Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Dark Horse May Solicitations- including new minis from Kindt and Rubin; Dorkin and Fish, more

May Solicitations are starting to go up, with these from Dark Horse starting things out.

Some first issues include this from Matt Kindt and David Rubin--
Ether: The Copper Golems #1 (of 5)
Matt Kindt (W), David Rubín (A/Cover), and Paul Pope (Variant cover)
On sale May 16
FC, 32 pages • $3.99 • Miniseries
Matt Kindt! David Rubín!
From New York Times bestselling Mind MGMT creator Matt Kindt and Black Hammer’s David Rubín comes this fantasy adventure about a science-minded hero intent on keeping the balance between Earth and a magic world!
Portals between Earth and the Ether begin to crack open unleashing devastating magical fury on our planet and only adventurer Boone Dias can seal the breaches. In order to put an end to this chaos, Boone recruits a powerful team of mystical beings including a grumpy, spell-writing fairy; a bickering, lavender gorilla; and a bull-headed, motorcycling spell-hacker. Black These heroes set off on a journey taking the reader through the center of volcanoes, deserts full of living mummies and sphinxes, and a bizarre fairy forest in an effort to save both worlds from complete destruction!

And this from Evan Dorkin and Veronica & Andy Fish--
Blackwood #1 (of 4)
Evan Dorkin (W), Veronica Fish (A/Cover), and Becky Cloonan (Variant cover)
On sale May 30
From the multi-Eisner award-winning creator of Beasts of Burden and the artist of Archie and Slam comes this supernatural fantasy about a magical murder in a sorcery school.
When four teenagers with haunted pasts enroll in Blackwood College—a school that trains students in the occult—their desire to enhance their supernatural abilities and bond with others is hampered by an undead dean’s curse, ghosts in their dorm, a mischievous two-headed mummy-chimp, a plague of mutant insects, and the discovery of an ancient evil that forces our heroes to undergo a crash course in the occult for the sake of the world.

And even though it is a video game tie-in, I'm a big fan of Garth Ennis' war comics, and with his War Stories at Avatar finished (boo!) I will take it where I can get it. And the first World of Tanks mini was really no different than his other work, even if it had the name of a video game on the cover. The new mini starts this month, with artist PJ Holden--
World of Tanks: Citadel #1 (of 5)
Garth Ennis (W), PJ Holden (A), Michael Atiyeh (C), and Isaac Hannaford (Cover)
On sale May 22
The Eastern Front, 1943: as the cataclysmic Battle of Kursk looms large, Captain Piotr Piotrowicz and his driver, Natalya “Ginger” Pulkhova, prepare their unit for action— equipped with the worst tanks in the Russian inventory. On the opposite side, German tankers Karl Kraft and Freddie Stadler brace for the onslaught—well aware that failure here will put their Soviet enemy on the road to Berlin. Garth Ennis and PJ Holden present a second action-packed story of armored warfare, inspired by the phenomenally popular game World of Tanks.

Also two different Black Hammer titles continue, plenty of Mignola-verse work, American Gods, and others. Second issue of Xerxes from Frank Miller (perhaps to be filed under 'Believe it when you see it'). A few other things that caught my eye. This collected edition of a strip in DHP--
Brooklyn Blood TP
Paul Levitz (W) and Tim Hamilton (A/Cover)
On sale Jul 4
FC, 136 pages • $17.99 • TP, 7” x 10”
Fresh from the was in Afghanistan, detective Billy O’Connor tries to return to his normal routines despite his PTSD and severe hallucinations. Once he begins to work a gruesome homicide case, however, O’Connor has difficulty sorting out what’s real—and after he uncovers some strange clues, he’ll have to face the unthinkable to bring the killer to justice.
From New York Times Bestselling authors Paul Levitz and Tim Hamilton, this volume collects all sixteen chapters originally serialized in Dark Horse Presents!

