Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What comics did you read and like this week?

Comments

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    edited March 2018
    I started reading Curse Words by Charles Soule and Ryan Browne it's been really enjoyable. I'm not far enough into yet to know if it is awesome, but the general plot is a powerful and evil wizard (named Wizord) comes to earth to destroy it for his master then he changes his mind (his master is not happy).
    Chucky S is hit or miss with me, This time it seems to be a hit, and Ryan Browne is just good at comics.
    This is a buy in trade.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Borrowed the first two trades of Lazarus on Hoopla. I can see why it’s getting praise
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    DAR said:

Borrowed the first two trades of Lazarus on Hoopla. I can see why it’s getting praise

This. Everytime, this.
  • Just read Oblivion Song #1 by Kirkman and Lorenzo de Felici. As first issues go, this was top notch work. The artwork was great, and I got a nice balance of plot and character development. It was much less “talky” than invincible or walking dead (so far!), yet I still felt like a got a good amount of story. I know it’s only one issue, but I’m on board. 34 story pages for 3.99..Def worth a buy
  • BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    Even though I hadn't been an every-issue-buyer of this title for a while, I'd been waiting with great patience and curiosity for Action Comics #999, because I am a sentimental lug. I mean, just from the numbering standpoint alone... wow. The first comic I ever bought with my own money was Action Comics #464, it was already deep into triple digits by then (1976), and now the next issue due out will be quadruple digits. Talk about the end of an era! Am trying to focus on the angle of magnificent, unprecedented achievement instead of the angle of sheesh am I old. And you know what helps?

This 999th issue of DC's flagship title was a delight to read.

Jurgens has been doing a terrific job with his recent run - and he and Rapmund, Booth et al deliver a story here which underscores so much of what has always made Superman my favorite character. This was a quiet but perfect way to closeout one era, and usher in another with excitement and hope.

Cheers and thanks to the 72 year run of Action Comics #100-999. If #1000-9999 is even a quarter as much fun, we are in for one helluva new era!
  • Here's some quick hits on issues I've really liked over the last week or so:

Oblivion Song #1 - See SenatorKelly's comments above. Ditto.

Vampironica #1 - The Archie horror series have yet to disappoint me. This one's off to a good start.

Black Monday Murders #8 - Thoroughly confusing, but enjoyable and intriguing series.

Marvel Two in One #4 - Been missing the FF, so this series has been helping to partially scratch that particular itch. I'm a sucker for alternate timelines too, so this issue was right up my alley.

Gideon Falls #1 - Not sure what the hell is going on, but I'm hooked for the time being.

Batman #41, 42 - New story arc with Poison Ivy off to a great start. That Tom King guy is the early clubhouse leader for breakthrough talent of 2018.
  • Currently reading Doug Moench and Bill Sin-kev-ich's Moon Knight run via a Marvel Epic Collection. Pretty cool stuff. Bill's art is great when he inks himself, or is inked by klaus Janson...otherwise, not so great. It's really weird how many times he's paired up with the wrong inker.

The stories are great, tho. Although, I never really warmed up to the quadruple identity thing. Seems shoehorned and a hindrance to the story, not an asset.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Rebels: These Free and Independent States

Got the first six or seven issues on comixology in a recent sale. Blew through them. Great stories. I'm not sure how completely factual they are--the last two I read we're about a young George Washington--but they were really good.
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    Highest House #1

I really liked Highest House #1. It’s my front-runner for best new series of 2018 so far. Not sure exactly where it's going yet, but the world-building so far is top-notch. I've been looking for a really good fantasy series since Fables ended, and this has the makings to be just what I was hoping for. The Unwritten creative team has done it again.

Not sure why I overlooked it in the solicitation, but this is a magazine-sized comic, and they really take advantage of that in the layouts. It’s a $4.95 book, but you get 32 pages, and more story on each page than you get in most comics. Highly recommended.

