Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Avengers: Infinity War (Spoilers. Seen it? Discuss it here!)

I figured I would leave this here a little early, just in case.

Comments

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Well.. I think that next Avengers movie will be much easier as far as dealing with actor schedules ;)
    I also think those end credits could only have trolled the audience harder if they played Kansas’ “Dust In The Wind”.
    It is also a hell of a good way to get people to show up for a Captain Marvel movie.
    edited April 2018
    Also, I loved it.

And it was great seeing it with a packed audience, who just couldn't believe what they were seeing. It was nice to see people actually be surprised.

And I think this was a great way, in the huge universe of fan-favorite characters they have built, to let the next Avengers movie focus more solidly on their original lineup, which will likely be a swan song for a few of those actors, without being too crowded. And then the whole thing becomes a big passing of the torch to the newer characters who they are saving, bringing back, and then stepping aside for. Good stuff.
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    So I guess we there will be a part 2? It was epic. 2 hours and forty minutes that went by quickly. Why did they bait and switch us with the Hulk? I know we got him early but I guess the Hulk didn't want a second butt-kicking. I am going to see it again hopefully this week and give more thoughts. So much to unpack.
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Question: They didn't have rabbits and raccoons on Asgard? Rabbits and no raccoons?
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Question: They didn't have rabbits and raccoons on Asgard? Rabbits and no raccoons?

Maybe what we call “raccoons” on Earth are what they call “rabbits” on Asgard.
  • MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    So how many of the characters that died will actually stay dead? I'm almost ready to say even as far back as Loki will comeback.

But there's absolutely no way that Black Panther their new Billion Dollar character is dead. No way Spider-Man is dead, Their not killing off the entire Guardians Of The Galaxy besides Rocket.

I think they already setup how they'll do it when Thanos reversed time to bring back Vision. And this is absolutely Doctor Stranges plan, the one way they win of millions.

I really liked this movie a lot, I enjoyed every story, and Thanos was very good in this, definitely my favorite MCU villain.
  • mbatzmbatz Posts: 63
    really enjoyed the pairings - Tony, Peter and Strange .... Thor , Rocket and Groot. The Gamora Thanos emotional beat fell flat and missed for me. It was a great "event" comic on the screen. Wakanda was the least interesting setting of the film. Stark is the best
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868

Raccoons are native to North America, so unlikely to be part of Norse Mythology. Squirrels on the other hand.
  • kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    To me, Infinity War was Marvels Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. A Great huge multicolored Behemoth that dazzled without quite living up to all the hype and expectation heaped on it.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Good flick. They wove all the characters and story together beautifully.

As a huge Hickman fan it was great to see his characters from Infinity on the screen.
    edited April 2018
    In the credits it said, "character from Arrested Development courtesy of.." ...ok, did I miss something?

Edit: always Google first

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mashable.com/2018/04/27/avengers-infinity-war-easter-egg-arrested-development.amp
  • bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    I saw it this morning and loved it. I also couldn't believe how full the theater was for a 11:40am showing. The time did go by fast as well. I was still wanting more when it ended (which is better then hoping it ends soon).

Until I read David D's post above, I didn't even realize that the original line up is all still alive. Though to be fair we don't know about Hawkeye. Will part two give us some great Hawkeye spotlights or did he turn to ash off panel?
  • Wow! I mean, like ... wow!
    edited April 2018
    Thanos' desire for balance in the universe waters him down a little, imho. In The Infinity Gauntlet his love for Death drove him to kill in an attempt to win her affection. I can see where that would be hard to explain in the movie. Still, his motivations in the comic are much more twisted..and mad, but Thanos in the movie believes he is doing what is noble. In a perverse way he thinks he is saving the universe from itself.

When he completed his task, in the film, he retired. The Thanos of The Infinity Gauntlet had no such plans. He craved power. He ascended - becoming one with the universe - replacing Eternity(which lead to his downfall - spoilers).

I guess I would have liked the movie Thanos to have a little more of that power hungry madness we saw in the comic.

However, that's not to say I didn't thoroughly enjoy what we got.
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Wow, great movie! Kept me on the edge of my seat for most of it. I especially loved the scene in which Cap shows up. Seemed like even the villains knew they were in for it. Thanos? I think he came across much better here than his earlier appearances in the films. Sure, his motivation for getting the stones is different from the comics (balance vs. his lady love), but in achieving that balance he's killing half the universe? Uh...doesn't seem very watered down to me. I especially wonder what he did to Xandar...and after all that the GofG did to save it from Ronan. Anyways, I'm kinda wishing they showed the Antman and the Wasp earlier so the next movie would be Captain Marvel.
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Thanos' desire for balance in the universe waters him down a little, imho. In The Infinity Gauntlet his love for Death drove him to kill in an attempt to win her affection. I can see where that would be hard to explain in the movie. Still, his motivations in the comic are much more twisted..and mad, but Thanos in the movie believes he is doing what is noble. In a perverse way he thinks he is saving the universe from itself.

