Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Marvel in the C.B. Cebulski Era (News, New Title Announcements, etc.)

Comments

• BrackBrack Posts: 868

Ghost Rider on the Avengers team seems pretty odd to me but I haven't read either title in forever so I guess I might be out to lunch.

It's odd in that he's car mechanic possessed by the ghost of serial killer. But, in Jason Aaron's Marvel Legacy #1 we (and Ghost Rider) saw the first Avengers team and there was a Ghost Rider on that team.

Along with a Black Panther ✔, Odin ✔, A Sorcerer Supreme ✔, An Iron Fist ✖, A Phoenix ✖ and a Starbrand ✖.

Unfortunately, in Marvel Legacy #1, Ghost Rider killed Starbrand in self defence when Starbrand attacked him to prevent him finding something South Africa (Ghost Rider had apparently slept drove from LA to Cape Town while dreaming of Stone Age Avengers).

This all ties into current events in Guardians of the Galaxy, Dr Strange, Thor and the Hunt for Wolverine. Which I guess will lead into Aaron eventually picking up the story from Legacy in Avengers.

Hopefully that means down the line we'll get the unlikely sight of Quentin Quire, Avenger (while Phoenix appears taken care of in the X-Men books, over in Thor, Aaron had the entity hide part of itself inside Quire).
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    edited February 2018

Ghost Rider on the Avengers team seems pretty odd to me but I haven't read either title in forever so I guess I might be out to lunch.

I didn't even notice him; he got drowned out by the ridiculous she hulk. I might give it a look.
  • I am thrilled I can actually recognize a majority of the characters.. unlike the past few years.
    edited February 2018
    @brack dropped some GR knowledge on me. Jason Aaron wrote the best ghost rider since 1990. i haven't read a lot of the first series, unless there are hidden gems (way better than what I read) I'm going to say best ghost Rider story so far regardless of series.
  • Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited February 2018
    I wish Marvel nothing but success, but I'm not convinced they're going it about it the best way. My take on Marvel's announced "relaunch" pretty much mirrors the sentiments tweeted by my LCS owner Ryan Higgins. Ryan expressed those feelings far more eloquently than I could, so well in fact that the Nerdist declared his statements "the best tweet to sum up most fans' feelings" (@ around time 2:35).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmLK_MnnqAU
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    The May Solicits for Marvel are now out.

On a first look, things are not as different as the promos earlier this week would lead you to believe. But I guess the new #1s, like Avengers, is meant to be the beginning of what will likely be a series of renumbering, creative team shake-ups, and changes over the coming months, since this month has a lot of those big, round-numbered issues to do first. We'll see.
    The Where's Wolverine poster is great.

I'm probably getting Earth X Omnibus
    David_D said:

The May Solicits for Marvel are now out.

On a first look, things are not as different as the promos earlier this week would lead you to believe. But I guess the new #1s, like Avengers, is meant to be the beginning of what will likely be a series of renumbering, creative team shake-ups, and changes over the coming months, since this month has a lot of those big, round-numbered issues to do first. We'll see.

This feels like a month of lot of wrapping up rather than launches. Duggan on Deadpool, Bendis last Marvel Comic, the penultimate Slott Spider-Man

But, hey, Hickman and Weaver's SHIELD's finally back!
    Thor relaunching in June. Aaron's staying on, Mike Del Mundo coming on as the artist. So the best artist at Marvel is replacing the other best artist at Marvel. Well done Thor.

Hopefully Marvel have something good lined up for Dauterman.
  • Stegman on Venom has me intrigued. His art is dope.
    edited February 2018
    Reading about Immortal Hulk (by Al Ewing and Joe Bennett with an awesome cover by Alex Ross that I want as a poster) and CBR says it's part of Marvel's Fresh Start Initiative.
    And all this time I thought we were getting fresh starts every 16 to 24 issues, except when Marvel legacy numbers for 8 issues or 5 months (whichever is lesser) every two years.

As for the series, I'll check it out and might enjoy it. They just don't need to take Greg Pak, one of the top 3 hulk writers ever, off a hulk book.
    edited February 2018
    Ta-Nehisi Coates and Lenil Yu take over Captain America in July.

