Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Marvel in the C.B. Cebulski Era (News, New Title Announcements, etc.)

As Marvel heads into 2018, and under the new leadership of EIC C.B. Cebulski, there have been a number of series cancelled, and there has been some recent discussion on that here, including what it might signal about Cebulski's direction as EIC.

And now some new titles are being announced. To be clear, these may or may not be an indication of the direction he will go in as Marvel's EIC, as there is a chance these were pitches that were in, or titles already in development when he took over in November. But they are getting published in his era, and it will be interesting to see where he takes things.

To start with, the first two new announcements I have seen (and I can easily have missed others, so please add those in if you see them) are some fan-favorite throwback X-books--

Domino, starting in April, written by Gail Simone, in her first Marvel work in over 10 years, I think, and artist TBD.

The Exiles, also starting in April. Written by Saladin Ahmed (Black Bolt) and artist Javier Rodriguez. With Blink leading a new team, that partners with The Unseen (what the original Nick Fury turned into at the end of Original Sin).

Comments

• Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    My impression of Marvel under Axel was that they were willing to let books slide way down the charts before pulling the plug. I'm curious if Cebulski's Marvel will tolerate sub-15k to 10k books. I hope neither of these titles has to worry about it.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Why on earth have they not got Rodriguez doing the art on the cover the first issue of his comic? He's a great artist and one of his strengths is his covers.
  • I could get in to domino. I have liked Gail Simone’s work in the past and the character has interesting powers that I’m not too familiar with. Plus I’m sure with her being in Deadpool she’s they are planning for a big push with her.
  • Thank you @David_D it’s good to be home!
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited January 2018
    I guess this first happened in Marvel Legacy #1 (I haven't read it yet) but it seems the non-Old Man Logan is on his way back from the dead to the MU, starting in April. A one-shot called The Hunt For Wolverine, but Soule and Marquez comes in April.

Wolverine's been showing up in one pagers in current comics. I've seen him show up in Captain America and Thor so far. Not only has he escaped the adamantium statue he was entombed in he also has an Infinity Stone (not sure which one, as the colours have switched - see GotG for more details).

Presumably enough people bought Death of Wolverine and Wolverines to warrant Soule doing the belated follow up to his story. I'm not that bothered with the whys and wherefores of how Logan's back, I'd rather just get into where he's going from here.

And all the other Wolverines (6 at my last count - Laura, Gabby, Daken, Old Man, Jimmy and Clayton) can stay around too, as all their books are a lot of fun. Especially All New Wolverine, that's a real high bar to get over.
  • PendelStevenPendelSteven Posts: 4
    edited January 2018
    I kind of agree about the wolverines. Especially Laura and Old Man need to stay of course.

Anyhow, I think it's long due time for an episode on Marvel current for CGS. This said, the podcast should have various guest podcasters to help with topics like this. But none the less, concerning Cebulski and the takeover of Fox by Disney... Let's have a Marvel in 2018 podcast, please!
    It looks like that Hunt For Wolverine was just the appetizer, as Marvel has announced 4, 4-issue miniseries starting in April under the banner of The Hunt For Wolverine.
    HUNT FOR WOLVERINE: WEAPON LOST (#1-4)
    Written by CHARLES SOULE
    Art by MATTEO BUFFAGNI

HUNT FOR WOLVERINE: ADAMANTIUM AGENDA (#1-4)
    Written by TOM TAYLOR
    Art by R.B. SILVA

HUNT FOR WOLVERINE: CLAWS OF A KILLER (#1-4)
    Written by MARIKO TAMAKI
    Art by BUTCH GUICE

HUNT FOR WOLVERINE: MYSTERY IN MADRIPOOR (#1-4)
    Written by JIM ZUB
    Art by CHRIS BACHALO

And speaking of the dead getting better (it is comics, after all), Marvel is promoting the return of Bruce Banner, starting in the pages of Avengers #684 in March.

They also released a promotional trailer

https://www.youtube.com/iBy8UdG3VOo
    edited February 2018
    And in what might be the death of a mantle holder to clear the way for another return to the status quo, Marvel is promoting "The Death of The Mighty Thor". Here is what they are saying on that-
    THE DEATH OF MIGHTY THOR
    Your first look at MIGHTY THOR #705!

