Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    mwhitt80 said:

Real talk on wolves not because of what you wrote, but because the mythology behind them fasinates me.

These creatures might be the scariest animal on the planet. They were the stuff of literal nightmares up until the last 200 years. Not just European stories, but everywhere.

We live in a mostly tamed world. Once though there was a reason to fear; there were real reasons in the not to distant past that they were hunted down.

I love wolves. Go watch a YouTube video with one right now.

I live in northern Minnesota and hear them howling some nights as I fall asleep. I also see them around where I work quite a bit.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    We get coyotes down here. Maybe not as fearsome as a wolf but still impressive if they get large enough.

And nary a roadrunner in sight (although I've seen them, too).
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Torchsong said:

We get coyotes down here. Maybe not as fearsome as a wolf but still impressive if they get large enough.

And nary a roadrunner in sight (although I've seen them, too).

We have coyotes in North Carolina too. They come into the cities from time to time. The problem is they look like small red wolves, which are endangered here. They've been trying to reestablish the population but people keep shooting them thinking they're low-down coyotes.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Coyotes.

Ughhh...
    I have problems with coyotes; I just paid a vet bill on cat because coyote got his leg.
  • Options
    BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    Congrats, @nweathington ! And how cool that you got to spend your Sunday with Lone Starr!
  • Options
    Thanks, Dave! MSU has a surprisingly strong film/theater department.
  • Options
    OriusOrius Posts: 188
    edited May 2018
    Not sure where to post this, but felt like sharing it, so here goes:
    Stumbled upon this in a MCU Captain America appreciation Reddit thread. It's moments like this that reminds me that he's more than just a flag-bearer, that he's more than just "laboratory experiment that comes from a bottle" (as Tony put it).
  • Options
    Saw no bears or wolves, but plenty of bison and elk. Got delayed by a rock slide on the way out of Yellowstone too. Gotta say, though, the most dangerous thing we came across was all the bison droppings on the lower parts of the trails.

And magpies are all over Bozeman. By far the most common bird we saw this past week.
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

Living in Denver, I get to see Cheech & Chong impersonators/tribute acts everyday.
    Are any of them intentional?
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I saw a psa about bear attacks yesterday on the Facebook.

When being attacked by a bear use pepper spray. An enraged bear is more likely to kill you quicker.

A slightly bitter but sarcastic bear will kill you slowly, but you will wish it was quicker.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Congrats to Shawna and Julie Benson on having "The 100" get renewed for season 6. Great show. Loving the time jump they did this year.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/07/the-100-season-6/

(cc: @Pants)
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    A compelling argument on what Marvel got right, and Warner Brothers didn't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9SK0Jhk7Pw
  • Options
    Orius said:

A compelling argument on what Marvel got right, and Warner Brothers didn't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9SK0Jhk7Pw

It's interesting that the video creator's premise is that the Marvel movies are character-driven, and the DC movies are plot-driven.

This is the exact same comparison made of the early Marvel comics vs. their DC counterparts at the time. Each Marvel character had a unique "voice" while the DC characters, in comparison, seemed bland and interchangeable.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Tonebone said:

Each Marvel character had a unique "voice" while the DC characters, in comparison, seemed bland and interchangeable.

Anyone who's not Batman anyway.
  • Options
    Orius said:

Tonebone said:

Each Marvel character had a unique "voice" while the DC characters, in comparison, seemed bland and interchangeable.

Batman was pretty interchangeable back then too.
  • Options

Saw no bears or wolves, but plenty of bison and elk. Got delayed by a rock slide on the way out of Yellowstone too. Gotta say, though, the most dangerous thing we came across was all the bison droppings on the lower parts of the trails.

And magpies are all over Bozeman. By far the most common bird we saw this past week.

Awesome glad you are back and had a good time with your son. I hope you get some rest this weekend.

We got back on Wednesday and I am worn slap out. I think I might try to go fishing this afternoon and swimming tomorrow
  • Options
    So I celebrated my 10th anniversary with my wife in April. I've always said I shouldn't talk about marriage advice until you're at least 10years in. I'm there now and open for questions.

Next I've always had a suspicion baby girls were really full grown women in diapers. As my daughter grows I'm beginning to know that it's true.

Sons are a different animal. At seven months he's turning into a little boy. one of the funniest things I've experienced was as dad was right after he started laughing he suprised himself with a fart (when you have babies you'll understand) and just started cracking up. He thought it was the funniest thing ever. fart jokes maybe low hanging comedy, but they are still fantastic when timed perfectly
  • Options
    A video essay on how we reflect on the quality of movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf5Im1GkltM
  • Options
    We read one page of the princess Bride tonight.

My daughter's least favorite character The Man in Black, whom she was positive was the Dread Pirate Roberts and killed her second favorite character Weasley, got pushed down a ravine.

She wouldn't let us continue once she realized what had happened; she was too excited.
  • Options
    BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    @Tonebone Congratulations man! Those DLC NextGen stills are gorgeous. Must be so much fun to create new content for such a legendary series from the past.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Looking at what tv shows were canceled this season made me realize how little network tv I watched this year.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I wrote an article about Captain America and Spider-Man's friendship in the comics, and my annoyance at how it didn't get reflected in Civil War:

https://www.sakugacity.com/ams/teamcap-a-reflection-on-the-friendship-of-spider-man-and-captain-america.155

Currently working on my next article, a review of "Ends of the Earth", comparing it to the flaws of Spider-Island.
  • Options
    Orius said:

Tonebone said:

Yeah.. I'm referring to the early 60's... reading JLA during those years, each character was pretty interchangeable. If you weren't looking at the pictures, you would have no idea who was saying what.

After the influence of Lee's Marvel work, you started to see characters have more... Character.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    DAR said:

Looking at what tv shows were canceled this season made me realize how little network tv I watched this year.

Right there with you.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Just seeing some reports that Margot Kidder has passed away.
  • Options
    DAR said:

Just popped in to talk about this.
    She was 69. I know that's not young, but it isn't old.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

DAR said:

Just popped in to talk about this.
    She was 69. I know that's not young, but it isn't old.
    No, it isn’t that old, but life expectancy for people with bipolar disorder is reduced by 9 to 20 years, so there you go. Dang, and I just drove through Livingston, where she lived, last week.
  • Options
    Sigh... what do you do when one of your favorite writers turns into a total irredeemable dick?

I'm done with Mark Waid. I'm disgusted I have so many of his books on my shelf.