Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited March 2018

Moebius doing a cover for Marvel Tales, the Spidey reprint book. Huh?

Moebius also did a series of posters for Marvel around that time, and I bought every one of them (except Elektra for some reason). I think it coincided with Marvel printing some of his Airtight Garage work through the Epic line.
  • Options

Moebius doing a cover for Marvel Tales, the Spidey reprint book. Huh?

Moebius also did a series of posters for Marvel around that time, and I bought every one of them (except Elektra for some reason). I think it coincided with Marvel printing some of his Airtight Garage work through the Epic line.
    Thanks, as always, Eric!

I do remember those posters. They were amazing! (controversial statement of the year, there). Would've liked to have added them to my collection, but didn't pull the trigger. Ah, well.
  • Options

Pencils by John Buscema, inker unknown, but probably either Frank Giacoia or John Verpoorten.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited March 2018
    With my Sam Kieth itch fixed and My mind on Moebius and Moebius on my mind. I give you Epic Blueberry. This is a series I loved trying to collect and read. You can get 1-3 easily, but 5 is a five-letter word to find at reasonable price.

• Options

Funny. I had a Moebius cover queued up for today, as well. (that Marvel Team-Up just came across one of my feeds, and I had to share).
    I loved this series of his work, and I loved the trade dress with those giant numbers. (note: I don't have all of these, but I've managed to get, I believe, 6 of them) Like @mwhitt80 notes above, trying to get a copy of many of these out of print Moebius collections will cost you.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I just lied. A few years ago those were reasonable. Geez just looked at milehigh and mycomicshop. Anybody want some Westerns?
  • Options
    Ok I was going to do a fun series of Moebius covers, but looking at my shelves I decided to go with the most 90s of the 90s. Understand I may still own some most of these in some form.
    Today we start where I left off Sam Kieth. Look I know, Matt you already posted up Ghost Rider and Wolverine, what could be more 1990s? I give you this gem and know this a base line starting point.
  • Options
    Tonight's 90' of the 90's brings you two characters you might have forgotten about.
    We have an Ethan Van Sciver that combines his Cyberfrog with Trent Kaniuga's Creed. Most reader's in the 90s will probably Remember ads for Cyberfrog, but may have forgotten Creed (which is an interesting series).
  • Options
    Today’s entry from the DC cover-a-day calendar: Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #177 (May 2004), by Mark Simpson, a.k.a. Jock. The calendar has no trade dress. It’s also not cropped, so you see all of Batman’s knee, more of the cape, etc. Personally I think it's more effective cropped.

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

Anyone else have the feeling of Deja Vu?

• Options

I mentioned this in the reading thread, but I recently read the final volume of Series One for Don Lomax's Vietnam Journal, as well as the first collection of Series Two, and they were amazing.

Vietnam Journal is one of my all-time favorite series. Those initial 16 issues are classics. But when Lomax, at the urging (I believe) of his publisher, Apple Comics, shifted to a series of mini-series approach, I felt like something was lost. The stories didn't engage me as much as that first run. I don't know if it was just the way I read them or possibly the way that Lomax, as a creator, approached them, but the series just wasn't as good, in my opinion.

That said, I still picked up all the collections a few years back, because some of the mini-series had never completed publication or distribution of later issues were spotty, due to Apple Comics going bankrupt. I read through the first 7 volumes, which included work only available online before, and at that point I set them aside.

But then I discovered that Lomax had once again found a new publisher for the series, and there was a collection of the first five issues. So, I picked that up as well. And volume 8 and this first volume of the new series two were a return to the format that Lomax started with -- single-issue stories that sometimes bleed into the next issue, but which feel complete, in and of themselves. Which is not to say there isn't continuity from one issue to the next. Continuity is important in Vietnam Journal. Lomax is telling the story of the war, from the perspective of Scott Neithammer, in chronological order, with previous conflicts and experiences feeding into the "present" of the latest issue. But (I think) when Lomax approaches each issue as a single entity, rather than as part of a larger, 4 to 6 issue whole that needs to have the pacing and formatting of a mini-series, he is the most effective in his storytelling. Reading these took me back to when I first discovered Vietnam Journal, and I am very excited for subsequent issues, which are available on comixology, and which will hopefully be collected as more issues are available.