New York, NY—February 15, 2018—THE DEATH OF THE MIGHTY THOR nears its end as the creative team of Jason Aaron and Russell Dauterman bring you an epic showdown that has been years in the making. And for the first time, Marvel is excited to reveal inks from Dauterman showing off the start of the spectacular conclusion.

The world of Mighty Thor and Odinson has been turned upside down, literally and figuratively -- the Mangog’s attack on Asgardia has left the realm, and the gods who inhabit it, decimated. And the Mangog isn’t done yet! While Odinson’s responsibility is to protect his people, Mighty Thor must make a choice: fight Mangog by picking up Mjolnir – which guarantees that Jane Foster will perish – or watch the world fall.

There is no choice…

Prepare yourself as Jane Foster picks up Mjolnir one last time in MIGHTY THOR #705, and witness the death of a hero!

MIGHTY THOR #705
    Written by JASON AARON
    Art by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN
    FOC – 2/26/18, On-Sale – 3/21/18
    And not only is their resurrection and death, but the occasional wedding!

Some details about the upcoming Kitty Pryde/Colossus wedding, that will largely be told in X-Men:Gold, but they are also adding a Wedding Special one-shot in May, that will feature a story by Chris Claremont, in, I think, his first Marvel work since Nightcrawler ended in 2015.

Hopefully no one will remind them how X-Marriages usually turn out.
    Shocks and Surprises in The X-MEN WEDDING SPECIAL!
    All-New Stories from Kelly Thompson and Marc Guggenheim! Plus, the return of Chris Claremont to the X-Men!

New York, NY—February 16, 2018—It’s almost time for Kitty Pryde and Colossus to tie the knot…but a Marvel wedding is never a simple affair!

This May, get ready to take part in epic and adventurous stories written by Kelly Thompson (Hawkeye, Rogue & Gambit) and X-Men Gold scribe Marc Guggenheim – plus, a wedding gift all on its own in the form of an all-new Kitty Pryde story from legendary series writer Chris Claremont, who returns to the X-Men just in time for the celebrations! But remember, when super heroes get together, mayhem ensues…and the X-Men are no exception.

"X-Men weddings are always a big deal, if only because they're so rare,” teased writer Kelly Thompson. “I think you probably have to go all the way back to X-Men #30 in 1994 - the wedding of Jean Grey and Cyclops - to get a wedding as potentially big as the wedding of Kitty Pryde and Colossus: two X-Men who've been around (and on again/off again) for literal decades.”

In this essential companion to the X-Men Gold (issues #26-30) story ‘Til Death Do Us Part, get a glimpse at Kitty and Peter’s march toward wedded bliss! It’s a celebration, Marvel style, with all the action, adventure and surprises that you’ve come to know and love from Marvel’s merry mutants - and it’s only in comic shops this May!

X-MEN WEDDING SPECIAL #1
    Written by MARC GUGGENHEIM, KELLY THOMPSON & CHRIS CLAREMONT
    Art by GREG LAND, MARIKA CRESTA & MORE
    Cover by J. SCOTT CAMPBELL
    On-Sale 5/16/18
    David_D said:

the end of the Jason Aaron era of Thor

Where are you getting that this is the end of Jason Aaron on Thor? I looked online and couldn't see that being reported anywhere.

edited February 2018
    Brack said:

David_D said:

the end of the Jason Aaron era of Thor

Where are you getting that this is the end of Jason Aaron on Thor? I looked online and couldn't see that being reported anywhere.

Oops, I think I misread either the way the press release said things were wrapping up.this long story, but you’re right there is no reason To believe he won’t be continuing.

Thanks. I fixed it above.
    The May solicits should be interesting. Marvel sent out a message and video teaser this morning with the subject line MARVEL COMICS: A FRESH START
    A FRESH START

May 2018

New Creative Teams

New Series

New Directions

New Beginnings

Make Mine Marvel!