It was really nice reading a comic that one can "linger" over. A comic that you can't read in 10 minutes and has some real meat to it. My only criticism is with the glossy interior paper. There's a page where were introduced to the tools of the "royal roofer". The page is brown with black text and the light from my bedside lamp reflected off the page so much that I couldn't read it.
    I highly recommend the book, just read it in a well lit room.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    aquatroy said:

Highest House #1

I really liked Highest House #1. It’s my front-runner for best new series of 2018 so far. Not sure exactly where it's going yet, but the world-building so far is top-notch. I've been looking for a really good fantasy series since Fables ended, and this has the makings to be just what I was hoping for. The Unwritten creative team has done it again.

Not sure why I overlooked it in the solicitation, but this is a magazine-sized comic, and they really take advantage of that in the layouts. It’s a $4.95 book, but you get 32 pages, and more story on each page than you get in most comics. Highly recommended.

It was really nice reading a comic that one can "linger" over. A comic that you can't read in 10 minutes and has some real meat to it. My only criticism is with the glossy interior paper. There's a page where were introduced to the tools of the "royal roofer". The page is brown with black text and the light from my bedside lamp reflected off the page so much that I couldn't read it.
    Glad you liked the book too. Though I didn’t have quite the same trouble as you reading those particular pages, I've never been a fan of glossy paper.
  • mphilmphil Posts: 448
    I've been enjoying Cold War from Aftershock, just finished issue #2. It's a little bit of Battle Royale meets Demolition Man meets Running Man meets Sin City. The artwork is very unique.

I have to say that Aftershock is putting out some good books, and has gotten top talent. I'm looking forward to Cullen Bunn's The Brothers Dracul when it comes out soon.
  • I am currently reading a collection of Ostrander and Mandrake's Martian Manhunter stuff from the late 90's. I am blown away by the writing. Up to now, I never found MM particularly interesting, but have been converted.

aquatroy said:

Highest House #1

Glad you liked the book too. Though I didn’t have quite the same trouble as you reading those particular pages, I've never been a fan of glossy paper.
    Glossy paper sucks. I much prefer the soft, slightly off-white almost-newsprint that DC uses on a lot of their TPB's and some of their hardcovers (the Kirby ones from a few years ago, for instance).
    Tonebone said:

I am currently reading a collection of Ostrander and Mandrake's Martian Manhunter stuff from the late 90's. I am blown away by the writing. Up to now, I never found MM particularly interesting, but have been converted.

Great series. Better than their highly touted Spectre series as far as I'm concerned.
    Tonebone said:

Glossy paper sucks. I much prefer the soft, slightly off-white almost-newsprint that DC uses on a lot of their TPB's and some of their hardcovers (the Kirby ones from a few years ago, for instance).

The absolute best paper they’ve used, for my money, was in the Y: The Last Man deluxe edition hardcovers. It’s a little less white than the paper you're talking about (though I like that paper too), has a little more tooth, and is a slightly heavier stock. I'm sure it’s not practical for a monthly book, but I'd like to see them use it for all their hardcovers at least.
    I just remembered that Grass Kings is a monthly series that’s using great paper. That’s from Boom!, so if they can do it, so can DC and Marvel.
    mphil said:

I have to say that Aftershock is putting out some good books, and has gotten top talent. I'm looking forward to Cullen Bunn's The Brothers Dracul when it comes out soon.

