Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Venom | Movie News

Comments

• fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Here's what I posted on the book of faces when I first saw this:

While I know the majority of people may not know who Venom is, if you're going to tease this movie, show something with the character besides the stylized face at the end. I got the feeling of this being an late 90's/early 00's superhero film where producers felt as though the source material wasn't strong enough (they may have a point) and so they have to "sexy" it up so it's unrecognizable as a comic inspired film. Okay, okay... this is the teaser, but in this day and age, especially with the superhero awareness our culture now has, this should have been more. Way to go Sony.

...yeah, I'll probably see it anyway...
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I've always been puzzled as to why Venom in particular took off as a character. On the other hand, I'll see anything Tom Hardy is in
  • MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    Venom trailer shows no Venom.
  • CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited February 2018
    Yes, you don't see Tom Hardy as Venom, but here's a few thoughts from someone who LOVES Venom and the symbiotes and will support this film until you give me CONCRETE reason not to:

1) You DO see the symbiote, two in fact (the black almost ferro fluid thing in the canister in the back of the truck)

2) You get a TON of Tom Hardys voice, which IMMEDIATELY sounded like Eddie Brock to me. Accent and all.

3) Remember when the VERY first teaser trailer for Green Lantern released and the CGI wasn't yet "finished" for the film? Everyone IMMEDIATELY ripped into the film saying it was going to be awful because they didn't get the look right. I'm fine with not seeing Venom in full just yet. It means they're taking their time with the CGI and don't want to ruin public perception....or have another 'Spider-Man 3' on their hands. But they JUST finished filming not long ago. Yeah Venom is just ONE CGI character, but it's an INTRICATE AS ALL HELL CGI character. I would rather not see him now if it means when we DO see him he looks finished and I walk away impressed, not critical.

4) It's only a TEASER.

As a huge fan of Venom I'm sick of people saying the symbiotes are lame and idiotic and "quintessential 90's". Sure, as a Venom fan Spider-Man 3 made me IRRATIONALLY ANGRY. But Venom is AWESOME and I hope this film blows everyones minds wide open.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    DAR said:

I've always been puzzled as to why Venom in particular took off as a character. On the other hand, I'll see anything Tom Hardy is in

The mystery of the alien costume was good.

The initial Todd Mcfarlane design was creepy (the Joker grin rather than Erik Larsen's grotesque fangs and tongue).

The origin is tied directly to Peter, and there were few other Spider- characters at the time. Spider-Woman had lost her powers, plus her origin had nothing to do with Peter. The clone was presumed long dead. No one would have imagined Peter Porker meeting Peter Parker in continuity.

So introducing an Evil Spider-Man worked, particularly after so much ground work was laid with the alien costume before Eddie Brock was added to the equation.

Of course he subsequently got over-exposed, but that initial interest makes sense.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    At best, this’ll be a Netflix view for me. Aside from the symbiote occurring during my favorite era of Spidey (and my favorite WebHead costume), I’ve never really been a Venom fan. Much like Hush, Doomsday, & Bane; Venom had a limited purpose that got overly used thereafter.

Yes, you don't see Tom Hardy as Venom, but here's a few thoughts from someone who LOVES Venom and the symbiotes and will support this film until you give me CONCRETE reason not to:

3) Remember when the VERY first teaser trailer for Green Lantern released and the CGI wasn't yet "finished" for the film? Everyone IMMEDIATELY ripped into the film saying it was going to be awful because they didn't get the look right.

Uh... they were wrong? I didn't think the final look of GL improved much upon what was in the teaser. And that was the least of the film's problems (and I thought the movie was kinda fun regardless).

As I said, I'll likely go see it because it's Spidey's universe, but I was disappointed in the overall presentation of the teaser. Why not have a final shot of the symbiote crawling up Eddie's face and then revealing the creepy Venom smile? Would that have been that difficult to do? Doesn't have to be a scene from the film, but a special shot just for the teaser.
  • mphilmphil Posts: 448
    My fear from the trailer is that this is going to be a Eddie Brock movie and not a Venom movie. A lot of times actors don't want to wear masks much because they want the audience to see their face. Although Hardy did wear a mask for the entirety of his Bane role, so that's one thing to be hopeful about.
  • fredzilla said:

3) Remember when the VERY first teaser trailer for Green Lantern released and the CGI wasn't yet "finished" for the film? Everyone IMMEDIATELY ripped into the film saying it was going to be awful because they didn't get the look right.

Uh... they were wrong? I didn't think the final look of GL improved much upon what was in the teaser. And that was the least of the film's problems (and I thought the movie was kinda fun regardless).

As I said, I'll likely go see it because it's Spidey's universe, but I was disappointed in the overall presentation of the teaser. Why not have a final shot of the symbiote crawling up Eddie's face and then revealing the creepy Venom smile? Would that have been that difficult to do? Doesn't have to be a scene from the film, but a special shot just for the teaser.
    I was just using the Green Lantern film as an example of CGI too early. Did the resulting film suck? Sure, but imagine if it didn't. Imagine the bad will it would have gotten as a result of unfinished CGI in the first trailer.

Additionally, Venom wrapped up filming at the very end of January. LAST MONTH. BARELY two weeks ago. And this is the trailer we get. I'm more than ok saying that's not enough time for them to give us finished CGI of Hardy in the symbiote. Sorry. But it's true.
    @CageNarleigh All logical, but you have to admit, a movie about a minor character where cool visuals is like 90% of the appeal, not having *any* of that in a trailer is not a good look.
    edited February 2018
    mphil said:

@CageNarleigh All logical, but you have to admit, a movie about a minor character where cool visuals is like 90% of the appeal, not having *any* of that in a trailer is not a good look.

