Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Avengers: Infinity War (Spoilers. Seen it? Discuss it here!)

Comments

• Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    Because EW just tweeted an article whose headline was "How the Missing Heroes May End Up Saving the Day", I thought about the classic line-up, minus Hawkeye, and add in two of the survivors... Antman, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, and Wasp... for the follow-up movie.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Matt said:

Find out if you were spared or killed.

http://www.didthanoskill.me/

Like Destiny’s Child, I’m a survivor.

I’m a goner!
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Matt said:

Matt said:

I’m still hoping for my theory the next movie is Avengers: 4ever (plucking heroes from different point of the MCU to fight in the Battle of New York to alter the future), but maybe the title of A4 includes Thanos.

If you're basing it off of the pictures apparently depicting a return to the first movie... the Russos have hinted that it's not time travel. more like the technology from Civil War.l
    Ive heard BARF is part of it, but also saw set photos with an aged Stark (or at least gray haired) in a SHIELD suit. And Lang is there too.
    I forgot about those. Hrmm.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Thanos' desire for balance in the universe waters him down a little, imho. In The Infinity Gauntlet his love for Death drove him to kill in an attempt to win her affection. I can see where that would be hard to explain in the movie. Still, his motivations in the comic are much more twisted..and mad, but Thanos in the movie believes he is doing what is noble. In a perverse way he thinks he is saving the universe from itself.

When he completed his task, in the film, he retired. The Thanos of The Infinity Gauntlet had no such plans. He craved power. He ascended - becoming one with the universe - replacing Eternity(which lead to his downfall - spoilers).

I guess I would have liked the movie Thanos to have a little more of that power hungry madness we saw in the comic.

However, that's not to say I didn't thoroughly enjoy what we got.

Looks like there is precendent for it

https://io9.gizmodo.com/thanos-motivations-in-avengers-infinity-war-have-much-1825660879

• Options
    Adam_MurdoughAdam_Murdough Posts: 506
    Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Thanos' desire for balance in the universe waters him down a little, imho. In The Infinity Gauntlet his love for Death drove him to kill in an attempt to win her affection. I can see where that would be hard to explain in the movie. Still, his motivations in the comic are much more twisted..and mad, but Thanos in the movie believes he is doing what is noble. In a perverse way he thinks he is saving the universe from itself.

When he completed his task, in the film, he retired. The Thanos of The Infinity Gauntlet had no such plans. He craved power. He ascended - becoming one with the universe - replacing Eternity(which lead to his downfall - spoilers).

I guess I would have liked the movie Thanos to have a little more of that power hungry madness we saw in the comic.

However, that's not to say I didn't thoroughly enjoy what we got.

Looks like there is precendent for it

https://io9.gizmodo.com/thanos-motivations-in-avengers-infinity-war-have-much-1825660879

Kind of, but not really: the "grimly ecological bent" to Thanos' genocidal aspirations shown in this Silver Surfer story still arises from his devotion to Lady Death, and not from any (murderously misguided) personal benevolence of his own, as appears to be the case in the movie.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I loved this movie. It was so good. I wanted to comment on the Geeks not liking the death of Peter Parker/Spider-Man. They felt it was a bit overdramatic and long. I read an article that says the reason it was like that was that of Peter's Spider-Sense. He realized what was happening before it happened and that's why he was as scared as he was. I'm a comic fan and I've read this and I still got emotional. I thought it was sad.