This is said to be another one of the "Fresh Starts Initiatives" and is another one with covers by Alex Ross.
    CAPTAIN AMERICA #1
    "WINTER IN AMERICA"

For over seventy years, he has stood in stalwart defense of our country and its people.

But in the aftermath of Hydra's takeover of the nation, Captain America is a figure of controversy, carrying a tarnished shield.

And a new enemy is rising!

Who are the Power Elite? And how do they intend to co-opt and corrupt the symbol that is Captain America?

On Sale 7/4
    WRITERS
    Ta-Nehisi Coates

PENCILS
    Leinil Yu
    COVER
    Alex Ross
    I've been behind on the news updates (and thanks to @Brack and @mwhitt80 for posting about the Thor and Hulk announcements.

It looks like Marvel has a page for tracking all of those #1 announcements for Marvel in 2018
    Also, CBR just posted a multiple page preview of the new Hulk book, and a promo/house ad that continues to emphasize the idea of it as a horror book. (If memory serves, not the first time the Hulk has been approached that way.)

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited February 2018
    David_D said:

Also Coates has a short piece up in the Atlantic today called "Why I am writing Captain America. And why it scares the hell out of me."

As a reader of much of his work, he says exactly what I expected him to say. And I think he will create some interesting stories—or at least provide an different and interesting perspective on the character.

Overall, I can't say I'll be reading as many Marvel comics as I was a couple of years ago. I'm down to five monthly books now—Black Panther, Cap, Dr. Strange, Spider-Gwen,, & Squirrel Girl—and one I buy in trades—Thor. So far I haven’t seen anything I want to add to that list.
    edited February 2018

David_D said:

Also Coates has a short piece up in the Atlantic today called "Why I am writing Captain America. And why it scares the hell out of me."

As a reader of much of his work, he says exactly what I expected him to say. And I think he will create some interesting stories—or at least provide an different and interesting perspective on the character.

Overall, I can't say I'll be reading as many Marvel comics as I was a couple of years ago. I'm down to five monthly books now—Black Panther, Cap, Dr. Strange, Spider-Gwen,, & Squirrel Girl—and one I buy in trades—Thor. So far I haven’t seen anything I want to add to that list.
    I've become an entirely Marvel Unlimited reader, myself. With the occasional exception of MAX titles that I don't think will end up on that service, like the recent Ennis/Parlov Punisher: The Platoon. So even counting the monthly charge for that service, I am currently spending less on Marvel month to month than I have in years and years.

So I guess it is a mixed compliment that nothing that has been announced is making me feel like I want to read Marvel so urgently that I will go back to pre-ordering them on paper.

But there are books, like Coates and Yu on Captain America, that I look forward to reading a year from now. So I don't see myself cancelling my MU anytime soon.
  • I am glad they've got Del Mundo doing interior work on something I actually want to read, though. Now if they can just put Stuart Immonen on something I want to read...
    edited February 2018
    David_D said:

Also, CBR just posted a multiple page preview of the new Hulk book, and a promo/house ad that continues to emphasize the idea of it as a horror book. (If memory serves, not the first time the Hulk has been approached that way.)

Bruce Jones had a decent run on the Incredible Hulk (2000) that was a mix of espionage and horror. It wasn't bad (I actually liked a lot of it). It just wasn't that good either.

It had two real problems. First it needed to either play more to the horror aspects or more to the spy parts, but ended up not being great at either. The second is that it I'm not sure if Bruce had an ending. The story really wandered, and ultimately kinda forced Marvel to erase the entire Jones run. As the Bible says "You are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will vomit you from my mouth".

The most recent Marvel attempt at trying a little horror was with Jason Aaron's Hulk series. The Bruce banner elements (particularly the first half) were very Dr. Moreau. It had interesting parts and was decent enough story, but it really is a weak borrow bordering pass. Instead of this run read a better Aaron story like Scalped, or Thor, or Ghost Rider, or if you want hulk read Planet Hulk, or World War Hulks, or Skaar Son of the Hulk
    Contining under the "Fresh Start" Initiative (don't know if that will be actual cover branding, or is just how they are talking about things during this announcement phase) there is an Ant Man and The Wasp six issue mini starting in June from Mark Waid and Javier Garron.

This also shows their continuing trends towards stand-alone minis.

