Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    One of my favorite games is turning 25.
    In April I'll be celebrating catching on fire and rim shattering Boomshakalaka dunks. Always go with the Hornets.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited February 2018
    mwhitt80 said:

Have you ever not bought a comic project because one of the creators is an insufferable ass? I'm right there now.
    I'm really interested in something this creator is doing, but I'm not sure he could have a project I would even take the time to pirate.

Yup, there are a few like that for me.
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited February 2018
    mwhitt80 said:

Have you ever not bought a comic project because one of the creators is an insufferable ass? I'm right there now.
    I'm really interested in something this creator is doing, but I'm not sure he could have a project I would even take the time to pirate.

That's happened to me a number of times. Sometimes it bothers me but most of the time I get over it pretty easily. I simply remind myself that there's such an overwhelming amount of good material being published right now and even more that's already been published that I still haven't read and that I just can't justify wasting regret on passing up a project because I have issues with a creator.
  • Options
    Weird Sad Fishing Report:

My brother builds fishing rods. I have been replacing all my rods with ones he's constructed; they are fantastic. However on the way to my parents house for Christmas my daughter broke the tip off the Blue Bomber. So I'm currently saving up for it's replacement.
    On a positive note I'm actually getting better at bass fishing. YouTube is a heck of a resource.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    I really enjoy saying, "Milkman Man".
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I decided not to support a particular artist's back catalog of trades when he endlessly whined and boycotted "red states" after Trump was elected.

After a couple of months, I decided I was, in effect, boycotting him, and that's dickish behavior and have since made my peace with his juvenile comments. Then I thought he would probably really get irritated that someone with differing political views was buying and enjoying his stuff.

It's really such a silly mind-screw if you let it get to you.
  • Options
    I stopped buying anything by a writer who shall remain nameless after he got an artist friend of mine kicked off a book they were doing together. This was a pretty high-profile book from one of the Big Two, and my friend wasn't able to get any work from unsaid company for quite a while.
  • Options

I stopped buying anything by a writer who shall remain nameless after he got an artist friend of mine kicked off a book they were doing together. This was a pretty high-profile book from one of the Big Two, and my friend wasn't able to get any work from unsaid company for quite a while.

That happens far too much in the industry. I don't have any friends working in comics, so I can't relate personally. However, as a fan, I've read of far too many creators' careers end or become stalled, not based on their talent but simply because the wrong person didn't like them or had some other agenda.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited February 2018

That happens far too much in the industry. I don't have any friends working in comics, so I can't relate personally. However, as a fan, I've read of far too many creators' careers end or become stalled, not based on their talent but simply because the wrong person didn't like them or had some other agenda.
    Yeah, it happens, but usually there's nothing malicious behind it. There might just be someone one of the creators is more comfortable working with, or an editor feels the need to shake things up for whatever reason or just doesn't think an artist is right for a book. It’s usually a subjective decision. This wasn’t. This guy was simply blaming declining sales on my friend’s artwork simply because he’s rather stylized, and some fans didn’t care for it, rather than taking any of the responsibility himself (and if my friend hadn’t been drawing the book, I would not have been buying it in the first place). And this guy developed a reputation in the industry for being an ass. He’s gone back to doing creator-owned work now, so he’s pretty easy to avoid.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    A short article on Brian Pulido and his use of Kickstarter.

His newest Lady Death project just launched last night and is already over $130,000.
  • Options
    Greg said:

His newest Lady Death project just launched last night and is already over $130,000.

I'm not a Lady Death kind of guy, but I'm very happy for Brian. He’s a really good dude, and deserves the success.
  • Options
    Greg said:

He really hustles; it seems like Brian has a new Lady Death project ever quarter. I'm happy that he is having this level of success.
  • Options
    Usagi Yojimbo got optioned for a cartoon. My first time seeing usagi was on the TMNT cartoon. The two usagi TMNT figures are still my two favorite TMNT action figures.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Usagi Yojimbo got optioned for a cartoon. My first time seeing usagi was on the TMNT cartoon. The two usagi TMNT figures are still my two favorite TMNT action figures.

Good for Stan! I think TMNT was where I first saw Usagi too. I still have my Usagi (original version) in the package. I only bought two TMNT figures, and that was one of them.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

mwhitt80 said:

Good for Stan! I think TMNT was where I first saw Usagi too. I still have my Usagi (original version) in the package. I only bought two TMNT figures, and that was one of them.
    I wish I had mine in box. What is the other firgure? Panda Kahn?

I have space usagi and regular out of package in TMNT box right now.
    My daughter discovered my Voltron and little Voltron pilots. Lord knows what happens when she opens that box.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

What is the other firgure? Panda Kahn?

No, Raphael. I know, I know.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I'm coming into work for a few hours tomorrow. With the movie opening next week I think it's as good a time to finally listen to the Black Panther spotlight from a few years ago.
  • Options
    It's always nice to come to this quiet little corner of the internet and see actual discussions involving geek properties not dissolve into telling someone's mother to b*ow them.
  • Options
    I'll only like your comment since we don't have a love button.
  • Options
    Former Falcons coach Jerry Glanville has decided to unretire and go work in the CFL under former Falcons coach June Jones.

If that seems familiar June worked under Jerry at the Oilers and Falcons, then replaced Jerry in Atlanta as head coach. Then Jerry worked under June in Hawaii. They also were both allergic to winning in the GA Dome.
  • Options
    Read the first volume of the Priest Black Panther. Great
  • Options
    DAR said:

Read the first volume of the Priest Black Panther. Great

What issues does that cover?
  • Options
    1-17. I borrowed it off of Hoopla
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Thinking about moving to digital comics only, and I hate myself for it...
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    luke52 said:

Thinking about moving to digital comics only, and I hate myself for it...

I thought the same thing. But really, I don't have the space, even after culling my collection. Also saving money on boxes, bags and boards is good. I'm still building my physical bronze age collection but that's it. I still get hardcovers through my LCS.
  • Options
    I wasn't really on board with the digital comics. But I received a 160gb ipad for Christmas and I'm slowly coming around.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Remember when Black Panther was married to Storm for a hot minute??

A reminder that sometimes the best retcon is not to retcon, just to not reaaaally mention something very much years later and it is like it never happened.
  • Options
    David_D said:

A reminder that sometimes the best retcon is not to retcon, just to not reaaaally mention something very much years later and it is like it never happened.

Remember when half the Marvel Universe was married?

*Time-travelling comic fan from a year into the future steps into the room.* "Remember when Kitty Pryde and Colossus were married?"
  • Options
    chrislchrisl Posts: 78

David_D said:

Remember when half the Marvel Universe was married?

*Time-travelling comic fan from a year into the future steps into the room.* "Remember when Kitty Pryde and Colossus were married?"
    Time-traveling comic fan from a year into an alternate future steps into the room. “Remember when Kitty Pryde and Peter Quill were married?”
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Weapon Brown is back on kickstarter.

For my wrestling fans the guy that did the Kamala book a few years ago is publishing a Danny Davis book