Overall, I thought this movie had everything I wanted and a few things I didn't even know I needed. It was great.
  • Options
    This still seems to be the biggest criticism, but only from critics/reviewers. Not sure why it’s thats big a deal. The percentage of audience members coming into this completely blind is gonna be minute.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/avengers-infinity-war-makes-no-sense-except-at-the-box-office-1.3481496?mode=amp
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Can someone repeat or paraphrase red skull’s dialogue? Due to a distraction, i missed everything he said and only picked up he was made guardian of the stone ir was otherwise watching over it somehow in some way.
  • Options
    I liked the movie a lot, but splitting the story in two definitely bugged me. I mean I get it- it's a long movie as it was, and two movies make more money than 1, but it really didn't feel complete. It's similar to why I sometimes like to wait for trades because I like to get the whole story at once, rather than waiting for the next piece to come out. I'm sure once part 2 is out- both of them together will vault up to the top of my favorite movies list. For now, if felt like the movie-
  • Options

I liked the movie a lot, but splitting the story in two definitely bugged me. I mean I get it- it's a long movie as it was, and two movies make more money than 1, but it really didn't feel complete. It's similar to why I sometimes like to wait for trades because I like to get the whole story at once, rather than waiting for the next piece to come out. I'm sure once part 2 is out- both of them together will vault up to the top of my favorite movies list. For now, if felt like the movie-

Reportedly, A4(ever??) is going to be a different movie. That’s why “pt 2” was dropped.

If you think of it as a Thanos movie, it felt as complete as any other solo film. Plus, I recall thinking Infinity Gauntlet didn’t feel like a complete story until Infinity Crusade concluded.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

I love the meta of this post about completeness stopping mid-thought. Well-played.
  • Options
    As I stated on the review episode, this was pretty much the main criticism I’ve read. It’s humourous the critic is getting roasted for it.

https://mashable.com/2018/04/29/new-yorker-avengers-infinity-war/?utm_cid=mash-goog-amp-morein
  • Options
    Nearly $1 billion in about 10 days of its run.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/05/04/box-office-avengers-infinity-war-tops-900m-may-pass-1-billion-today/amp/

I’ve read there’s a $100-125 million weekend predicted for this weekend yet.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I found this video and thought it was interesting enough so I wanted to share it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icgVoIWpUbM
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    With regard to survivors, I don't recall seeing Banner alive in the aftermath. What is causing the interpretation that he survived being phased into a cliff face? He wouldn't have smoked out if he were already dead before Thanos ashed everyone else.
  • Options
    He was there. When Steve was on the ground following the dusting of half everyone, Banner’s head is exposed in the Hulkbuster armor.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    Matt said:

He was there. When Steve was on the ground following the dusting of half everyone, Banner’s head is exposed in the Hulkbuster armor.

Which is the worst special effect that I noticed. Maybe it works better in 3D.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    So are they doing this story without Warlock? Because that would be really weird. I expected him to at least come out of his cocoon in this one.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    mphil said:

So are they doing this story without Warlock? Because that would be really weird. I expected him to at least come out of his cocoon in this one.

Having a Thanos story without Warlock, Silver Surfer, or Mar-Vell is weird..but, unfortunately, that's the state of the MCU.
  • Options
    OriusOrius Posts: 188
    Seen the movie on the second day of its opening, and I wrote a review for it immediately on another website. Here's the link if you're interested. Otherwise, I'll just share a few thoughts from that review here.

I have to say that Marvel really surpassed my cynical expectations for them with that ending. This was almost exactly the way I wanted the movie to go -- in a "kill 'em all" fashion -- like in the comics, but being a Disney/Marvel movie, I thought that might have been a little too scary for the younger audience. I mean, which parent would pay to let their children see Spider-Man get killed after pleading for his life?

...ah boy, that really traumatized me, and I'm an adult who knew there's already a planned Homecoming sequel.

I'm so hyped for Avengers 4 right now, so much so that the latest Ant-Man and the Wasp trailer felt a little disappointing for me. I wanted a little hint of what's to come for A4, and perhaps a little IW tie-in on what role Ant-Man is going to play. I was one of the minority who didn't really enjoy Ant-Man's rather... surface-level comedy, so I'm not sure if I'd bother to catch this sequel if the movie is as IW-less as the trailer suggests. I'm hoping this isn't so.