One more from the other day, and another miniseries. Multiple Man from Matthew Rosenberg and Andy Maconald, covers by Marcos Martin (lucky them-- and that first one is excellent).

From Rosenberg's interview to ComicBook.com, starting off on how there can be this mini, as Madrox died in Death of X--
    “Yeah, Jamie is very dead,” Rosenberg tells ComicBook.com “He was killed by the Terrigen Mists and all of his dupes died with him. But our book starts off with someone finding Jamie very not dead. But he is not long for this world. So the mystery of why he isn't dead and how to save himself is a big driving force of the story.

“If I were smarter I'd probably say some nonsense about how this was all about the duality of man and the Jungian archetypes that exist within us, how they are often oppositional, and how the ideas of who we are existed before us and continue beyond us. Maybe the book is about what we leave behind in the world for the people who love us and the people who don't, and how that story is never a complete picture. But, honestly, I just like Jamie Madrox a lot and I raised my hand in a meeting at the Marvel office and said, 'What if he wasn't dead?' and then they asked me to make up how that would work. And so... here we are. Dude's not dead.”
    I suppose he could have kept it simple and said, 'Because, superhero comics.'

Okay, finally a new (mini)series I really want to like. Jamie Madrox is such a great concept when handled with a sense of humor. I just hope this doesn’t get buried in continuity minutiae. I won't commit to all six issues just yet, but I’ll at least try the first issue.

Okay, finally a new (mini)series I really want to like. Jamie Madrox is such a great concept when handled with a sense of humor. I just hope this doesn’t get buried in continuity minutiae. I won't commit to all six issues just yet, but I’ll at least try the first issue.

I liked the first few things Rosenberg did at Marvel, but I've not been feeling his more recent work. Good ideas, but too wordy for my taste.

Definitely looking forward to Ewing on Hulk, as he's my favourite Marvel writer these days. And I'd forgotten Bennett had got his start on Brazilian horror comics - my old local comic shop was always going on about how the Brazilian artists that came into US comics in the 90s were much better in their earlier horror and sci-fi comics.
    Brack said:

I liked the first few things Rosenberg did at Marvel, but I've not been feeling his more recent work. Good ideas, but too wordy for my taste.

I haven’t read anything by him yet, so we’ll see what this first issue offers. I don’t mind wordy if the story calls for it, and it feels natural to the characters.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Spencer and Ottley on ASM.
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I guess Ottley hasn’t seen that Kirkman Manifesto. ;)
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Good news for Boomerang, The Beetle, Machinesmith and The Grizzly!
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Brack said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Good news for Boomerang, The Beetle, Machinesmith and The Grizzly!
    I was pretty down on his Cap run but I'm hoping his ASM can recapture the fun of Superior Foes.
    Skottie Young and Nic Klein on Deadpool
    Young was involved with Cable and Deadpool way back when.

Margaret Stohl and Carlos Pacheco on The Life of Captain Marvel
    Stohl was writing the previous Carol Danver's book, Mighty Captain Marvel. Hopefully this time it can launch as its own thing rather than as a lead-in to an event. That probably should go for all these comics.

Jeff Lemire and Kim Jacinto on Sentry
    Sentry just showed up in the pages of Donny Cates' wonderful Dr Strange. And I guess Lemire's not done yet at Marvel.

Ta-Nehisi Coates and Daniel Acuña on Black Panther
    Did Acuna do the Panther pages in Infinity? Anyway, this appears to pick up that storyline.

Mark Waid and Jesús Saiz on Dr Strange
    Shame Cates' and Gabriel Hernandez Walta's run is already coming to an end. It did a better job filling time than Aaron and Bachalo did being a promoted comic.

Donny Cates and TBA on Ghost Rider
    5 issue mini-series about the Cosmic Ghost Rider from Cates' Thanos.

Saladin Ahmed and Eric Nguyen on Quicksilver: No Surrender
    Ahmed's Black Bolt has been biggest creative success of Marvel's failed Inhumans push. Looking forward to this and his Exiles.

I'm already getting Black Panther, that won't change. I'll probably try Sentry since it’s Lemire, even though I'm not a fan of the concept/character. I'll wait and see who the artist on Ghost Rider is before I decide on it.