Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Video Game Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I made one of those little troll things and got him to level 4(wow, I know, lol) and then made a..whatcha call it..Char? Cher? Whatever...big cats with horns..and I'm having fun with that.

I wasn't going to get this game until I watched an IGN review and saw some of the sites and was wowed by how beautiful it was.

Yup, trying to hit up all the vistas. Some are little more confusing to figure out than others but not too hard.
  • Options
    @Greg it's a lot different than GW1. What was it about GW1 that you didn't like?

@Mr_Cosmic The troll thing is an Asuran and they're fun to listen to if you find mind them being rude. The cat thing is a Charr and is going to be my next char. What class is your Charr?

Some of the vistas look like they can be hard but so far they're quite easy. You're most likely over thinking how to get them. What you will find hard are the jumping puzzles.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    @Justin_TheBuck - GW1 was my first try at an mmo, I started just a few weeks or so before Eye of the North launched. I wasn't sure what to expect. I don't want to say that it was the game itself. I found the questing enjoyable, the mechanics were fine, I had nothing to really compare GW to. I think it was more on the community, I didn't find it be very inviting and helpful, and that's a big part of playing an mmo. It may have been that I chose a couple of bad servers to play on.

I chose to try GW1 over WoW because it was free to play, I didn't want to play a game that had a subscription fee. It was the community I stepped into in GW1 that spurred me to try WoW, and right off the bat I landed into a helpful, family oriented guild and I never looked back. Nothing is going to take me away from WoW full time, but like I said, the Norn are looking mighty sexy the more I look into GW2.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    @Justin_TheBuck My Charr is a Warrior and the Asuran I started is an Engineer.

Yeah, the Asurans are funny. I've noticed that each one thinks it's the smartest person alive, lol.
  • Options
    Anybody other than myself here playing WoW? Whether you love 'em or hate 'em, we get those rolly polly pandas tomorrow. I'm more excited for the new Oriental themed lanscapes/zones than anything else.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Okay so the last video game I played was, I kid you not, Myst. but over the weekend (the lovely GF) Pennie picked up an X-Box 360 with the kinect and 2 games for $200. Which i thought was a crazy good deal. So...i picked up Arkham Asylum and have been getting Batman murdered repeatedly for the last two days. any tips or tricks for a non-gamer?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    For any fellow Blizzard fans. Announcements from Blizzcon so far:

Hearthstone will be available soon for Android devices.

Gnomes vs Goblins a 120 card expansion for Hearthstone
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YynnEkrUhDQ

Legacy of the Void, a stand alone expansion for StarCraft II. Story fouces on the Protoss.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUMSMDX5iQc

More characters have added to Heroes of the Storm

Nothing new announced for Diablo or World of Warcraft. Warlords of Draenor, WoW's next expansion goes live on 11/13.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLzhlsEFcVQ

Blizzard announced Overwatch a Team Fortress 2 style first person shooter with an anime flair. Has a variety of character classes. Going live soon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqnKB22pOC0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dushZybUYnM&src_vid=FqnKB22pOC0&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_724421063
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I kind of want to play DC Universe Online. I've had it on my PS3 downloaded for years, but never pressed start. What say you all?
  • Options

I kind of want to play DC Universe Online. I've had it on my PS3 downloaded for years, but never pressed start. What say you all?

It's fun leveling up your hero. Once you reach the level cap the armor grind begins..that's where I lost interest.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I was super-hyped for it when it was released, but had a hard time getting into it. I think the game is better suited for console rather than pc which is where I do all of my gaming.
  • Options
    Currently playing: Rocksmith on PS3, Minecraft Pocket Edition on Kindle Fire... both for the past year plus, and then just a week ago Star Wars Galactic Defense on KF.

Favorite classic games: Super Mario Bros, Zelda, Space Invaders, Breakout, Goldeneye

Looking forward to: the next Zelda on the Wii U
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Mr_Cosmic said:

It's fun leveling up your hero. Once you reach the level cap the armor grind begins..that's where I lost interest.
    And it's free now or something, right?
    Greg said:

I was super-hyped for it when it was released, but had a hard time getting into it. I think the game is better suited for console rather than pc which is where I do all of my gaming.
    Awesome, thank you.

By the way, hero, or villain?

And is having Speed any fun?
  • Options

Mr_Cosmic said:

And it's free now or something, right?
    Greg said:

Awesome, thank you.

By the way, hero, or villain?

And is having Speed any fun?
    Yeah, it's free to play. Not sure if the expansions/DLC cost anything extra.

I only tried out one character, hero with the Wonder Woman archetype.
  • Options
    I haven't played it since it went F2P but my experience with games that go that route is that you have access to the very basics and that's it. All the perks, cosmetics, bonuses etc are gone or heavily restricted. They make it nearly impossible to succeed without paying.

