Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

CGS Patreon suggestions

As mentioned in episode 1689, we're thinking of setting up a Patreon for the podcast and we'd like your thoughts and suggestions on what kind of rewards you'd like to see offered.

Comments

• WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    How about being a guest on the show.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    Just tell when you are launching
    edited March 2018
    A mailbag for patreon only.
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited March 2018
    Night on the town with Drunk Cap and a certain wino with bad hairplugs, a small *****, and a rather dodgy war record.
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    If you guys have some swag that publishers have sent you over the years and you want to send to patrons.
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Bring back the Call Me segment for patrons.
    edited March 2018

Bring back the Call Me segment for patrons.

That would be fun.
    It doesn't need to be complicated exclusively for patreon subscribers.

Maybe one bonus episode a month ( a BoMC, a top 3/5/7/10, a world of toys, Deemer talks games/books/travel, Peter talks DC, Murd talks, an interview, or a random this is what we want to talk about episode). Just something a little different and special.
    Then a 10/15 minute mailbag or call me episode that accompanies each taping.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited March 2018
    Bring back book of the month(bi monthly, quarter, whatever) and let the supporters vote on the book the geeks read.

Supporters get special forum title, avatar, allowed to post banners...
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Bring back movie commentary episodes. Still waiting for that Unbreakable viewing.
    I patreon two podcasts right now.
    One doesn't really do anything special, but I've been listening to for over a decade.
    The other is hockey podcast that I love. I don't even watch hockey and pay to listen to the mailbag and monthly bonus episode.

When CGS launches it's patreon I'm subscribing regardless of bonuses. I think a monthly bonus episode and a 10/15 minute mailbag is plenty. $3.00 or $5.00 to get it. Message out through patreon and Facebook/twitter a day or two before recording to get questions in.

I love the idea of a patreon call me episode (s), but the more I think about it, those probably need to be bonus episodes, and a few shorter listener interviews popping up on the main show as "advertisements" for the patreon. I personally want it to be as successful as possible; you guys have been awesome to a lot of listeners.
    Hurry up because I want my gd mailbag; I've got some questions.
  • I'll be paying close attention to this as well. The LanternCast is hitting ten years this year and I have been thinking about doing this too. But we've always been "uneasy" about asking people for money, and how would we do it? What content do we provide if any?

So I have no idea what to even suggest. Exclusive content would be one, but I can never think of anything people who have been listening for awhile WOULDN'T feel bad they missed but would be a valid reward for paid subscribers, etc.

Exclusive videos? Tours of Pants collection one longbox at a time via video?

• voratiovoratio Posts: 2
    How about a new Bronze Age-themed spinoff? It's a period that's near and dear to many of the Geeks, and presumably, to a reasonable slice of CGS listeners! It could focus on epic creators like Gerber, Englehart, Starlin, MacGregor, Mantlo, Brunner, Cockrum, Colan, Gulacy, Miller, Perez, etc. Or on themes like Kirby's bronze age works, or the impact of Claremont, or the Howard the Duck phenomenon, etc. It's an era of diverse exploration, one in which mainstream comics firmly turned towards being written for an adult audience primarily. Lots to explore!
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
  • voratiovoratio Posts: 2
    Thank you kindly, @David_D! Happy to have found a "voice." As I review my suggestions for Bronze Age themes, I realize several of them have actually been covered brilliantly by the Geeks already in several Spotlight episodes: Starlin, MacGregor, Englehart, and Brunner, to be sure. But I do feel like the Bronze Age is under-examined, and deserves to step out of the shadow of the Golden and Silver Ages and receive its due as a period of influence and experimentation, as important for its misses as for its hits. As in 1970s cinema, a bunch of inspired young minds came on board and bridged the medium from the "good old days" to a murkier, more versatile, and more daring future, and arguably a more sophisticated one. A thesis statement to explore might be, "Resolved: the Bronze Age has more influence on comics today than do the Golden or Silver Ages." That way the conversation could be wide-ranging and utilize the Geeks astonishingly broad knowledge base and analytic skills!
  • I will gladly support the show no matter what the rewards are.