Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Avengers: Infinity War (Spoilers. Seen it? Discuss it here!)

Comments

• BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited May 2018
    Matt said:

Brack said:

Matt said:

Brack said:

Finally got around watching it.

It did the job it was contractually obliged to do, but I could have used someone pointing out to Thanos that maybe there were better ways to use the stones to make the universe better than his dumb plan.

Of course, if you did that, you'd then have to address why the heroes won't do that when they get the stones in the sequel, rather than just hitting the cosmic reset button.

Hoping that the sequel is smaller and weirder. And above all, shorter.

Brack said:

Finally got around watching it.

It did the job it was contractually obliged to do, but I could have used someone pointing out to Thanos that maybe there were better ways to use the stones to make the universe better than his dumb plan.

Of course, if you did that, you'd then have to address why the heroes won't do that when they get the stones in the sequel, rather than just hitting the cosmic reset button.

Hoping that the sequel is smaller and weirder. And above all, shorter.

Is this similar to the “rather then reduce the universal population, just increase the amount of resources” critique I’ve read?

The Russo Brothers have confirmed A4 is longer then IW.
    A post so nice you quoted it twice :)

It's sort of that critique, but it's more the need to have someone oppose Thanos on a philosophical level rather than just at a personal level. That felt like the one thing missing for me.

There was some glitch when I was posting. Apparently, I have more options on this forum then I ever was aware.

Hmm. Not sure how’d that play out as a climax.

As dumb plans go, I don’t think it’s any worse then someone who wants to take over the world.
    As a long term way of reducing a perceived population problem it's not as effective as say, drastically reducing the fertility of every single being in the universe. Of course ending a movie of in vivo shots of eggs and sperm disappearing might lack dramatic impact.

• OriusOrius Posts: 188
    edited May 2018
    mphil said:

They should have stuck with Thanos doing it to try and impress Death.

I mean, you're not being deep by bringing up the "greater good" moral dilemma. That's used in approximately 99% of all hero stories at some point. It's not original, it doesn't give the character layer. It's lazy, regurgitated, pseudointellectual "philosophy".

Yeah, but killing the universe for the sake of a romantic interest seems kinda... goofy. :neutral:
  • mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Orius said:

mphil said:

I mean, you're not being deep by bringing up the "greater good" moral dilemma. That's used in approximately 99% of all hero stories at some point. It's not original, it doesn't give the character layer. It's lazy, regurgitated, pseudointellectual "philosophy".

Yeah, but killing the universe for the sake of a romcom come true seems kinda... goofy. :neutral:
    A glove of gemstones that make the wearer omnipotent is already goofy. So just be goofy, don't bring beaten-to-death philosophical arguments into the story.
    edited May 2018
    mphil said:

Orius said:

mphil said:

Yeah, but killing the universe for the sake of a romcom come true seems kinda... goofy. :neutral:
    A glove of gemstones that make the wearer omnipotent is already goofy. So just be goofy, don't bring beaten-to-death philosophical arguments into the story.
    Carrying over my edit of my previous comment over to this post:

To be fair, I did kinda want them to delve deeper into the very concept of "death" and why Thanos was attracted by the personification of it. It could have led to a far more deeper motivation dealing with nihilism and Thanos' obsession with it. That would have also been a lot more interesting than population crisis, a motivation that the Russos didn't seem that enthusiastic in exploring anyway.

But I did read that the reason they didn't do it was because Death is a metaphysical character, and the MCU just hasn't had the opportunity to explore that kind of character yet. With so many characters already crammed in Infinity War, I could see why they skipped on her. It's practical, and I can't argue with that. Look at what happened to DCEU when they ignored practicality, trying to cram as much content in as possible into BvS.
    You don't have to have a personification of Death appear though. Just have Thanos believe that there is one and leave it to the audience to decide whether his fanaticism has any basis in fact.

I'm curious at what point they decided to go in this direction with Thanos' character, because it smacked to me of something born of necessity rather than something someone thought was a strong story.
    Brack said:

I'm curious at what point they decided to go in this direction with Thanos' character, because it smacked to me of something born of necessity rather than something someone thought was a strong story.

