Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Introduce Yourself-- And Play Two Truths and a Lie...

Comments

• KeeganKeegan Posts: 21
    Number 3 is false.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Keegan said:

Number 3 is false.

Ha! Okay, so what's the story on 'Deuces High'?
  • KeeganKeegan Posts: 21

Keegan said:

Number 3 is false.

Ha! Okay, so what's the story on 'Deuces High'?
    My life long dream was to create a comic book. I realized early on in my child hood that I had little to no artistic ability. I had found the book "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way" and would use that book to draw and create my own characters. One of the more crazy characters I designed was a hero that looked a lot like a "storm trooper" from Empire Strikes Back. I named him "Penetrater" (a Punisher rip-off). That was suggestive looking on so many levels! Lol!
    I grew up and got a job at a locally owned print shop. I worked five years learning how to run a press and layout magazines. One day it occurred to me I could print my own comic. The owners were gracious enough to allow me to use their presses after hours and I bought all the supplies. I had a friend who was an amazing artist named Coley Rushing. I contacted him and asked if I payed him would he like to draw a comic for me, he was excited. We met and he showed me some character designs but wanted me to write the story. His character designs were great but I had my own story I wanted to tell but he assured me he would draw the story.
    I never seen it coming... He took over everything. He shows up at my house with the first few pages done, it was not my story, he had just drawn what he wanted. I worked out the dialogue to make sense in the story I was trying to tell and he would go along for awhile then give me a page of art that was totally something he had dreamed up. My dream of writing and publishing my own comic was turning into a disappointment.
    I was dealing with an artist who wanted to make HIS comic. I was able to get some of my concepts into the story but he wanted to change the dialogue. The final straw was when he wanted the villain to say "resistance is futile". I was always listed as the writer but when I was getting ready for press, I did what so many movie directors have done, I took my name off the writer's credit. I listed myself as an editor. It was a tough lesson for me. I had to deal with Diamond to get listed in Previews, which was a hassle. We had a little over 500 comics pre-ordered. I designed, printed, collated, stapled, and touched every issue. I put so many hours into that one comic, I couldn't imagine doing it again. I lost money of course and the little check Diamond sent to us I gave to Coley. He deserved it for all the hours he put into the pages of art. Coley and I are still friends but I learned my lesson working with artists. I'm proud that we were able to get listed in Previews, get the comics printed, shipped and into comic stores. The complete process from beginning to end! I have a unique view of what the indy guys deal with.
    Years later I was on ComicbookDB.com and seen somebody had put our "Deuces High" comic in the database. If you look at the cover you'll see me listed, "K. Hall". As for the cover, I was most proud of the red kisses I screened onto the cover in the printing process!
    http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=167934
    http://comicbookdb.com/graphics/comic_graphics/1/548/167934_20130517213156_large.jpg
    I later worked with another artist friend of mine and we did a comic for a local Anime club. All my story and dialogue, and he drew the book. Only about 50 people have seen that comic but I'm more proud of it. It was a great experience. I'm not talented enough to write in the industry, but I finally fulfilled my life long dream of creating a comic! (Now all my creative efforts are put into serving the Lord.)
    On a side note... Alterna Comics that is soliciting in Previews is on to something! They are using newsprint and charging $1.00 to $1.50. The newsprint is a cheap way to go and make a comic affordable again. Previews is printed with over 600 pages and charges $3.99. It can be done cheap, if they want to! Print it cheap but reprint it in trade on deluxe paper... just like the Manga from Japan.
    Thanks for asking about the comic I published!
  • QuimBouQuimBou Posts: 1
    imageHi everybody!
    I'm a Catalan comic artist and I've just created a free app so people can read my comics. They're adventure & fantasy comics.
    I don't represent any company… I'm just an author that's a little crazy! :D

I'm checking out blogs and forums of English comic readers to get my work known.
    If you have an iPad and you're interested, you can download the app and two complete albums for free…

https://itunes.apple.com/app/orn-is/id1163726697?mt=8

If you want more information, please click on the link below:

http://www.quimbou.com/en/app

Thanks !
    (Hope I haven't taken up too much of your time! )
  • Howdy to everyone out in the CGS world. I have been listening to the podcast for almost 5 years now. I got into the comics about them when a buddy of mine started telling me various storylines. I was hooked from there. Up until then I was exclusively a massive Transformers fan and still am but now I have expanded my horizons to add superhero comics. Now to the two truths and a lie......

1 I have a transformer toy collection of nearly 1600.
    2 I know the meaning of every word Murd uses during the podcast
    3 My DC comics exposure stated with the New 52
  • DanDareDanDare Posts: 27
    Greetings and Salutations from Planet Leiv. I have been listening to CGS at the gym and at home since I discovered it a few months ago and my wife of 26 yrs is listening too and is finally really becoming interested in comics! Wish I found it sooner!

I began collecting comics 53 yrs ago. My first comic was a (Batman 3D special issue featuring the Penguin (any info?) that my folks got me when I was six. About that time Look magazine (or Life- I forget) had a mini comic strip sized abridged Spider-Man v the Vulture sampler stapled to the cover and.. well I got a copy... (any info?). Very soon after I found a stack of old comics for a dime at the annual Birney Elementary School fair and kite contest. (Also my first date, Diana Lewis, who held my hand and I didn't mind the cooties!) Inside was a Tales of Suspense Cap/ Shell Head, a Strange Tales with Ditko's Doc, Avengers #4 I kid you not! and a late '50s Adventure Comics (a Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes story). All for two measly 5 cent tkts!!!

