Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Black Panther (Spoilers-- Seen it? Discuss it here.)

Saw it last night and loved it. My initial take is it's a top 5 MCU movie, right up there with Guardians of the Galaxy and Winter Soldier. If you want to tell me it's the best of the lot, it'd be hard to take exception. Easily the most visually beautiful of all the MCU movies, bumping Doctor Strange down a notch to #2 in that category now. The colors, costumes, and stunning views of Wakanda were mesmerizing.

I found the movie to be equal parts "The Lion King," "James Bond," and "The Lord of the Rings," but it worked. I thought the plot moved along at a nice pace, even given it's 2 hours and 15 minute run time. Usually, anything longer than an hour and 45 minutes or so has me checking my watch frequently (Hey, I'm old ... sue me). Not the case here.

A number of nice plot twists / reveals throughout the film, all of which worked well. The flashback reveals with the King's brother and young Forrest Whitaker worked great.

Thought Shuri was the best part of the movie. She definitely had all the best lines, and uttered what was arguably the funniest line in MCU history. Yep ... "WHAT ARE THOOOOOOOSE???" Missed all the dialogue that occurred for the next 30 seconds after that as everyone was roaring with laughter still.

If I hadn't known beforehand that Danai Gurira played the leader of the Dora Milaje, I never would've recognized her.

Michael B. Jordan was fantastic as Killmonger. The whole backstory with him being the orphaned nephew of the King living in Oakland was great.

I was aware of who Lupita Nyong'o was, but had never seen her in anything before (I know, I know ... I need to see "12 Years a Slave." It's on my list). She is, quite simply, one of the most beautiful women on the planet.

Didn't understand how the war rhinos appeared out of nowhere. Were they supposed to have been on that downed ship?

Knew I recognized Letitia Wright (Shuri) and Daniel Kaluuya (W'Kabi) from somewhere. As it turned out, both had starring roles in episodes of Black Mirror. Thanks, IMDB!

W'Kabi's decision to side with Killmonger felt out of place for me. Would have worked better if they alluded to some animosity between him and T'Challa, I think.

Andy Serkis' performance as Klaw was fine. Can't help but think how awesome Tom Hardy would've been in that role though.

Comments

• MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I always thought Serkis got the role because they were going to make him into Klaw. His motion capture experience would’ve worked best. It could still happen, but so far, it appears he only has a two movie deal that started with AoU.
  • Matt said:

It could still happen

Uh ... either you haven't seen it, or the Wikipedia page hasn't been updated yet, I gather? :-)

edited February 2018

Matt said:

It could still happen

Uh ... either you haven't seen it, or the Wikipedia page hasn't been updated yet, I gather? :-)

Admittedly, my knowledge of Klaw is limited to the Secret Wars (the actual one, not whatever that last event was). I thought the version in the comic books died & was reborn as the sound composite.

Researching the character, Klaue didn’t die before becoming Klaw.

And the death was off-screen. Nothing can truly be ruled out.
  • Matt said:

And the death was off-screen. Nothing can truly be ruled out.

Meh.

• Saw it last night. I give it 4.5 out of 5 Vibranium Nuggets. This had to be the best MCU movie in terms of the significant roles for women. Then again it shouldn't be a surprise because of how prominently women have been in the Black Panther comic.

This had to be (and I used the phrase I saw elsewhere) the most grown-up Marvel movie. When you deal with the issues that Killmonger raised about being isolated while the rest of Africa was being enslaved and exploited was realness. And I think Michael B. Jordan played him well as being just cold and psychotic. This was a guy who said fuck the world.

Enjoyed Letitia Wright's portrayal of Shuri as the tech whiz. I can see where Feige was saying that the Black Panther will be Marvel's James Bond so we see he has his Q. The only issue I had was that she seemed kind of upbeat for her father dying just over two weeks ago. We all grieve in different ways but I can see where she deals with it by inventing stuff.
  • The only issue I had was that she seemed kind of upbeat for her father dying just over two weeks ago. We all grieve in different ways but I can see where she deals with it by inventing stuff.

Good point. The mother too, I thought. I told myself though that they were okay with it as they knew he lived in on the ... uh, Panther-verse (?) or whatever it's called.

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    That was amazing. So confident, self-contained, and clear. I had gotten to the point where I was getting sick to death of first-in-a-franchise superhero origin movies, but this one did it so well, and I loved that T’Challa was already a fully formed adult who knew who he was, he just was going to decide what kind of country they should be, and therefore what kind of king he should be. Fantastic.
    Also? Tonight I saw a movie that gave real screen time and narrative importance to M’Baku The Man Ape.