I've only read a couple of their books. I really wanted to like Eleanor & the Egret, but it didn’t quite work for me. I like Fu Jitsu quite a bit though. Even nominated the title character as Best New Hero.

mphil said:

I've only read a couple of their books. I really wanted to like Eleanor & the Egret, but it didn’t quite work for me. I like Fu Jitsu quite a bit though. Even nominated the title character as Best New Hero.
    I haven't read any of those. The Aftershock books I've read recently and liked to varying degrees are Monstro Mechanica, Backways, and Cold War. I'd say Cold War has been the strongest of the bunch. Coming up they have Brothers Dracul by Cullen Bunn and A Walk Through Hell by Garth Ennis that I'm looking forward to.
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552

mphil said:

I felt the same way about Eleanor and the Egret. Beautiful to look at, but not much else there.
    edited March 2018
    mphil said:

mphil said:

I haven't read any of those. The Aftershock books I've read recently and liked to varying degrees are Monstro Mechanica, Backways, and Cold War. I'd say Cold War has been the strongest of the bunch. Coming up they have Brothers Dracul by Cullen Bunn and A Walk Through Hell by Garth Ennis that I'm looking forward to.
    I'm not an Ennis fan, so that'll be a pass for me. I like some of Bunn’s stuff, but the Brothers Dracul solicitation didn’t grab me. I'll probably flip through it when it comes out to see if it changes my mind.

Re: Fu Jitsu, I have two words: Quantum Kung-fu. I have two more: Atomic Katana. If those words do nothing for you, then the book’s probably not for you.
    HIghest House #2. Such a good book.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    Ahhh poop. I just got #1on the digital because of you guys now another book out. geez.gonna have to read
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

HIghest House #2. Such a good book.

I saw the first issue in the shop, and it looked gorgeous, but decided to wait for a collection (I figure that will be oversized format, too).

Based on @wildpigcomics recommendation in the Best of episode. I read the first 4 issues of the new Marvel 2 in 1 series. It’s the first non Star Wars Marvel series I’ve read in a few years. So far it’s been........Fantastic
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Just caught up with the first four trades of Tom King’s Batman run. Boy is it fun.
  • BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    Finally sat down and read Nightwing: The New Order #1 - and now I see why it's getting so much praise, I'm definitely going to tear through the rest of this. Would make a perfect DCAnimated movie.
  • Thanos #17. I'm like a broken record with this series. Fantastic.
    I don't think I've posted about it before, but I've really been enjoying Batman White Knight. Just finished #6, looking forward to the final two, I might save them for back-to-back reading.

Probably the art is the best part of the book. Every panel is beautiful. The story is good, I mean I think we all know what's going to happen and it isn't ground breaking, but there are interesting bits and pieces to think about throughout.
  • BryanBryan Posts: 207
    I've also been enjoying Batman: White Knight. Just read issue 7, in fact.

I also picked up two new image titles this week, Analog #1 and Isola #1. I really liked Analog, though no doubt some of you would find it too political. Isola was a little less compelling of a story, but boy Karl Kerschl's artwork is just stunning.
    Marvel 2 in 1 continues to be great. That Chip Zdarsky is pretty good at this comics thing
  • Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    The Ballad of Sang #1 was a lot of fun. It's a revenge story about a boy named Sang working as a mob debt collector who accidentally kills a target, causing the boss Sang was collecting for to kill Sang's surrogate father. If you like old '70s and '80s action/sleaze flicks in the same vein as The Warriors, The Exterminator, L.A. Streetfighters or Black Rain, this comic will probably be up your alley.

Factory #1 I've mentioned this before. I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic and dystopian future stories. I'm also a sucker for French comics. This is one of the better ones I've read in each of those categories. It comes with a $4.99 price tag, so it might not be in everyone's budget. However, it's 30 pages and those 30 pages contain a lot of content and are uninterrupted by ads. Even if you don't want to take a chance on the monthlies, keep an eye out for it in trade. If the next two issues of this trilogy are equally good, it will certainly be worth buying in a collected volume.
  • Just now digging into the Classic Archer and Armstrong Omnibus... the most entertaining and well written (and drawn) stuff I've read in a while, courtesy of Shooter and Windsor-Smith.

Presented nicely, although the pages are oversized, but the comics pages are printed at original size, with a thick black border around the pages. Weird. I'm assuming they were scanned from the printed comics, and enlarging them didn't look very good. It's a shame they wasted that much paper and ink.