Now let the games begin!

1) I am smarter than Albert Einstein and Nicola Tesla combined.
    2) I can jump higher than a mighty skyscraper in a single bound!
    3) I love peanut butter.
    I've been doing a little research and I think that 3D Batman must have been the 1966 reprint as the only other I can find was issued in 1953 and the book I remember was new. I can remember those cool 3D glasses like it was last week! Of course, the TV show came out then and Bat-mania was hitting the second grade hard! Ergo, this was almost certainly after the comics I picked up at the fair- and the fair was definitely first grade because the Marvel heroes after school cartoon show didn't come out until '66 and I already knew all the characters from the comics by then.

Still can't find a darn thing about that promotional mini-Spidey comic. Anyone ever hear of such a thing? 3-4" X 6-8" and stapled to the cover of a major magazine? Was that Stan or Goodman's way of getting around that eight title distribution max deal with National?
    ...just musing out loud... insomnia inducing enigmas...
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    DanDare said:

I've been doing a little research and I think that 3D Batman must have been the 1966 reprint as the only other I can find was issued in 1953 and the book I remember was new. I can remember those cool 3D glasses like it was last week! Of course, the TV show came out then and Bat-mania was hitting the second grade hard! Ergo, this was almost certainly after the comics I picked up at the fair- and the fair was definitely first grade because the Marvel heroes after school cartoon show didn't come out until '66 and I already knew all the characters from the comics by then.

Still can't find a darn thing about that promotional mini-Spidey comic. Anyone ever hear of such a thing? 3-4" X 6-8" and stapled to the cover of a major magazine? Was that Stan or Goodman's way of getting around that eight title distribution max deal with National?
    ...just musing out loud... insomnia inducing enigmas...

Are you sure is was the Vulture? Could it have been Eye #2 (which was about the size of Life magazine) instead, with its reprint of Amazing Spider-Man #42?

Thanks for that but no, I'm sure it was the Vulture (bald version) I think Ditko & I think a very abridged reprint of ASM #2 (fight sequence only?) and it was newspaper strip sized & stapled to outside cover. It was some mag my conservative parents who were in their early forties might have bought.
    Wow what a time
    Wow what a time machine that Eye mag cover is! "Inside you'll find Steve McQueen centerpunching Passionate Tim Hardin" Hmm.. what is it that this Hardin fellow is passionate about and why is the King of Cool punching him?
  • Hello!
    That name is what says above but since I'm Portuguese the "Jorge" is pronounced as a "J" and not an "R". ;)
    I've been away from the forums for a long time and am now returning to check who everyone's doing.
    Feels great to be back here!
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Hello!
    That name is what says above but since I'm Portuguese the "Jorge" is pronounced as a "J" and not an "R". ;)
    I've been away from the forums for a long time and am now returning to check who everyone's doing.
    Feels great to be back here!

Welcome back!
  • UltimateThorUltimateThor Posts: 33
    edited January 2018
    Hey everyone, I'm a long time listener of the CGS podcast and used to be active on The Comic Forums in the past. After seeing Peter's call to arms on his twitter account I decided to rejoin and say hi. My username and avatar is a homage to Marvel's Ultimate line of comics which helped get me back into the hobby.

Two Truths and a Lie:
    1. My favourite comic run is Ultimate Spider-Man.
    2. I've never had a cup of coffee.
    3. I think comics are getting more and more affordable :wink:
  • PeterPeter Posts: 470
  • Thanks Peter, nice to see you on the forums as well.
    edited January 2018

Thanks Peter, nice to see you on the forums as well.

I thought you sounded familiar. Welcome back!

PS- I miss the Ultimate line. I would have preferred them to keep it, and maybe have less duplication across the regular MU.
  • I miss the Ultimate line as well, it was fun being able to follow an entire "Marvel" universe and only having to pick up 3-4 monthly books plus the odd mini-series.
  • Hello,
    Name is Spano. I’ve been around the forums for a few iterations and heard they were getting busy again so I decided to come back. I don’t read as much as I used to read, but I’m looking for suggestions.

The Game
    1) classically trained Chef.
    2) cosplay as Arthur the moth
    3) once out baby in a corner.
  • Hey Spano, I remember seeing you on past forums, welcome back!
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited January 2018
    SpanoMano said:

FALSE!

• Hey Spano, I remember seeing you on past forums, welcome back!

Thanks, glad to be back.
  • SpanoMano said:

FALSE!

You are correct sir!
  • It's okay, Baby. I went slumming too, once.
  • Geez...disappear for a few years and all these punk kids have taken over the neighborhood.

Geez...disappear for a few years and all these punk kids have taken over the neighborhood.

There goes the neighborhood!
  • CleafusCleafus Posts: 5
    Hi, I'm Mike. I've been collecting comics since the late 70's. Took a break from early 90's to 2007 where I dove back in. I've been listening to the fellas for a number of years now and finally joined up here.

1. I worked/managed at a comic shop in the early eighties.
    2. I met Andy Warhol in 1986.
    3. I have four daughters.
    Welcome aboard, @Cleafus !

I think it is #3:

You actually have *five* daughters.
  • CleafusCleafus Posts: 5
    David_D said:

Welcome aboard, @Cleafus !

I think it is #3:

You actually have *five* daughters.

Hi David, you are correct with #3 but wrong number. I have 2 daughters. :)