Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Jessica Jones: Season Two (with spoilers)

MattMatt Posts: 4,457
Anyone else watching this? I’ve only gotten to episode 3 so far. It’s not bad. Episode 1 kind of reminded me of season 2 episode 1 of Angel.

Simpson died quicker then I expected. Somewhat disappointed in that. I have this feeling we’ll get some Hellcat-type action this season. Patsy has that steroid inhaler from Simpson, and Jess reminds her of not having powers.

It seems like too many people are aware Jessica has powers. Patsy kept her name out of her broadcasts, and I understand people could google the answer. How many people are really going to google Patsy to see who her mother adopted. Speaking of which, I know her days of Risky Business are long behind her, but Rebecca DeMornay is looking old. I just watched American Reunion yesterday, and I know that was 6 years ago, but she doesn’t look as young.

I’m on the fence predicting if Griffin is going to scoop Patsy or is working for the season’s villain. Also, I’m on the fence if Jessica & her new Super are going to get intimate. There’s tension building.

The Weinstein type angle from Patsy’s past is interesting. I’m not certain if they initially introduced that in season 1 or just expanded upon it to confirm it this season. I’m also trying to recall the timeline of when that scumbag was publicly exposed and when this was Season was shot. Could be a coincidence, then again, part of my issue with people like Meryl Streep trying to take a stand now is that Weinstein was apparently a well known monster in Hollywood before his crimes went public.

I’m not a fan of the term “supers” being used for people like Jessica. Perhaps it’s because my daughter likes watching DC Superhero Girls & that’s the term used in the show.

Comments

• matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    EPISODE 7

I am not even going to mention any major spoilers since people who are not as far as I am might accidently see it. Its a BIG one. This season has kept me engrossed. Not many wasted episodes thus far which is a knock on most of these Netflix shows. I hope the final six keeps it going.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    EPISODE 1

Yikes. That was bad. Worse, it was just mediocre. I do t know how much the budgets or writing staff changed from S1, but that felt like a WB show (and not a good one).

Non-spoiler question: Does it get better?
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited March 2018
    David_D said:

EPISODE 1

Yikes. That was bad. Worse, it was just mediocre. I do t know how much the budgets or writing staff changed from S1, but that felt like a WB show (and not a good one).

Non-spoiler question: Does it get better?

I will say this; the first season pulled stuff from the source material, from what I’ve read. The second season is more of its own material.

I’ve never read the source material. Having said that, season one felt less predictable and cliche. This season seems very predictable. I won’t say exactly about what, but my hunches listed above weren’t completely wrong. I’ve noticed a lot of trends with the narration, beyond the cliches that have developed.

I’m currently six episodes in and there’s really only one reveal I keep looking for. There are some interesting moments, but not necessarily an interesting season.
    I’ve got 2 more episodes to go. I read an article indicating it’s a rough first half, then picks up rapidly the second. I’m still waiting.

I think part of it is I’m not digging the villain. I already mentioned the cliches & predictability, but the villain & new cast members aren’t really engaging. In fact, to shorten views, I started fast-forwarding when 2 people began foreplay. I’m kinda over “sex as escapism” in the series.

Aside from the mentioning of a location, there’s really no connection with the MCU. I’d even settle for mentions or nods toward what happened in Defenders. This felt completely isolated unto its own thing.

I’m not sure how a third season would be if Netflix commits to it.
    Finally finished this. It was rough crossing the finishing line. As the season progressed, I felt like I was watching episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer; just with a less interesting villain. I think part of that was the actress cast for the role. I just wasn’t a fan.

I understand Hogarth ‘got her groove back’ at the end, but there were some moments I thought in the #MeToo era, that we’re questionable. Especially with her side piece suing the law firm for last season’s events.

The Purple Man appearance was a waste. As I said, there was a lot of predictability with this season. If there’s a third season, I’ll probably watch to see how they develop Walker’s powers, but I won’t try to binge it.
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Episode 13

Just finished this week. I enjoyed the season overall. I didn't have any of those deadspots of wasted episodes like some of the Marvel Netflix shows have. It was nice to see Jessica smile at the end of the last episode after what she went through. Even though the last person she killed was not an innocent she does have to deal with being able to control her powers. That's where maybe an appearance by Colleen Wing to help her to fight more defensively.

The Turk appearances have long made me forget about Ben Ulrich. He's a much more entertaining thread than what I think Ben could have been.
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Finished it couple nights ago. Wow. Without a doubt the lamest and worst Netflix marvel show. Just bad imo. With the possible exception of the superintendent and his son, I would be perfectly fine (if not actually pleased) to see every single character in the show parish. And I’m still amazed the superintendent wasn’t revealed as being some kind villain or deviant etc lol.
    Everyone was just as miserable as before and it was just as endlessly unnecessarily bleak and preachy, but the story was so predictable and lacking overall, that it just couldn’t compensate for me like the first season. Just so stupid.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Finished the show in 2 days. Damn good and it is as good as the first season if not better.

I like how most of the main cast managed to grow and change some this season.

Really my only real issue with season 2 was SPOILERS

the appearance from David Tennant wasn't needed.
  • kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    edited March 2018
    I liked it more than season 1. I wasn't that taken with Killgrave from the first season and could have done without a return appearance. Like all the other Netflix shows, they could've tightened the season to 10, maby even 8 episodes. Still, the show remains compelling, Primarily for Krysten Ritters terrific performance as Jones.
    Hmm, looks like there will be a season 3. Hopefully it’s not a misfire & a wasted Kilgrave cameo too.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/4/12/17230984/netflix-jessica-jones-third-season-renewal