[thanks for letting me go on like this]
    -chris
  • Options

It seemed the timing was appropriate.
  • Options

Norm Breyfogle!
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

Mar. 1956:

Rex and Flipper in the same issue! Those dang smugglers in the midget sub don't stand a chance.

I do like the cover because it's a lot of fun, but the dolphin looks strange. I think it might be the way it's colored
    Kane drew the dorsal fin too far forward to accomodate for Rex. I think that’s probably what's throwing you off. The beak’s a little off as well—the upper jaw should be wider than the lower jaw, and there shouldn't be so much curve in it.
    Those are precicely the unrealistic aspects that were throwing me off.

:)
  • Options
    Today’s entry from the DC cover-a-day calendar: Action Comics #242 (July 1958), from the team of Curt Swan and Stan Kaye, featuring the first appearance of Braniac.

• Options
    Today’s entry from the DC cover-a-day calendar: Wonder Woman #5 (May 2007) by Terry and Rachel Dodson. It’s about as generic as a Wonder Woman cover can get, but at least what’s there is nicely drawn.

• Options

Never read this series, but I've always loved this ad. I will have to check it out, someday.
  • Options
    Happy St. Patty’s Day! Kiss the Blarney Stone and knock someone over with a shillelagh, it’s the cover to Blue Devil #25 penciled by Paris Cullins and inked by Gary Martin!

• Options

Admittedly disturbing.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    May 1956: I've posted a lot of Owen Fitzgerald covers in this thread, but never as part of this series, so here’s The Adventures of Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis #30, penciled and inked (he always inked himself) by Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald began his career in 1937 at the age of 21 working as an assistant animator for Walt Disney. In 1939 he moved on to Fleischer Studios, where he worked as an animator on Gulliver’s Travels and various Popeye shorts. He wasn’t there very long before he went to Warner Bros. as a layout artist. One of his best efforts (in my opinion) for Warner was as a layout artist on “Little Red Riding Rabbit” (1944). With the war going on, Fitzgerald went into the Army Signal Corps, where, among other things, he did presentation art for the Dr. Seuss-directed Private Snafu instructional cartoons.

After the war (or maybe while he was still in the service) he entered the comics industry, breaking in with Pines in 1946. Naturally, given his background, he began penciling funny animal stories, eventually moving on to other humor books as well. He got his first work from DC in 1949 as the artist for The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet #1, based on the popular TV show. He soon began work on a new series which he would become most closely associated with at DC, The Adventures of Bob Hope, where he was given ample opportunity to draw pretty girls, something he excelled at. With Bob Hope being a bimonthly, he was also tapped as the artist of another new series, Here’s Howie Comics. But he must have been a fast artist, because in 1953 he also took over as the artist of The Adventures of Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis from Howie Post. He juggled all three bimonthly books until Here’s Howie was cancelled with issue #18 in 1954. From there he worked at a more leisurely pace on the two remaining books, along with several Buzzy stories and other occasional features, before leaving the company in 1960.

After a brief return to animation and Warner Bros. at the close of the ’50s to provide layouts for The Bugs Bunny Show and a few shorts, Fitzgerald picked up the reins as the main Dennis the Menace comic book artist, taking over from the equally talented Al Wiseman. His first issue was Dennis the Menace #55 (Nov. 1961), and he remained the cover and feature artist until issue #91 in July 1967.

The next year would see him back in the world of animation for good, working as a layout artist on such shows as Hong Kong Phooey, Scooby’s Laff-a-Lympics, Super Friends, The Smurfs, and Tiny Toon Adventures. He did make a handful of uneventful returns to comics though, drawing the Hanna-Barbera characters.