The game I'm loving right now is Destiny on the PS4.
  • Options
    If anyone here knows about Real Time Strategy games like Age of Empires...do you need a gaming PC to play them?
  • Options

If anyone here knows about Real Time Strategy games like Age of Empires...do you need a gaming PC to play them?

My son is into those. He's big on Rome II at the moment. Yeah, most of them are PC-only. You don't necessarily need a hot rod, but you'll want something more than your standard PC. If you go that route, you may want to check out Steam as a way to get the games and play with others online.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, it depends. Some RTS games are pretty basic while others, like StarCraft II, need a PC with a little power.

I second the Steam recommendation. They have just about any game worth playing and the PC requirements are usually listed clearly for each game.
  • Options
    If you missed the Kickstarter, the Battle Chasers video game is up for pre-order, releases in October(ish)

• Options
    if you're looking for some old school JRPG action, Battle Chasers went live on the 3rd and is really fun. Hoping to see some DLC's.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Greg said:

if you're looking for some old school JRPG action, Battle Chasers went live on the 3rd and is really fun. Hoping to see some DLC's.

It looks great!
  • Options
    OriusOrius Posts: 188
    Been playing Marvel's Future Fight recently. It's one of the many Marvel Free-to-Play mobile games - and like many of such games, it has so many hurdles you must jump through if you're not paying a penny for the micro-transactions. In comparison with other f2p games, it does fare better (especially with recent updates that provide f2p gamers with so many benefits and freebies), but man, I won't be a competent player due to such restrictions till at least after a month of playing. It's annoying. Feels more like babysitting than playing a game.

Oh well. That's the way f2p games go. Shame there just isn't any decent Marvel games out nowadays, save Spider-Man on the PS4, a console which I don't own... Sigh. Stupid exclusive.

Oh yeah, and be sure to look up that beginner's guide if you ever decided to play this. There are certain starter characters you have to pick from (especially Sharon Rogers, daughter of Steve Rogers) if you want to get a head start on being competent in combat. I made the mistake of just picking whomever I liked (Spidey) and ended up having to make a new account and restart the game from scratch.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Orius said:

Been playing Marvel's Future Fight recently. It's one of the many Marvel Free-to-Play mobile games - and like many of such games, it has so many hurdles you must jump through if you're not paying a penny for the micro-transactions. In comparison with other f2p games, it does fare better (especially with recent updates that provide f2p gamers with so many benefits and freebies), but man, I won't be a competent player due to such restrictions till at least after a month of playing. It's annoying. Feels more like babysitting than playing a game.

Oh well. That's the way f2p games go. Shame there just isn't any decent Marvel games out nowadays, save Spider-Man on the PS4, a console which I don't own... Sigh. Stupid exclusive.

Oh yeah, and be sure to look up that beginner's guide if you ever decided to play this. There are certain starter characters you have to pick from (especially Sharon Rogers, daughter of Steve Rogers) if you want to get a head start on being competent in combat. I made the mistake of just picking whomever I liked (Spidey) and ended up having to make a new account and restart the game from scratch.

Ever try the Marvel Lego games? If you're into Lego, great, but you don't have to be to enjoy the games. They're pretty light hearted but there are some pretty deep continuity references. If you're interested I'd definitely start with the first one as that has all the characters under the Fantastic Four and X-Men umbrellas(they're exluded from the sequels).

https://youtu.be/67RWEWEQPAg
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Came into a little pocket money and picked up a Switch. Really enjoying it...whatever you may think of Nintendo, I love how they keep finding innovative ways to keep me playing the same franchises! :D

Playing Dragon Quest Builders right now - it's Minecraft but with Akira Toriyama characters. Can't go wrong there! :)
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Orius said:

Ever try the Marvel Lego games? If you're into Lego, great, but you don't have to be to enjoy the games. They're pretty light hearted but there are some pretty deep continuity references. If you're interested I'd definitely start with the first one as that has all the characters under the Fantastic Four and X-Men umbrellas(they're exluded from the sequels).

https://youtu.be/67RWEWEQPAg
    I have had the Lego superhero games for a while but never really played them. Last weekend, I spent a few hours playing the first Marvel lego game for the PS4. Pretty enjoyable. Not really challenging (it is a lego game after all) but a nice fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon
  • Options
    The_PampThe_Pamp Posts: 11
    Spent the last week on God of War. It is phenomenal. Easily the most enjoyment I have gotten out of a video game in a long time. The story is immersive, the graphics gorgeous, and the game play is just right for a fan of that genre. Cannot recommend it enough.