Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1688 Talkback - February 2018 Previews

You just can't lose with Previews! We go over the February 2018 catalog for items shipping to stores beginning in April. AND: the official announcement of The CGS 'Best of 2017' Awards! (1:18:18)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited February 2018
    You rang?

Re: the pronunciation of Gerads, it's a hard G sound, as in Gandalf, with the accent on the first syllable: GER (rhymes with bear)-ads.

Re: Carlo Pagulayan, he Filipino, so it’s pronounced pag-ool-aye-AN
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I will also mention volume 2 of IDW’s translations of the Jérôme K. Jérôme Blôche graphic novels, The Paper People. The first volume was a little rough in spots, but overall I really enjoyed it. Enough so that I'll be picking up this second volume.

And in the Image section, Isola by Brenden Fletcher and Karl Kerschl looks really interesting. I love Kerschl’s artwork, particularly with his fantastic web comic, The Abominable Charles Christopher, so I will be trying this.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @Adam_Murdough, Bill Morrison has not only done some work for Mad, he just became Mad’s new executive editor!
  • Options
    @Adam_Murdough : Still listening but you mentioned the Darkstars set to appear in the Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps title. But you mentioned that "apparently there's going to be a new millennial take".

The Controllers actually recently appeared in a story arc in the HJatGLC title, the end of which teased the Darkstars. So the Controllers are back and it looks like they are at the helm of the Darkstars. So I'm not sure how much "new" this take will actually be.

But just letting you know!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

You rang?

Re: the pronunciation of Gerads, it's a hard G sound, as in Gandalf, with the accent on the first syllable: GER (rhymes with bear)-ads.

How would you pronounce "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis?"
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    When I was substitute teaching and had to take attendance, I always had kids get upset when I didn't pronounce their names correctly (not as silly, but kind of like the Key & Peele video. If you're one of three people in the worlds that have never seen it, here you go). I would simply say to them, "Don't get mad at me. Blame your parents. They gave you a name that's difficult to pronounce." Always got a few chuckles out of the kids which made me happy. I always find it funny when people get upset when you mispronounce their name. Most people try, cut 'em some slack.

With all that said, I'm glad we have @nweathington here to help. I always expect to see your comments first in these threads.

Also, good job to @Adam_Murdough for finishing out the episode solo. Highlighted a few things I may just check out.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

You rang?

How would you pronounce "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis?"
    LUNG di-ZIZ
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

When I was substitute teaching and had to take attendance, I always had kids get upset when I didn't pronounce their names correctly (not as silly, but kind of like the Key & Peele video. If you're one of three people in the worlds that have never seen it, here you go). I would simply say to them, "Don't get mad at me. Blame your parents. They gave you a name that's difficult to pronounce." Always got a few chuckles out of the kids which made me happy. I always find it funny when people get upset when you mispronounce their name. Most people try, cut 'em some slack.

With all that said, I'm glad we have @nweathington here to help. I always expect to see your comments first in these threads.

Also, good job to @Adam_Murdough for finishing out the episode solo. Highlighted a few things I may just check out.

Thanks @fredzilla! I'm just trying to uphold the sacred quarter jar tradition of CGS.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    edited February 2018
    I'm looking at the cover for Apuma #1. That reminds me of Alan Moore's 1963 line of books that Image put out in the early 90's. I really enjoyed those books.

• Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Since you guys talked about the Dark Phoenix Saga, I want to bring up that there is a new documentary on Chris Claremont's run with X-Men that anyone here would enjoy. I'm not even a huge X-Men fan but I liked this documentary a lot.

Here's a link to Amazon. I'm sure it's probably on iTunes or wherever it is that you rent movies as well.
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

I'm looking at the cover for Apuma #1. That reminds me of Alan Moore's 1963 line of books that Image put out in the early 90's. I really enjoyed those books.

I haven't read it, but I looked through it at the shop. Similar to 1963, it tries to evoke the vibe of a certain era, but this feels more like a wacky version of early to mid-’70s Marvel.
  • Options
    Here's a question I have been trying to work out in relation to the new Exiles comic coming from Marvel. Is the Blink in the book the Blink of the Age of Apocalypse reality or is it the Blink from 616?
    I know 616 Blink died way back in the Generation Next story but she was resurrected in the Necrosha X story from a few years back and was most recently seen in the Cable series (but there may have been some time travel involved with Cable - I didn't read that one).
    The preview pages I've seen for the new Exiles #1 seem to indicate that she's recruited from 616 - especially seeing as the Unseen (formally Nick Fury Senior - may he rest in peace) is doing the recruiting.
    I was a huge fan of the original Exiles back in the day (which is current reading for you right @Adam_Murdough ?) and I might check this one out - but I'd much rather it be the AoA Blink rather than 616 who would have no previous experience with the Exiles concept.
    Interested to hear people's thoughts.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

Here's a question I have been trying to work out in relation to the new Exiles comic coming from Marvel. Is the Blink in the book the Blink of the Age of Apocalypse reality or is it the Blink from 616?
    I know 616 Blink died way back in the Generation Next story but she was resurrected in the Necrosha X story from a few years back and was most recently seen in the Cable series (but there may have been some time travel involved with Cable - I didn't read that one).
    The preview pages I've seen for the new Exiles #1 seem to indicate that she's recruited from 616 - especially seeing as the Unseen (formally Nick Fury Senior - may he rest in peace) is doing the recruiting.
    I was a huge fan of the original Exiles back in the day (which is current reading for you right @Adam_Murdough ?) and I might check this one out - but I'd much rather it be the AoA Blink rather than 616 who would have no previous experience with the Exiles concept.
    Interested to hear people's thoughts.

First welcome.

Next it has been AoA Blink. Exiles used a lot of AoA characters, like Sabretooth.
  • Options
    @mwhitt80 I know it has been AoA Blink in the past, and I loved the inclusion of AoA Sabretooth as the series progressed. Which Blink is it in the new Exiles series coming in April?