Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Logan (Spoilers) - Seen it? Discuss it here!

A new thread to get into the spoilers. (With a tip of the hat to @Mr_Cosmic for the reminder).

Have at it! Hoping to see it in the next few days, too.

Comments

• spidspid Posts: 203
    edited March 2017
    To put it simply Logan is a fantastic movie. The emotional beats hit all the right notes. The action scenes while sometimes hard to follow in the beginning are phenomenal. I am glad the film going audience finally gets to see the essence of who Wolverine is in the comics. Wolverine is a man with many flaws, and the X-Men make him a better man. This movie takes no shortcuts in laying all those flaws bare for you to see.

Logan is so good that it makes me more upset that Fox has churned out some really compromised X-Men movies in the past. They were not all bad of course Deadpool is great, and X-Men First Class hits the right notes for the most part. In lot of cases there is just a fundamental disconnect between who the X-Men and Fantastic Four are, and what is presented on the screen. I am glad to see they are getting out of the way and letting some of their movies be what they are should have always been.

Lastly you have to give it up for Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart who have played the same characters for 18 years, and you never feel like they are just there for a paycheck. They are always trying to do their best with what they are given.

• RickMRickM Posts: 407
    X-23 is a fantastic character. I thought she was a breath of fresh air in the X-Men franchise.

Overall, the movie is intriguing. I loved the set-up of the near-future, very dark story and the way they kept the cast of characters relatively small. You have Logan, Xavier, Laura, and the bald guy and that's pretty much it for mutants.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited March 2017
    Loved it. It was a brutal, violent movie that was also very touching. I admit that I'm a sucker for "the old washed up hero saving the day one last time" type of stories.

Nitpicks and questions:

The North Dakota/Canadian border is very flat in the east and a litttle more "hilly" in the west. No mountain passes or forests..sorry.

How convenient that Logan and Xavier had a mutant tracker living with them for the bad guys to exploit.

They were able to find Eden from the coordinates..how? Especially as they got closer and X-23 was driving. I don't remember seeing a GPS and road maps wouldn't help.

All those kids got to Eden but no adults made it?

What exactly was Eden really(hunting camp? Forest ranger camp?) and how did it's location end up in a comic?

They hinted that Xavier had done something bad..what was it?

• spidspid Posts: 203
    Mr_Cosmic said:

All those kids got to Eden but no adults made it?

What exactly was Eden really(hunting camp? Forest ranger camp?) and how did it's location end up in a comic?

They hinted that Xavier had done something bad..what was it?

Xavier had a seizure that injured 400 people and killed at least seven X-Men. They basically flipped the Old Man Logan big reveal to be Prof X who killed the X-Men instead of Logan.

• CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    Best X-Men movie.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    My one criticism; too much swearing. I don't mind swearing (I fucking do it all the time), but sometimes it felt like they swore because of the R rating. It felt forced.

M
  • Best part of the movie? Hearing Professor X say...

• WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Finally got to see it.

Beautiful.

First X-Men script worthy of Patrick Stewart. (It's tough watching him play feeble and fragile--I'm glad I just saw the videos of him and his new rescue dog, and know he was just Acting!)
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Finally saw it last night. It was good. Depressing, but good. Good as it was though, I think it's getting a bit more praise than it deserves. It really wasn't THAT spectacular. I was really expecting to be blown away by something based on reviews and word of mouth. Also seemed there was going to be some big reveal or something. Just a bunch a fights with lots of slashing, death and blood with some good performances.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Wow. This looks really cool and makes me sad.

Logan Noir comes included as a bonus feature on the Logan Blu-ray coming out next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPXb7cMSnkY

As I recall, Mad Max: Fury Road also released a b&w version.

This is an interesting essay that posits that Logan is the peak of the superhero films and will mark the end of the genre. Give it a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Sn_wN2p44

“If Marvel and DC do not eventually deliver a final ending, then they are depriving the audience not only of one of the fundamental parts of a good story but also the most beautiful and most emotionally touching parts as well.”
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131

“If Marvel and DC do not eventually deliver a final ending, then they are depriving the audience not only of one of the fundamental parts of a good story but also the most beautiful and most emotionally touching parts as well.”

Sounds like something I'd say after reading an event by the Big Two.

• CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178

This is an interesting essay that posits that Logan is the peak of the superhero films and will mark the end of the genre. Give it a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Sn_wN2p44

I wonder how the television side of the super hero genre affects this? A lack of a story ending may be the demise of the movie side, but I think the over saturation of the tv market will be a major factor in the eventual demise of the genre overall. More and more shows seem to being produced of generally a lesser quality than what came before. How much longer will these types of shows be supported?
  • SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    I maybe finally getting around to watching Logan tonight. Maybe.
    Steeven said:

I maybe finally getting around to watching Logan tonight. Maybe.

I found it to be one of the best X-Men films to date. I think you may enjoy it.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Logan scored a Best Adapted Screenplay nomination. That's actually pretty big.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    DAR said:

Are they claiming it was adapted from Old Man Logan? That would be a stretch.
    Mr_Cosmic said:

DAR said:

Isn’t it more an adaptation of X-23 story?
    DAR said:

Is it? I’ll admit I’ve never paid attention to those kinds of things. Even when I was watching award shows.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Mr_Cosmic said:

DAR said:

I would guess that it is adapted as it is 'Based on the Marvel Comics Characters', rather than because it is a direct adaptation of a single existing story. (Which, admittedly, stretches the definition of adaptation).

But at the same time, strategically, I can see why they didn't try to have it compete as Best Original Screenplay. Because, even though Logan is not an adaptation of a single, particular story, for the people on the nominating committee for that category, it would be a hard sell for something that is seen as the last part in a long franchise, and featuring characters that have existed in decades of comics, as "original".

Rather, what they could compete on is what they with those existing characters, who the nominating committee might associate with very different kinds of stories and movies. Competing in adapted screenplay gives them the narrative of unexpected execution. A sort of 'We made THIS with THAT', if you know what I mean.

I don't know if what ends up in Original vs. Adapted are defined by clear rules, or if the producers submitting a work have leeway to make that call. It reminds me of what sometimes happens in the definitions of what is a lead role vs a supporting. Often a lot of campaign strategy comes into play as far as who or what to submit to what.
    According to Wikipedia it lists the nomination as Based on Characters from X-Men Comics and Films
    Matt said:

DAR said:

Is it? I’ll admit I’ve never paid attention to those kinds of things. Even when I was watching award shows.

Apart from Heath Ledger winning for the Dark Knight most comic book films are given the technical nominations. The writers guild essentially looked at this as one of the ten best films of th3 year
  • chrislchrisl Posts: 78
    I was hoping Patrick Stewart would get a Best Supporting Actor nomination. I think he was excellent in the movie and it will probably be his last time playing the part.
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    chrisl said:

I was hoping Patrick Stewart would get a Best Supporting Actor nomination. I think he was excellent in the movie and it will probably be his last time playing the part.

Agree imo Stewart’s performance was what elevated this movie and makes it worthy of much of the praise it’s received... outside of that, I personally think it’s rather overrated. Thought it was good, but just not as great as everyone else seems to.
    batlaw said:

chrisl said:

Agree imo Stewart’s performance was what elevated this movie and makes it worthy of much of the praise it’s received... outside of that, I personally think it’s rather overrated. Thought it was good, but just not as great as everyone else seems to.
    I think it was head & shoulders better then any of the other comic book movies I saw last year.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited January 2018
    batlaw said:

chrisl said:

I had a similar feeling. I thought Stewart (and Stephen Merchant as Caliban) were great. And I loved the first two acts of the film. But I thought the ending was very conventional and a letdown. I also think they painted themselves into a corner by having a finale that was filled with children who, at the end of the day, they were not going to show getting mowed down by bullets. By in the world they had set up, there was no reason why the baddies would not have just shot all those kids. I also thought the Reavers were disappointing. I wish they had gone bigger with them. There were all those shots of that one guy's cybernetic hand. Did he ever do anything with it that mattered to the story? So I thought it largely fell apart at the end.

And while I applaud them for actually having Logan die, a thing we never see in these franchise movies (and I would have liked to see in the third movie of the Nolan Batman trilogy), I found myself watching the funeral scene and thinking, "You're not really going to have her quote the whole speech from Shane, are you?"" and cringing. That idea feels like a bit of first draft largesse that should have been killed on the way to later drafts. But, nope, they shot that. Put it in. And, I would guess, sent a check to whoever wrote Shane. That just felt like something out of screenplay land.

Don't get me wrong-- I think it was still a strong movie. Worlds better than the other Wolverine movies. And I liked how different it was from some other superhero movies. But I don't think I loved it the way a lot of other people did.

(And I would not have nominated it for screenplay. But I think the acting was great.)