Kinda like how the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver aren't mutants, or how they had to change The Ancient One and the Mandarin because of racial controversies, or how they toned down Tony Stark's alcoholic problem. These are little necessary compromises that do disappoint me, but over time, I've learned to just accept it, and accept the fact that the MCU would make even more necessary compromises for the good of building this universe. That would possibly mean a lot more changes from the comics, so I guess we should just prepare ourselves for more 'disappointments' to come.
    edited May 2018
    Orius said:

Brack said:

Kinda like how the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver aren't mutants, or how they had to change The Ancient One and the Mandarin because of racial controversies, or how they toned down Tony Stark's alcoholic problem. These are little necessary compromises that do disappoint me, but over time, I've learned to just accept it, and accept the fact that the MCU would make even more necessary compromises for the good of building this universe. That would possibly mean a lot more changes from the comics, so I guess we should just prepare ourselves for more 'disappointments' to come.
    I wasn't so much saying it was a compromise from the comic, as it felt like a compromise from what the original plan would have been from the first Avengers film. Like someone somewhere got cold feet on the idea of everyone dying at the end of this film and so they had to tweak Thanos' motivations.

Similar to how Vision's characterisation here and in Civil War got a lot less interesting than whatever Age of Ultron had set him up for.
    edited May 2018
    Brack said:

Orius said:

Brack said:

I wasn't so much saying it was a compromise from the comic, as it felt like a compromise from what the original plan would have been from the first Avengers film. Like someone somewhere got cold feet on the idea of everyone dying at the end of this film and so they had to tweak Thanos' motivations.
    Yeah, 'cold feet' sounds about right. In hindsight, it does make sense when you put it that way, especially when you consider that the root of his motivation to wipe out only half the universe, the whole population crisis shtick, wasn't that big of a focus. It did feel like they threw in the motivation at the eleventh hour.
    The sequel should start with Thanos waking up and wondering why half the crops on his little farm disappeared.
    edited May 2018
    I don't buy the "too many characters" argument (i've seen this elsewhere as well). If there are too many characters then remove some of the ones that aren't important to a Thanos story. Death isn't one of those characters that you can leave out. Was there a particular need for the Wakanda scenes? For Spiderman even? I liked these things, but if we are scrapped for time, there's plenty to start pulling out.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Orius said:

mphil said:

Orius said:

mphil said:

To be fair, I did kinda want them to delve deeper into the very concept of "death" and why Thanos was attracted by the personification of it. It could have led to a far more deeper motivation dealing with nihilism and Thanos' obsession with it. That would have also been a lot more interesting than population crisis, a motivation that the Russos didn't seem that enthusiastic in exploring anyway.

But I did read that the reason they didn't do it was because Death is a metaphysical character, and the MCU just hasn't had the opportunity to explore that kind of character yet. With so many characters already crammed in Infinity War, I could see why they skipped on her. It's practical, and I can't argue with that. Look at what happened to DCEU when they ignored practicality, trying to cram as much content in as possible into BvS.
    They could’ve (and actually I was hoping) swapped Death for Hela.
    edited May 2018
    Matt said:

Orius said:

mphil said:

Orius said:

mphil said:

They could’ve (and actually I was hoping) swapped Death for Hela.
    I think that's a worse motivation than the current one. No offense. There were so many uninteresting things for me about Thor: Ragnarok, and Hela was one of the most boring ones.
    Orius said:

Brack said:

I wouldn’t say “compromises.” They swapped Tony’s alcoholism with his addiction to being Iron Man. They just shifted the issue, which fits more with this journey.

I’m actually glad they deviate from the source material to some extent. Not like Catwoman or Batman in BvS:DoJ deviation, but deviates by merging aspects & tweaking them.

One of my issues with Sin City was it’s a panel by panel interpretation.
    edited May 2018
    Matt said:

Orius said:

Brack said:

I wouldn’t say “compromises.” They swapped Tony’s alcoholism with his addiction to being Iron Man. They just shifted the issue, which fits more with this journey.
    Yeah, but an obsession with creating tin iron suits isn't exactly as relatable as being so pissed-drunk you throw away your entire life, and in RDJ's case, career. And on that point, it's also more fitting for RDJ to be the one to face his demons here in an aptly named "Demon in a Bottle" storyline.