M’Baku... The Man Ape.

We live in heady times.
  • David_D said:

Also? Tonight I saw a movie that gave real screen time and narrative importance to M’Baku The Man Ape.

M’Baku... The Man Ape.

We live in heady times.

"We're vegetarians."
    Here’s a great article about Killmonger’s methods. I don’t always agree with Jason, but he’s one of the better writers at the Roots.

https://www.theroot.com/killmonger-was-wrong-and-ya-ll-know-it-1823134207
  • HexHex Posts: 944
    I enjoyed Black Panther... Didn't LOVE it. Found it overly long, some of the CG was clunky, and Killmonger just came across as whiny. Although there was lots to like (strong female characters, and fabulous art direction), I found I didn't care all that much about T'challa (surprisingly). I was more interested in the supporting cast.

It is the first Marvel movie (aside from Iron Man II), where I walked out of the theatre and didn't have the urge to purchase another ticket right away. Maybe I've reached the saturation point.
  • ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    I enjoyed BP quite a bit. It wasn't perfect, but definitely upper echelon Marvel movie for me. I did think it was the single best translation of comic to movie. They jit all the notes pitch perfect.

One thing I found kind of amusing tho: it really highlighted the idicoy of having a government determined by trial by combat! lol Happily, they have remedied that in the current excellent comic (altho not for the reason that picking a ruler via trial by combat is moronic!).

e
    L nny
    Current Black Panther writer (and cultural commentator) Ta-Nehisi Coates was a guest on the NYTimes podcast Still Processing about two weeks ago to talk about a little bit about writing his comics, but mostly about the Black Panther movie, its success, and the moment it and the character are having. I thought it was an interesting and lively conversation, and outside of a few brief Marvel promo videos, I don't think I have heard much before of Coates talking about his work on Black Panther.

You can find the podcast wherever you prefer to get them. The show is called Still Processing, and the episode is called "We Sink Our Claws Into Black Panther...". It is also on various online players, too, like this one.

And Coates joins the conversation around the 19 minute mark.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I thought this was pretty awesome:

https://youtu.be/expKmfdoo28
  • bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    Finally saw the movie this week. Loved it! I haven't read any Black Panther series since Priest's run ended so while I have heard of Shuri, this was my first actual exposure to her. Actually, when I first saw her I thought she was going to be Queen Divine Justice and while I was disappointed she wasn't, Shuri quickly won me over.

Now about the end credit scene with Bucky. They kids called him "White Wolf". I wonder if that was just a red herring (like communism) or are they going to make him the White Wolf character from the Black Panther comics. I know Sebastian Stan has a multi-picture deal and we are all assuming he will end up becoming Captain America after Chris Evans leaves, but what if they do this with him instead?
  • OriusOrius Posts: 188
    edited May 2018
    Rewatched my favorite scene from Black Panther today and was reminded why I put this film above all other MCU entries, especially Thor Ragnarok:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyZRs47qaX0

This was what I wish Thor had done in his movie, called out on Odin's BS. That would have made the film 10 times better for me.

Looking back, it feels like this entire movie has a lot more guts than Infinity War's plot-twist, touching on very hard-hitting and relatable topics Marvel has very rarely done before. I love the ambiguity in this scene and the movie. The "good guys" aren't always the good guys, and sometimes, the bad guy has a point too.

It's probably too much to expect such quality scriptwriting in every single MCU entry in the future (especially where Ant-Man is concerned), but oh well. I'll take what I can get from the Panther franchise for now.
    edited May 2018
    Orius said:

Rewatched my favorite scene from Black Panther today and was reminded why I put this film above all other MCU entries, especially Thor Ragnarok:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyZRs47qaX0

This was what I wish Thor had done in his movie, called out on Odin's BS. That would have made the film 10 times better for me.

Looking back, it feels like this entire movie has a lot more guts than Infinity War's shocking ending (which we know will be reversed anyway), touching on very hard-hitting and relatable topics Marvel has very rarely done before. I love the ambiguity in this scene and the movie. The "good guys" aren't always the good guys, and sometimes, the bad guy has a point too.

It's probably too much to expect such quality scriptwriting in every single MCU entry in the future (especially where Ant-Man is concerned), but oh well. I'll take what I can get from the Panther franchise for now.