I did have a few problems with IW. It's not perfect, but it's still one heck of a movie. One thing I am bothered by is that there were too many characters, such that some characters became left out and insignificant in this major war. And Captain America, a super soldier in the most important war of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, not having that much to do in the Wakanda battle, just felt weird and out of place. It was like a Lord of the Rings/Braveheart deal with that massive army, and it was Cap's opportunity to display his tactical prowess being in such an army, so it was kinda disappointing that he was shuffled into background noise for the most part.

Also, that ending. As much as I love it, I wish Marvel didn't announce the sequels to those characters who were gonna die. For practical reasons, I don't see how they could do so, because they had to announce it no matter what. But yeah, the impact would have been greater if we didn't know if they're gonna come back or not. Just a minor detail.

Overall, I give it an 8/10. Top-notch... but Black Panther is still my favorite Marvel film. :tongue:
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Became the fastest movie to gross $1B, doing so in only 11 days, beating The Force Awakens, which had done it in 12.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    mphil said:

If he’s introduced, it will be in Guardians 3. At least that’s what James Gunn said.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Finally got around watching it.

It did the job it was contractually obliged to do, but I could have used someone pointing out to Thanos that maybe there were better ways to use the stones to make the universe better than his dumb plan.

Of course, if you did that, you'd then have to address why the heroes won't do that when they get the stones in the sequel, rather than just hitting the cosmic reset button.

Hoping that the sequel is smaller and weirder. And above all, shorter.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    SLIGHTLY related question...(I couldn't ask it in the Venom thread because of the Infinity War spoiler and the fact that spoiler tags won't work here for some reason)

Now that Peter/Spiderman is "dead", and presumably not going to come back until Avengers 4 at the earliest, it's safe to assume that the cameo Tom Holland has in 'Venom' will then be a flashback right?

I wonder then what that means for the potential that Spidey HAS interacted with the symbiote in the past?
  • Options

SLIGHTLY related question...(I couldn't ask it in the Venom thread because of the Infinity War spoiler and the fact that spoiler tags won't work here for some reason)

Now that Peter/Spiderman is "dead", and presumably not going to come back until Avengers 4 at the earliest, it's safe to assume that the cameo Tom Holland has in 'Venom' will then be a flashback right?

I wonder then what that means for the potential that Spidey HAS interacted with the symbiote in the past?

Has that been a confirmed cameo?
  • Options
    Brack said:

It did the job it was contractually obliged to do, but I could have used someone pointing out to Thanos that maybe there were better ways to use the stones to make the universe better than his dumb plan.

Of course, if you did that, you'd then have to address why the heroes won't do that when they get the stones in the sequel, rather than just hitting the cosmic reset button.

Brack said:

Is this similar to the “rather then reduce the universal population, just increase the amount of resources” critique I’ve read?

The Russo Brothers have confirmed A4 is longer then IW.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    "Dad..."

#OnionsInHere
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Matt said:

Brack said:

Brack said:

Is this similar to the “rather then reduce the universal population, just increase the amount of resources” critique I’ve read?

A post so nice you quoted it twice :)

It's sort of that critique, but it's more the need to have someone oppose Thanos on a philosophical level rather than just at a personal level. That felt like the one thing missing for me.

• Options
    Brack said:

Matt said:

Brack said:

Brack said:

A post so nice you quoted it twice :)

It's sort of that critique, but it's more the need to have someone oppose Thanos on a philosophical level rather than just at a personal level. That felt like the one thing missing for me.

There was some glitch when I was posting. Apparently, I have more options on this forum then I ever was aware.

Hmm. Not sure how’d that play out as a climax.

As dumb plans go, I don’t think it’s any worse then someone who wants to take over the world.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    They should have stuck with Thanos doing it to try and impress Death.

I mean, you're not being deep by bringing up the "greater good" moral dilemma. That's used in approximately 99% of all hero stories at some point. It's not original, it doesn't give the character layer. It's lazy, regurgitated, pseudointellectual "philosophy".