Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Avengers: Infinity War (Spoilers. Seen it? Discuss it here!)

Comments

• MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited April 2018
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:
    Wow:
    Most impressively, "Infinity War" nabbed the global record without the help of China, the world's second biggest movie market. The film opens there on May 11.

For comparison: Justice League’s worldwide box office run netted almost $658 million.

Preview night & opening weekend puts Infinity War worldwide box office at $630 million. And those scattered popping sounds are the heads of DC hardo fanboys exploding.

I’m curious if there’ll be a second week massive drop off or if the movie has legs.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Disney now owns nine of the ten best openings. The lone wolf or dinosaur Jurassic World
  • spidspid Posts: 203
    I have to tip my hat off to not only the Russo Brothers for pulling off this delicate balance, but Marvel/Disney for having the guts to let the bad guy win. This is ultimate event comic brought into a life action film. I love that even though they do not follow the comics beat by beat they still stick to the spirit of the comic story lines.

The moment where Spider-man tries to stop himself from dying hit you right in the feels even if logically you know Tom Holland is coming back for other Spider-man movies.
  • MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    Before Ragnarok I was indifferent to Thor, but after that and Infinity War he's easily my 2nd favorite Avenger behind Cap.

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited April 2018
    Mihawk said:

Before Ragnarok I was indifferent to Thor, but after that and Infinity War he's easily my 2nd favorite Avenger behind Cap.

I feel like this one really uses him well.

On the flip side, I feel like Infinity War was not a great one for Cap. I think Peter Quill got more screen time than he did, which is weird for an Avengers movie. Hopefully he will get to shine more in the next one.

(And it helps the next one is looking less crowded!)
    David_D said:

Mihawk said:

I feel like this one really uses him well.

On the flip side, I feel like Infinity War was not a great one for Cap. I think Peter Quill got more screen time than he did, which is weird for an Avengers movie. Hopefully he will get to shine more in the next one.
    I agree. The moment I was most looking forward to because of the trailers was went Steve was struggling with the gauntlet. I thought it’d be this key scene. Instead, it was just a quick moment in a colleague of people fighting Thanos.

I thought for sure it was the scene of his death, even up to the moment Thanos punches him in the head. Alas, that didn’t happen either.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I absolutely loved it. The ending brought me back to seeing Empire Strikes Back for the first time.
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I am still mentally unpacking this thing. I think I will have a better feel when I see it again on Thursday. I will know have the frame of mind that this is the first half of a nearly six hour movie.
    Full disclosure: Its only because of DC hardo fans downplaying the MCU movies as “comedy kids’ movies”, that’s caused me to smile at stuff like this:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/amp/2018/04/30/avengers-infinity-war-box-office-justice-league/
  • HexHex Posts: 944
    Greg said:

I absolutely loved it. The ending brought me back to seeing Empire Strikes Back for the first time.

Funny you should say that...
    I was extremely fortunate enough the attend the Hollywood Premier last week. At the after party I was chatting with Kevin Feige, explaining how furious my kids were going to be at the ending, and having to wait 12 months for resolution. His reply was to explain how when we were kids, we had to wait 3 years for closure on Empire!
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Hex said:

Greg said:

Funny you should say that...
    I was extremely fortunate enough the attend the Hollywood Premier last week. At the after party I was chatting with Kevin Feige, explaining how furious my kids were going to be at the ending, and having to wait 12 months for resolution. His reply was to explain how when we were kids, we had to wait 3 years for closure on Empire!
    Admit it: You just wanted to brag about having kids ;)
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Peter Dinklage by the way... great little cameo.
    Thor stole the show in way of the big 3. Don’t think Cap would’ve been missed if he wasn’t in it all.
    All in all absolutely loved it. Great little teaser for the post credit scene too.
    Oh and still love Drax. Comedic timing is perfect. Love the chemistry he has with Mantis too.
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    luke52 said:

Thor stole the show in way of the big 3.

I agree. The audience even gave out a huge cheer when he arrived at the battle in Wakanda.

A couple of things I didn't like:

Mark Ruffalo. Thought his performance was just awful.

The early interactions between Dr. Strange and Iron Man. I know it's "tropey" for superheroes to get into pissing contests with each other, but this seemed really forced and out of place to me.

Star Lord snapping Thanos out of Mantis' spell. As they say on ESPN, "C'MON, MAN!!"

Proxima Midnight looked very CGI-ey. It was a distraction every time she was on screen.

A couple of things I didn't like:

Mark Ruffalo. Thought his performance was just awful.

The early interactions between Dr. Strange and Iron Man. I know it's "tropey" for superheroes to get into pissing contests with each other, but this seemed really forced and out of place to me.

Star Lord snapping Thanos out of Mantis' spell. As they say on ESPN, "C'MON, MAN!!"

Proxima Midnight looked very CGI-ey. It was a distraction every time she was on screen.

They did seem to make Banner the comic relief.
    Matt said:

Yeah. Didn't work for me. I've never been impressed with him as an actor. I know I've seen things that he's been in, but he's never stood out to me.

Matt said:

Yeah. Didn't work for me. I've never been impressed with him as an actor. I know I've seen things that he's been in, but he's never stood out to me.

Strictly acting wise, I like him as Banner, but not how he was used here. It seemed 2 steps further down the Ragnarok path.

I didn’t care for him in Now You See Me 2...but then again, that movie felt like The Dark Knight Strikes Again.
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Matt said:

I’m still hoping for my theory the next movie is Avengers: 4ever (plucking heroes from different point of the MCU to fight in the Battle of New York to alter the future), but maybe the title of A4 includes Thanos.

If you're basing it off of the pictures apparently depicting a return to the first movie... the Russos have hinted that it's not time travel. more like the technology from Civil War.l
  • HexHex Posts: 944

luke52 said:

Thor stole the show in way of the big 3.

I agree. The audience even gave out a huge cheer when he arrived at the battle in Wakanda.

Ha... Infinity War definitely felt like the movie of Grand Entrances. All the big guns definitely needed to have their moment in the sun. Maybe it was a contract thing?
    edited May 2018

Matt said:

I’m still hoping for my theory the next movie is Avengers: 4ever (plucking heroes from different point of the MCU to fight in the Battle of New York to alter the future), but maybe the title of A4 includes Thanos.

If you're basing it off of the pictures apparently depicting a return to the first movie... the Russos have hinted that it's not time travel. more like the technology from Civil War.l
    Ive heard BARF is part of it, but also saw set photos with an aged Stark (or at least gray haired) in a SHIELD suit. And Lang is there too.
  • MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    I wonder if this will be their way to reboot some stuff so FF and the X-Men can be added into the universe.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    You know, of all the things that happened in the movie, I think the Red Skull's appearance was the scene that blew my mind. I was not expecting him to be there in that scene let alone in the movie. I know he explained why he was there but I think I was too shocked to grasp it.
    Find out if you were spared or killed.

http://www.didthanoskill.me/

Like Destiny’s Child, I’m a survivor.
    Matt said:

Find out if you were spared or killed.

http://www.didthanoskill.me/

Like Destiny’s Child, I’m a survivor.

Same!