Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Music Thread

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736

DAR said:

So you're given the chance to show up anywhere you want with entrance music. What are you picking? It can also be multiple.

For me I'd go with either the beginning of Eminence Front, Jump Around or Throw Your Set in the Air.

Fugazi's Waiting Room.
    An excellent choice.
    edited October 2017
    DAR said:

So you're given the chance to show up anywhere you want with entrance music. What are you picking? It can also be multiple.

For me I'd go with either the beginning of Eminence Front, Jump Around or Throw Your Set in the Air.

Gorillaz, "Clint Eastwood".
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608

DAR said:

Gorillaz, "Clint Eastwood".
    Great choice.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    On.

Keep movin' on.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Other candidates:

Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)
    Show Me How to Live - Audioslave
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    Other candidate for me;
    1000 Homo DJ's - Supernaut. Love that opening guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjho-zVgDXo
  • DAR said:

"Sharp Dressed Man" by ZZ Top. In my younger years, I used to get a friend of mine to play this on the jukebox at the local bars and text me when it started playing. I'd be smoking right outside the door and would burst in during the opening riff. Always a head-turner. That song was made to be entrance music.

• bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited October 2017
    Happy birthday to the late Tom Petty. The world only lost him a couple of weeks ago, but what a loss...

Do yourself a solid and hit play on this jam and then close your eyes and listen to the whole thing. It's perhaps the greatest cover of a mid-sixties classic by the band "Them," and written by Van Morrison. Stick with it because this song doesn't exactly go where you think it will.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Petty, and thanks for all the great, great, timeless music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0IKACUduE4

And if you haven't watched this yet, add it to your queue immediately: https://www.netflix.com/title/70082634
    Mal is/was/always shall be the definition of rhythm guitarist to me.
  • Saw them live back in ’88. Still the loudest show I've ever attended.
    I really like AC/DC.
    Back in Black was thier only good album, but they had a ton of great songs. Man they could rock.

Top five AC/DC songs (card subject to change)
    Thunderstruck
    TNT
    Dirty Deeds
    Back in Black
    For Those About to Rock

Thunderstruck and Back in Black are my two favorite AC/DC songs, but when you look at thier catalog it's hard not to want to make a bigger list.
  • mwhitt80 said:

Back in Black was thier only good album, but they had a ton of great songs.

Back in Black was certainly their best album, but I have a certain fondness for Let There Be Rock, which I think is a fairly solid album, and while Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap has some weak spots, it also has a rawness and energy to it that elevates it to “good” status on the whole, at least for my money.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    If you've never owned an AC/DC album, then Stephen King's Maximum Overdrive soundtrack album is a nice collection of tunes to dip your toe in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sehnCTCgq44&list=PLJhx8yx1o2MPbK7Q98jUWZkuN03_zbZi9
    So I started listening to Rock Talk with Mitch Lafon. My Spotify has gone really rock heavy the last two months.

Something to try Psychotic Symphony by Son's of Apollo. I'm trying to process the record; it starts with a 10 minute song. I'm enjoying it a lot.
    I gotta throw Highway to Hell in there among their best. Girls Got Rhythm and If You Want Blood are both great tracks.
    edited November 2017
    Tough few days for music David Cassidy passed away.
    He may not be the rock God or country legend or pop king we usually celebrate. The truth is I just loved watching Partridge Family in syndication. Plus he was a pretty good pop star. I'm not going to lie and say I'm heartbroken, but I enjoyed his work.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I ran across an 80's mix on Spotify today. It goes without saying but

99 Luftballons>99 Red Balloons
  • 99 Red Balloons (7 Seconds)>99 Luftballoons (Nena)>99 Red Ballons (Nena)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZQYevBymbw
  • R.I.P. Tommy Keene. Underappreciated by the broader music community, but a brilliant artist.
    Man I love the Marvelous 3; I've jammed out to the Hey! Album more time than I care to admit.
  • I've been listening to my Genesis albums over the last few weeks. A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering are two of the greatest consecutive albums released during the same year I've ever listened to.

I've been listening to my Genesis albums over the last few weeks. A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering are two of the greatest consecutive albums released during the same year I've ever listened to.

Fun game
    First thought was
    Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters and Colours and Shapes

But then I went to the DMX trilogy
    Flesh of my Flesh
    It's Dark and Hell's Hot
    And Then There was X
    3 albums in two years all four mics.
  • mwhitt80 said:

I've been listening to my Genesis albums over the last few weeks. A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering are two of the greatest consecutive albums released during the same year I've ever listened to.

Fun game
    First thought was
    Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters and Colours and Shapes

But then I went to the DMX trilogy
    Flesh of my Flesh
    It's Dark and Hell's Hot
    And Then There was X
    3 albums in two years all four mics.
    If I were to consider quantity in addition to quality, I would look no further than Mr. Frank Zappa. What does one get when combining a mad musical genius with an unscrupulous record label? Ten albums released over the span of two years in 1979 and 1980.

1979 brought us Sleep Dirt, Sheik Yerbouti, Orchestral Favorites, Joe's Garage Act I, and Joe's Garage Act II & III. 1980's contributions are Tinsel Town Rebellion, Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar, Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar Some More, Return of the Son of Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar, and You Are What You Is.
    The Beatles: Sgt. Pepper's and Magical Mystery Tour.

Or maybe Led Zeppelin I and II.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I was trying to think of what to listen to this afternoon. And then I thought Creedence Clearwater Revival is always a good choice. And it has been
  • DAR said:

I was trying to think of what to listen to this afternoon. And then I thought Creedence Clearwater Revival is always a good choice. And it has been

What always amazes me about CCR is how much solid material they managed to release in four short years.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Summer concert tickets have been going on sale. On the slate so far for the family are Weezer & The Pixies, Poison & Cheap Trick and Steely Dan & the Doobie Brothers. Hopefully more to come.

I'm on the fence about seeing Slayer with some friends. Tickets are already in hand, just not a huge Slayer fan.
  • Greg said:

Summer concert tickets have been going on sale. On the slate so far for the family are Weezer & The Pixies, Poison & Cheap Trick and Steely Dan & the Doobie Brothers. Hopefully more to come.

I'm on the fence about seeing Slayer with some friends. Tickets are already in hand, just not a huge Slayer fan.

I saw Cheap Trick open for Robert Plant years and years ago, and they’re really fun live. They could do better than Poison. And I'd love to see the Weezer/Pixies show, but Steely Dan without Walter Becker?
    In 2000 between Pinkerton and the green album (must have been right around the recording of the green album) a group of students at UGA got Weezer to play a super small show in Athens and I missed it. Still kicking myself for not joining the Weezer club.