I think Marvel's greatest strength in its comics is that it's always been able to tell relatable stories, stories that could touch on down-to-earth topics that affect people everyday. That's always been the defining trait that sets it apart from DC Comics. So it's a shame to see the MCU toss away a storyline like that when it exemplified the best of Marvel. Obsessing with building Iron Man suits just lacks the same impact. It's a waste of potential, and it was not the best that Marvel could do. Marvel is better than that, as it is the case with Black Panther, Winter Soldier, and Infinity War.

Also, I'm going to reiterate RDJ's participation in such a storyline. I think it could have been a very powerful symbol of one man's journey to overcome his demons and flaws, and RDJ would have been the perfect man to tell such a powerful story that could connect to audiences on a mass level. He's lived through those dark days, so he could have really become this role model, especially for kids who might be doing drugs or thinking of it.

I know that it might've been a challenging role for him to take on, psychologically speaking, and I don't blame him at all. This isn't about blaming him, so I hope you won't take it the wrong way. But it is a little disappointing we never got to see such a wonderful and amazing story come into light.
    edited May 2018
    Orius said:

Matt said:

Orius said:

Brack said:

Yeah, but an obsession with creating tin iron suits isn't exactly as relatable as being so pissed-drunk you throw away your entire life, and in RDJ's case, career. And on that point, it's also more fitting for RDJ to be the one to face his demons here in an aptly named "Demon in a Bottle" storyline.

I think Marvel's greatest strength in its comics is that it's always been able to tell relatable stories, stories that could touch on down-to-earth topics that affect people everyday. That's always been the defining trait that sets it apart from DC Comics. So it's a shame to see the MCU toss away a storyline like that when it exemplified the best of Marvel. Obsessing with building Iron Man suits just lacks the same impact. It's a waste of potential, and it was not the best that Marvel could do. Marvel is better than that, as it is the case with Black Panther, Winter Soldier, and Infinity War.

Also, I'm going to reiterate RDJ's participation in such a storyline. I think it could have been a very powerful symbol of one man's journey to overcome his demons and flaws, and RDJ would have been the perfect man to tell such a powerful story that could connect to audiences on a mass level. He's lived through those dark days, so he could have really become this role model, especially for kids who might be doing drugs or thinking of it.

I know that it might've been a challenging role for him to take on, psychologically speaking, and I don't blame him at all. This isn't about blaming him, so I hope you won't take it the wrong way. But it is a little disappointing we never got to see such a wonderful and amazing story come into light.
    Truthfully, I can relate to having an obsession with projects & work way before being an alcoholic. 10 out of 10 times, I know when I need to stop or not drink alcohol. 9 out of 10 times, my wife is inquiring when I’ll be done with work or projects to just relax.

I’ve read the “Demon in a Bottle” short story. I wouldn’t have mind some aspects, but I’m glad it wasn’t adapted. I think it’s kind of overrated. I expected something more when I read it. Interesting character flaw to add to a character, but a lot more brief then expected.
    Matt said:

Orius said:

Matt said:

Orius said:

Brack said:

Truthfully, I can relate to having an obsession with projects & work way before being an alcoholic. 10 out of 10 times, I know when I need to stop or not drink alcohol. 9 out of 10 times, my wife is inquiring when I’ll be done with work or projects to just relax.

I’ve read the “Demon in a Bottle” short story. I wouldn’t have mind some aspects, but I’m glad it wasn’t adapted. I think it’s kind of overrated. I expected something more when I read it. Interesting character flaw to add to a character, but a lot more brief then expected.
    Demon in the Bottle gets the credit for creating that aspect of Tony, but it's Denny O'Neil's later run that gave it more time to properly address it.

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    If "Demon in a Bottle" had been written today instead of when it was, it would have gone twelve issues. Different times.
    edited May 2018
    Matt said:

Orius said:

Matt said:

Orius said:

Brack said:

Yeah, but Civil War was overrated too, and the MCU turned it into something great. Feige could've done the same to Demon.