And that Gabriel Hardman Aliens mini continues. Give it me--
Aliens: Dust to Dust #2 (of 4)
Gabriel Hardman (W/A/Cover), Rain Beredo (C), and Carlos D’Anda (Variant cover)
On sale May 30
A mother and son bound by a shared terror—separated by an implacable alien force! A spaceship that should carry them away from the fear becomes a deathtrap from which escape seems impossible!

Follow the link at the top of the post for the full listings.

Comments

• Options
    David_D said:

May Solicitations are starting to go up, including these from Dark Horse.

Ether: The Copper Golems #1 (of 5)
    Matt Kindt (W), David Rubín (A/Cover), and Paul Pope (Variant cover)
    On sale May 16
    Matt Kindt! David Rubín!
    From New York Times bestselling Mind MGMT creator Matt Kindt and Black Hammer’s David Rubín comes this fantasy adventure about a science-minded hero intent on keeping the balance between Earth and a magic world!
    Portals between Earth and the Ether begin to crack open unleashing devastating magical fury on our planet and only adventurer Boone Dias can seal the breaches. In order to put an end to this chaos, Boone recruits a powerful team of mystical beings including a grumpy, spell-writing fairy; a bickering, lavender gorilla; and a bull-headed, motorcycling spell-hacker. Black These heroes set off on a journey taking the reader through the center of volcanoes, deserts full of living mummies and sphinxes, and a bizarre fairy forest in an effort to save both worlds from complete destruction!

This looks cool! I'll certainly give it a go.

As for the Black Hammer related titles you mentioned, what are they? I know there are some as the initial series is over (for now). But I sort of fell off the radar with those.

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    @CageNarleigh

I haven't been following closely, as I haven't read Black Hammer yet (though I plan to fix that soon, it sounds fantastic). In May there is the second issue of this one--
    Black Hammer: Age of Doom #2
    Jeff Lemire (W/Variant cover), Dean Ormston (A/Cover), and Dave Stewart (C)
    On sale May 23
    FC, 32 pages • $3.99 • Ongoing
    The Eisner Award-winning superhero saga returns!
    As new Black Hammer Lucy Weber fights her way out of this gritty new dimension, she finds herself caught in Hell itself and up against trickster demons, Satan, and a bizarre emo god.
    And the third issue of this--
    Doctor Star & The Kingdom of Lost Tomorrows: From the World of Black Hammer #3
    Jeff Lemire (W), Max Fiumara (A/Cover), Dave Stewart (C), and Dustin Nguyen (Variant cover)
    On sale May 2
    On the hunt for a cure for his sick son, astral crime fighter Doctor Star heads to the moon only to discover an intergalactic federation called the Star Sheriff Squadron looking for a leader to defend the galaxy!
    Ties directly into the Eisner-Award winning Black Hammer comic books series and is written by main writer Jeff Lemire.
    Featuring art by Abe Sapien artist Max Fiumara!
    So like a Mignola-verse, it seems that Lemire is making an interconnected universe of it, through different minis.

This has been on my mind lately-- it is also remarkable just how many different things Lemire creates in a month, across a variety of stories and concepts. His own writing, as well as the graphic novels he cartoons for major book publishers.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited February 2018
    Definitely getting it. Thanks for the info David.
  • Options

It should be pointed out that this will be the second Ether miniseries. Kindt and Rúbin are doing the books as a series of miniseries so that Rúbin has time to do them along with Rumble. The first finished up over the summer, and it will get my nomination for Best Miniseries of 2017.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

It should be pointed out that this will be the second Ether miniseries. Kindt and Rúbin are doing the books as a series of miniseries so that Rúbin has time to do them along with Rumble. The first finished up over the summer, and it will get my nomination for Best Miniseries of 2017.
    Is that the image book Rumble? I've read the first 10 and really liked it
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited February 2018
    mwhitt80 said:

Is that the image book Rumble? I've read the first 10 and really liked it
    Yeah, James Harren (who's also really good) was drawing it, but he left, so Arcudi brought Rubín in to take over with the relaunch.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Awesome. It's been a while since I picked up, but I really liked what I read. I'm glad you reminded about it; I'm going to go pick up some more issues from the image site.