When he completed his task, in the film, he retired. The Thanos of The Infinity Gauntlet had no such plans. He craved power. He ascended - becoming one with the universe - replacing Eternity(which lead to his downfall - spoilers).

I guess I would have liked the movie Thanos to have a little more of that power hungry madness we saw in the comic.

However, that's not to say I didn't thoroughly enjoy what we got.

What’s interesting is how this seems like an Avengers movie in name only. If you see the movie with the mindset he’s the hero, it could’ve been the first movie of a Thanos franchise. Especially with “Thanos Will Return” at the end.

I’m still hoping for my theory the next movie is Avengers: 4ever (plucking heroes from different point of the MCU to fight in the Battle of New York to alter the future), but maybe the title of A4 includes Thanos.
    alienal said:

Wow, great movie! Kept me on the edge of my seat for most of it. I especially loved the scene in which Cap shows up. Seemed like even the villains knew they were in for it. Thanos? I think he came across much better here than his earlier appearances in the films. Sure, his motivation for getting the stones is different from the comics (balance vs. his lady love), but in achieving that balance he's killing half the universe? Uh...doesn't seem very watered down to me. I especially wonder what he did to Xandar...and after all that the GofG did to save it from Ronan. Anyways, I'm kinda wishing they showed the Antman and the Wasp earlier so the next movie would be Captain Marvel.

I agree. It’s like when Ant-man was released right after AoU. I kept wishing Civil War was the next movie.
    alienal said:

he's killing half the universe? Uh...doesn't seem very watered down to me.

I was only speaking of his motivations and how Thanos killing half the universe was, to him, heroic. Compared to the comic where he did it for the love of death itself and then ascended to cosmic godhood..yeah, watered down.

edited April 2018
    I see what @Mr_Cosmic is saying, insofar as in the original, that he was doing it as an act of love, made it this more operatic kind of motivation. So I can see that the version of him in the movie is watered down compared to the grand scale of that kind of space opera.

And I think that worked well in the comics. But I like that they changed it in this to something that was a corrupted version of doing something good for all, the ultimate twist on the idea of heroism and sacrifice. I think that was more interesting to watch than if he was trying to do it to earn the love of someone.

Instead, they got to tell the story of his sacrificing the only love he ever had (for his adopted daughter) and accepting that what he is doing will make him reviled by all, but to him that is worth it to save the universe.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Haven't seen it yet. So you're saying they turned Thanos into a cosmic Ra’s al Ghul?

Haven't seen it yet. So you're saying they turned Thanos into a cosmic Ra’s al Ghul?

Like Killmonger, maybe?
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Matt said:

Like Killmonger, maybe?
    Well, I hear Killmonger is now Marvel’s most popular movie villain, so why not take away the one thing that distinguishes Thanos as a unique character so they can have another popular villain?
    This scene from the trailer was my favorite part of the movie...oh wait..

David_D said:

I see what @Mr_Cosmic is saying, insofar as in the original, that he was doing it as an act of love, made it this more operatic kind of motivation. So I can see that the version of him in the movie is watered down compared to the grand scale of that kind of space opera.

And I think that worked well in the comics. But I like that they changed it in this to something that was a corrupted version of doing something good for all, the ultimate twist on the idea of heroism and sacrifice. I think that was more interesting to watch than if he was trying to do it to earn the love of someone.

Instead, they got to tell the story of his sacrificing the only love he ever had (for his adopted daughter) and accepting that what he is doing will make him reviled by all, but to him that is worth it to save the universe.

Yes, I agree, and I enjoyed the movie version for what he was. They needed to give a character most viewers knew nothing about an easy to understand reason for wanting to obtain the gems and kill half the universe. It worked in this movie..like it's worked a hundred times over in other stories. The bad guy who thinks he is accomplishing some noble goal by doing something evil.

Heck, sacrificing your only child to save others has a familiar ring to it, no? Speaking of godhood, that is another part of the character that I felt was missing. Whatever his motivations for killing half the universe were I was disappointed Thanos simply retreated to his hut to watch the sunrise. Thanos traditionally seeks ways to become the most powerful - Cosmic Cube, Gauntlet, whatever. In the Infinity Gauntlet comic, after being unable to impress Death with his slaughter, he takes on the cosmos and becomes god.

Anyway, just another case of a crusty old fan boy complaining the characters on screen don't match the comics. :)
    Matt said:
    Wow:
    Most impressively, "Infinity War" nabbed the global record without the help of China, the world's second biggest movie market. The film opens there on May 11.