Hmm. I’m not certain I’d say either really had guts. At least in the presentation. It probably took guts to put together a mass culmination of 10 years of a shared universe, though I think then next one will really show that. It probably took guts to put together Black Panther, but I knew it’d do at least Wonder Woman cash (which is really just the First Avenger movie). I kept thinking Killmonger (and M’Baku) were more interesting characters. Jordan did with Killmonger what Fassbender did with Magneto; make a villain that you can’t completely see as the villain.

I recall reading posts that killing Kent in BvS:DoJ was “bold,” but I thought that was overselling it. Maybe if Lois or Batman was killed, I’d think differently.

I’m actually glad not every franchise is written the same. I like that when I see Antman & Wasp this summer it’ll be different then what I just saw in the theatre. It feels more like the books; not every title has the same tone & style.

I’m looking forward to watching Black Panther again. I’ve got it currently around 4-5-6-7 with First Avenger, Iron Man, & the Avengers. I’ve realized my top 3 & my bottom 3 have been the easier ones to pick.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Orius said:

Looking back, it feels like this entire movie has a lot more guts than Infinity War's shocking ending (which we know will be reversed anyway), touching on very hard-hitting and relatable topics Marvel has very rarely done before. I love the ambiguity in this scene and the movie. The "good guys" aren't always the good guys, and sometimes, the bad guy has a point too.

YIKES! Be careful with the spoilers. Not all of us have been able to see Infinity War (even though I'm pretty sure I know what happens, since, you know, comics.)!
  • OriusOrius Posts: 188
    edited May 2018
    fredzilla said:

Orius said:

Looking back, it feels like this entire movie has a lot more guts than Infinity War's, touching on very hard-hitting and relatable topics Marvel has very rarely done before. I love the ambiguity in this scene and the movie. The "good guys" aren't always the good guys, and sometimes, the bad guy has a point too.

YIKES! Be careful with the spoilers. Not all of us have been able to see Infinity War (even though I'm pretty sure I know what happens, since, you know, comics.)!
    Yeah, sorry about that. I knew I should've just said "plot twist" instead. lol

To be fair... you really shouldn't be quoting my "spoilers" if you realized that. Should've at least edited it out. Seems like you're contradicting your own point.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Finally saw the movie. Liked it but two things. The fx were a little dicey. And I thought that BP was kind of overshadowed by his supporting cast.
    DAR said:

Finally saw the movie. Liked it but two things. The fx were a little dicey. And I thought that BP was kind of overshadowed by his supporting cast.

I’ve been thinking about your second point recently. T’Challa became around the 4th or 5th character I was interested in as I watched the movie. It’s kinda like The Dark Knight; the central character becomes the background character.
  • I watched Black Panther, for the fourth time, this weekend. And the previous Tuesday I saw Superman for the first time on the big screen. I watched it so many times as a kid.

Anyone else see the similar plot elements Black Panther (2018) has with Superman (1978) and Superman II (1980)?
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Black Panther became the first MCU movie to be nominated for a Golden Globe. It's expected to be an awards player. Do I think it's Best Picture worthy? Not really, but I get why it might receive nominations.
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I ended up watching BP again Friday night on Netflix. I think it’s my 3rd maybe 4th viewing. while I’ve liked it just fine, something clicked this time and I gained a new appreciation for it. I liked it much more. Sometimes that happens. (Maybe I need to watch last Jedi a couple more times lol). I still don’t think BP is quite as amazing as many seem to, but I do like it more than I did before.
  • mphilmphil Posts: 448
    I watched it Friday too :) . I guess being on Netflix now is causing people to rewatch it.
    DAR said:

Black Panther became the first MCU movie to be nominated for a Golden Globe. It's expected to be an awards player. Do I think it's Best Picture worthy? Not really, but I get why it might receive nominations.

Can I ask why it's not Best Picture worthy in your opinion? I feel like it is. I pretty much don't pay attention to any awards because they are a completely warped view of what humans actually watch. I mean, go compare the same critics' awards votes to their "best movies of all time" votes. I mean, does anyone actually think The Hurt Locker was a great movie? Has anyone rewatched that since it was released? No, but it fits with what award voters consider a "good artistic movie".
    It’s definitely one of the better MCU movies, but I’m not certain I’d put it as Best Picture either. Like Wonder Woman, I think the majority of the appeal is about what it represents rather then the final product. I don’t even think it’s Coogler’s best film.
    The Shape of Water won Best Picture. No offense to that movie, but Black Panther is a better movie. And people will rewatch it, because it's better.