It all starts today…
    https://www.youtube.com/X2BfTXIwABo

Here are observations from Newsarama.
    edited February 2018
    A close look at that lineup image:

For comparison, this is how the Marvel NOW! lineup was presented back in 2016

edited February 2018
    And titles (including new #1s... so some new things are the old tricks) are starting to get announced, including Avengers #1 in May from Aaron and McGuinness.

• CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    “I can say, walking through these halls, I have never seem more enthusiasm and more excitement for where Marvel Comics is going this year, Cebulski effuses in the video. “Not since Marvel NOW! have we have we had such an ver-arching, line wide change of talent on the Marvel Comics line.”

This gave me the impression that Cebulski thinks Marvel Now was so long ago that Ken Burns is getting ready to make a documentary on it.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited February 2018

“I can say, walking through these halls, I have never seem more enthusiasm and more excitement for where Marvel Comics is going this year, Cebulski effuses in the video. “Not since Marvel NOW! have we have we had such an ver-arching, line wide change of talent on the Marvel Comics line.”

This gave me the impression that Cebulski thinks Marvel Now was so long ago that Ken Burns is getting ready to make a documentary on it.

Sound better than saying, “Not since five-and-a-half years ago have we had...”
    More announcements coming through the day, it looks like. Will try to do a round up at the end of the day (though don’t wait for me, of course, if you see any that catch your interest.)
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited February 2018
    David_D said:

A close look at that lineup image:

For comparison, this is how the Marvel NOW! lineup was presented back in 2016

A much more exciting image...and I know who they all are too.

Was the giant green foot in the second image ever explained? I remember there being some speculation about it at the time.
  • Mr_Cosmic said:

Was the giant green foot in the second image ever explained? I remember there being some speculation about it at the time.

Monsters Unleashed, right?
    I wonder with Tom Taylor writing the Defenders/Spidey/Alias part of that ridiculous Wolverine money grab he's taking over one of them in this relaunch?

Also, with Aaron taking the Avengers where next for Waid, Zub and Ewing?
    One from earlier today- Donny Cates and Ryan Stegman on a new Venom series.

Stegman is always excellent, of course, and I have been hearing a lot of positive buzz here on the forums about Cates (I look forward to when his issues of Thanos and Dr. Strange hit Marvel Unlimited).

David_D said:

One from earlier today- Donny Cates and Ryan Stegman on a new Venom series.

Stegman is always excellent, of course, and I have been hearing a lot of positive buzz here on the forums about Cates (I look forward to when his issues of Thanos and Dr. Strange hit Marvel Unlimited).

That pitch makes it sound like they are picking up the direction and tone of Gerry Conway & Mike Perkins' Carnage series, which featured Eddie Brock dealing with a similar situation. I recommend that series to anyone who fancies a Marvel Horror comic in the Tomb of Dracula mould, even if you don't care for the Carnage character.
    Brack said:

I wonder with Tom Taylor writing the Defenders/Spidey/Alias part of that ridiculous Wolverine money grab he's taking over one of them in this relaunch?

Also, with Aaron taking the Avengers where next for Waid, Zub and Ewing?

I forgot we know what's next for Ewing, it's the YOU ARE DEADPOOL mini-series. Presumably inspired by 2000AD's Dice Man spin off from 1986 at the height of the game book fad as Ewing is about the same age as me and we apparently read all the same comics as children.
  • Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited February 2018
    David_D said:

And titles (including new #1s... so some new things are the old tricks) are starting to get announced, including Avengers #1 in May from Aaron and McGuinness.

After seeing that image of She-Hulk, I'm personally writing Rob Liefeld an apology letter for the years of abuse he took from comic fans over his interpretation of Captain America.

David_D said:

After seeing that image of She-Hulk, I'm personally writing Rob Liefeld an apology letter for the years of abuse he took from comic fans over his interpretation of Captain America.
    It's not just the She-Hulk physique that is a Liefeld throwback, McGuinness has carefully avoided drawing any feet on the cover too.
  • Ghost Rider on the Avengers team seems pretty odd to me but I haven't read either title in forever so I guess I might be out to lunch.