I haven't read Demon myself, by the way, but the concept of it sounds inspiring enough for me that I would be interested in seeing it adapted. Much like how Civil War was a good concept but poorly executed, and the Russos brought out everything good about the story onto the big screen.
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    As I've only seen the movie once (so far), questions keep popping into my head. Like this one: Do you think Shuri (Black Panther's sister) finished making the copy of Vision's infinity stone? It seemed like she did, but just didn't have time to exchange them. If so, can she just re-boot him in the next movie?
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Saw it again last night. Had heard if you see it 14 million times, there's 1 time where the ending will be different. Oh, well. I've got another 13,999,998 more viewings left, I guess.
    Orius said:

Matt said:

Orius said:

Matt said:

Orius said:

Brack said:

Yeah, but Civil War was overrated too, and the MCU turned it into something great. Feige could've done the same to Demon.

I haven't read Demon myself, by the way, but the concept of it sounds inspiring enough for me that I would be interested in seeing it adapted. Much like how Civil War was a good concept but poorly executed, and the Russos brought out everything good about the story onto the big screen.
    Eh. Once is a miniseries, the other is a single issue. Favreau stayed they were never going to go all in (maybe RDJ wasn’t interested in reliving his past), with a drunken armored Tony at his party.

I don’t recall Tony drinking alcohol after the few sips in Avengers.
    edited May 2018
    Matt said:

Orius said:

Matt said:

Orius said:

Matt said:

Orius said:

Brack said:

Eh. Once is a miniseries, the other is a single issue. Favreau stayed they were never going to go all in (maybe RDJ wasn’t interested in reliving his past), with a drunken armored Tony at his party.

I don’t recall Tony drinking alcohol after the few sips in Avengers.
    I knew that. I knew the story would never make it on-screen. It's never going to happen. This knowledge doesn't change the fact that I was disappointed though.
  • Matt said:

They did seem to make Banner the comic relief.

Yeah. Didn't work for me. I've never been impressed with him as an actor. I know I've seen things that he's been in, but he's never stood out to me.

I think he works well as Banner, because his face looks good on Hulk. Not trying to be insulting, but I love the way Hulk's face is a distorted version of his "unique" face.
  • Matt said:

Find out if you were spared or killed.

http://www.didthanoskill.me/

Like Destiny’s Child, I’m a survivor.

Same!
    Mesa toosa!
    Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:
    Wow:
    Most impressively, "Infinity War" nabbed the global record without the help of China, the world's second biggest movie market. The film opens there on May 11.
    For comparison: Justice League’s worldwide box office run netted almost $658 million.

Preview night & opening weekend puts Infinity War worldwide box office at $630 million. And those scattered popping sounds are the heads of DC hardo fanboys exploding.

I’m curious if there’ll be a second week massive drop off or if the movie has legs.

It’s now past both Iron Man 3:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/05/09/marvels-avengers-infinity-war-tops-iron-man-3-with-1-227b-global/amp/

And Avengers: Age of Ultron in under 12 days:

https://screenrant.com/avengers-infinity-war-age-of-ultron-box-office/amp/

Projected to beat the box office gross of The Dark Knight this weekend:

https://screenrant.com/avengers-infinity-war-box-office-dark-knight/amp/
    I’m still skeptical of it crossing $2 billion, but looks like it’s taking the superhero movie crown by the end of the weekend.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2018/05/11/avengers-infinity-war-tops-1-5-billion-as-biggest-superhero-film-in-history/amp/
  • MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    Man it's going to be rough for Ant and Wasp to follow up back to back Billion Dollar movies.
    All of my negative comments (including the one that will follow) are total nitpicks. I think this movie is great. I think this franchise is great.

So on to the nitpick. I feel like Marvel's strategy of adding new Avengers over time has led to me not caring about the newer characters as much. I think this is especially true of Vision and Wanda. They just haven't gotten enough screen time. I like them about as much as you can like a character that's had a handful of scenes over ~3 movies.