Maybe, but two weeks after filming ended? I'd rather have NO CGI, than unfinished BAD CGI that ruins my impressions of the movie from word go.

What's worse? Judging a movie for something you HAVEN'T seen but will later?

Or judging it for something you DID see but looked awful and wasn't ready to be seen?
    edited February 2018
    We are judging it based on what we've seen. What we've seen is two minutes of brooding Tom Hardy. We don't like it. Maybe the next trailer will somehow relate to Venom.
    I think everyone here that has commented wants the film to be great and succeed. But our experience also plays into what and why we're arguing. We just don't want to be hyped and then let down like all the other films in the past that have done so.

Venom should be badass. This should have amazing CGI. But if a film just wrapped principle shooting two weeks ago, why are they even throwing out a teaser trailer? Let it stew for a few more months and get something good in there that will get people excited to see. If they don't want the public to be critical of something that isn't finished, they probably shouldn't put it out there.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    CBR has an opinion piece on how this might be the wrong week to try to have a low-key (or low-CG) teaser try to compete

https://www.cbr.com/venom-teaser-trailer-bad-timing/
    I’m always surprised by these mass boycotts. I always think campaigning for these things is ridiculous.

https://www.screengeek.net/2018/02/08/group-of-angry-marvel-fans-organizing-venom-movie-boycott/

I wouldn’t say my decision to skip the theatrical run as anything to do with a boycott. I’m just not interested enough to spend the one & time.
  • PeterPeter Posts: 470
    edited February 2018
    David_D said:

CBR has an opinion piece on how this might be the wrong week to try to have a low-key (or low-CG) teaser try to compete

Compete being the word I suppose. I've never been one to look at a trailer and think "That's no Avengers trailer!" or whatever. lol. That article doesn't give any notion that maybe people who see one trailer can separate it from others. It just keeps feeding the sheep mentality. Bleh.

I dunno - I saw the Venom trailer and thought it was far more interesting than the new Avengers trailer. And I hate trailers. lol. But a trailer isn't a movie, nor should it be.

I even had the random thought of: "Could be the next Logan". :no_mouth: :innocent:
    edited February 2018
    Peter said:

David_D said:

I dunno - I saw the Venom trailer and thought it was far more interesting than the new Avengers trailer. And I hate trailers. lol. But a trailer isn't a movie, nor should it be.

I even had the random thought of: "Could be the next Logan". :no_mouth: :innocent:

Haha!

Peter said:

I have to admit, I wasn’t interested enough in the movie to watch the trailer until I read this.

“The next Logan” seems like a bit of a stretch.
    Matt said:

Peter said:

I have to admit, I wasn’t interested enough in the movie to watch the trailer until I read this.

“The next Logan” seems like a bit of a stretch.
    Let's all hope it's more "The next Logan" and much less "The next Green Lantern"...
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    As a certain comic book guy might say...

Worst. Trailer. Ever.

I understand it’s a teaser. But I’m not teased. I’m now disinterested.

I hope the actual trailer delivers something to reingnite that interest.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Proper trailer now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Mv98Gr5pY

Whatever else, it has a bunch of good actors in it. Going with a more Larsen-y Venom visual than the Mcfarlane version.
    Brack said:

Proper trailer now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Mv98Gr5pY

Whatever else, it has a bunch of good actors in it. Going with a more Larsen-y Venom visual than the Mcfarlane version.

I guess they decided to repurpose the suit from Spawn.
  • I STILL don't care what anyone says.

This movie is going to be awesome.

Bring it on haters.

I STILL don't care what anyone says.

Bring it on haters.

I’ll weigh in about a year from now. It should be on Netflix by then.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited April 2018

I STILL don't care what anyone says.

Bring it on haters.

Here's hoping! I will say that, given the flood of superhero movies coming at us, I do get more intrigued by the ones that look to be trying a different sort of thing. I don't think I will rush to see this, but if there is good buzz once it is being seen I would check it out. And Hardy is an excellent actor, so that helps. Especially as this is looking (hopefully) more driven by performance than computer graphics.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I said this somewhere else but I prefer the terrifying Spider-Man villain to the crime fighting anti-hero.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I said this somewhere else but I prefer the terrifying Spider-Man villain to the crime fighting anti-hero.

Agreed. I don't care much for Venom regardless, but given the choice...
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I actually prefer the symbiote to Venom. Those issues with Parker fighting against the symbiote were awesome. Though I did like in one early fight, Pete stripped off his suit & basically said “if you want me, here I am.” Then the symbiote began to leave Brock for him. I thought it was cool it wanted to really be with Parker.

I put Venom in the same category as Hush & Bane; great for a story arc, but outlived their usefulness. They just never get presented as interesting or as much a threat as the initial appearance.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited April 2018
    Matt said:

I put Venom in the same category as Hush & Bane; great for a story arc, but outlived their usefulness. They just never get presented as interesting or as much a threat as the initial appearance.

Yep. Though I didn't find Hush or Bane all that interesting in and of themselves, but rather in how they affected Batman’s psyche. Venom, at least, had that as well as being somewhat interesting as an individual concept.