Bolt than the live-action Black Bolt costume does. Plus I'm not a fan of the CW shows on the whole.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Black Lighting is not going to be part of the CW shared universe, according to CW President Mark Pedowitz: Black Lightning will be filmed in Atlanta, while the other four shows are filmed in Vancouver.

Here's the first trailer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZpJeuXo2CY
  • CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729

Black Lighting is not going to be part of the CW shared universe, according to CW President Mark Pedowitz: Black Lightning will be filmed in Atlanta, while the other four shows are filmed in Vancouver.

Seems like a waste. Just because it's filming in another location doesn't mean it can't be part of the same universe. Additionally, who said existing in the same universe means it NEEDS to have crossovers or guest appearances?

NOT a fan of the big bright LED lightning bolts on his suit. Maybe that opinion will change as I watch the show, but right now...not very appealing...and actually visually distracting as I'm trying to watch what's happening.

But, as I've said before, I'm all on board to give this one a shot. They just need to produce a quality show. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

• neilzaneilza Posts: 12
    Based on watching the trailer, i'm sold!

Even my Girlfriend is wanting to watch it so that must be a plus.

Looking forward to it!
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Anyone else catch the pilot? I enjoyed it mainly because I've been an Outsiders reader pretty much from the get-go and they've managed to cover both (of the longer-running) iterations of the book with this one.

I could see a cross-over with Arrow...possibly Flash...down the road once it gets its legs, but I hope they give this one a chance to find those legs first. It's got a lot of potential.

Anyone else? Yea? Nay?
  • SUCH. A. GOOD. PILOT.

Wow
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Glad I bought the season on iTunes. Halfway through the pilot and I agree with @CageNarleigh. Looks like this is DC's worthy response to Netflix's Luke Cage.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I'm digging it. Good stuff.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Looks like it had a strong ratings debut, as well.
  • PeterPeter Posts: 470
    edited January 2018
    Best thing about it: it's not for me. They didn't try to even out the acting or dialogue or physical performances of their actors. They didn't try to condition the show to be "familiar" to audiences. They allowed this world to be what it needs to be for the story they are telling and for the additional audience they are hoping to attract. I love that the majority of the actors are not me. This is their world. And I have to catch up and immerse myself in its language, music, dynamics, etc. Love love love that. It's no wonder this TV show and Black Panther are so anticipated.

I also appreciated that the story and characters came first, comic book beats/superhero set up second. Smartest CW show yet. Like the DC version of the Wire.
  • chrislchrisl Posts: 78
    Peter said:

Best thing about it: it's not for me. They didn't try to even out the acting or dialogue or physical performances of their actors. They didn't try to condition the show to be "familiar" to audiences. They allowed this world to be what it needs to be for the story they are telling and for the additional audience they are hoping to attract. I love that the majority of the actors are not me. This is their world. And I have to catch up and immerse myself in its language, music, dynamics, etc. Love love love that. It's no wonder this TV show and Black Panther are so anticipated.

I also appreciated that the story and characters came first, comic book beats/superhero set up second. Smartest CW show yet. Like the DC version of the Wire.

Nice! I love the praise I’m hearing about this show. Something to look forward to watching over the weekend.
  • I'm looking forward to checking this show out, I believe it's coming to Netflix in Canada later in the month!
  • monomono Posts: 3
    I was impressed by soooo many things with this show, in terms of its maturity. And I find the main character a super-affable guy. It’s just… he doesn’t have much range. All the Marvel Netflix characters, even if their shows were so-so, Luke Cage, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, the leads are well developed and show a lot of humanity. Especially allowing for their flaws & understandable weaknesses. I didn’t get that w/ the lead in BL, despite how much I wanted to like him. He seemed too much like a TV actor Dad. Also, the action scenes were soooo terrible. I personally think the lightning suit looks ridiculous.

I’ll keep watching, because I really appreciate where they took the show, how dark they let it become, and how human most of the peripheral characters are portrayed. Maybe it’ll grow into itself over time.
  • BryanBryan Posts: 207
    Peter said:

I don't know that I'd go that far, but otherwise this mirrors my thoughts pretty closely. I really liked the first episode.

• BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Turns out this is a "Netflix Original" here in the UK, so I will have to check it out there.
  • Watched the first episode of Black Lightning on Netflix yesterday (It's a Netflix Original in Canada) and really enjoyed it. I'm not really a DC guy and have never read a Black Lightning comic but I think I'll continue watching this show.
  • MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    It seems like their already heading towards a possible Outsiders team, already have 3 members floating around. Probably like a Season 2 or 3 thing.
  • PeterPeter Posts: 470
    I'm all for that!
  • Just watched the pilot. Fantastic! I'm extra glad that Luke Cage has paved the way for similarly urban superhero interpretations to make their way onto the TV screen. Black Lightning pulls no punches with the difficulties of race relations and dealing with the police, and it works incredibly well. Add to that the integration of my favorite run of Outsiders characters and I'm way happy. Hell, maybe they can find a way to fit Owen Mercer in while they're at it!