Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    Tonebone said:

Sigh... what do you do when one of your favorite writers turns into a total irredeemable dick?

I'm done with Mark Waid. I'm disgusted I have so many of his books on my shelf.

Uh oh! May I ask what happened?
  • Options
    OriusOrius Posts: 188
    edited May 2018
    Tonebone said:

Sigh... what do you do when one of your favorite writers turns into a total irredeemable dick?

I found myself enjoying many of his stories, so I Googled his name (and Dan Slott) yesterday... only to find myself reading a SJW-related article about how Waid was running his mouth on Twitter, slamming pro-Trump supporters with f-bombs and other colorful expletives.

Sigh. It's tough to be a fan of Marvel and Spider-Man comics nowadays.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    1) As I understand it, Mark's not an employee of Marvel, but a contractor with them. Someone more in the know feel free to correct me on this one.

2) I really would like Mark to not like my new book. It could use the publicity. :D

3) Mark's always been fun to talk to when I've met him. It's not easy, and I can't always do it, but I try to separate art from artist when I can. There's a few total pricks whose work I won't support after meeting them, but the bar is pretty high for that one.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Torchsong said:

1) As I understand it, Mark's not an employee of Marvel, but a contractor with them. Someone more in the know feel free to correct me on this one.

Correct. But to most outside observers it equates to the same thing.
    Torchsong said:

2) I really would like Mark to not like my new book. It could use the publicity. :D

Meyer has definitely used Mark’s involvement as a marketing tool. But of course, outrage and insults are his biggest publicity tools.
    Torchsong said:

3) Mark's always been fun to talk to when I've met him. It's not easy, and I can't always do it, but I try to separate art from artist when I can. There's a few total pricks whose work I won't support after meeting them, but the bar is pretty high for that one.

Likewise. Luckily for me, the only total pricks in the industry I’ve come across personally—and there haven’t been many—are people whose work I never liked in the first place. I haven’t had to make that call yet, and hopefully I never will.
  • Options
    BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    Torchsong said:

It's not easy, and I can't always do it, but I try to separate art from artist when I can.

Yeah, this has become so much tougher to do in the age of social media, when we suddenly know so much (maybe too much) about everyone. Would artists like Shakespeare, Mozart and Cezanne be as revered if they created their works now - with social media reporting all of their opinions and missteps, and coloring our own takes on them and their work? I think social media and the internet in general have altered civilized society so dramatically in such a relatively short time, that we are still desperately, perhaps hopelessly, trying to adapt.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

Torchsong said:

It's not easy, and I can't always do it, but I try to separate art from artist when I can.

Yeah, this has become so much tougher to do in the age of social media, when we suddenly know so much (maybe too much) about everyone..
    That is the truth.
    I feel like companies and artists have to be more responsible, deliberate, and clear with thier message because of the platform is so much "louder".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2018
    Torchsong said:

According to Disney's work ethics policy, all Marvel freelancers and employees are Disney Cast Members and representatives of Disney in public appearances, social media, etc.

But, that aside, he is a representative of himself, and I can no longer tolerate him.

I am a conservative, and if I couldn't separate the beliefs of the creator and enjoy the creation, I would be left with virtually no comics, movies, tv, etc. to enjoy. I am quite accustomed to separating the two, and would never hold a person's political beliefs against them... if everyone was the same, what a boring world that would be. Creative people have differing beliefs, faults, problems, etc. I can deal with that.

I can separate them until the creator's behavior overshadows his work... then I'm out.
  • Options
    OriusOrius Posts: 188
    mwhitt80 said:

Torchsong said:

Yeah, this has become so much tougher to do in the age of social media, when we suddenly know so much (maybe too much) about everyone..
    That is the truth.
    I feel like companies and artists have to be more responsible, deliberate, and clear with thier message because of the platform is so much "louder".
    It becomes especially louder when you tell your readers to f*** off and never read your comics again (before blocking them) like a man-child because they don't agree with your political views.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    NBA Draft lotto is tonight.

I became a night in night out Hawks fan in 1999 which is why I despise the practice of tanking. Watching a bad team for multiple seasons be sucks. I promise watching a good team (that doesn't have championship talent) is much better.

Which brings me back to my first point. I really hope Atlanta wins the lotto and RIP coach bud I hope you land on a good team.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2018

Torchsong said:

Correct. But to most outside observers it equates to the same thing.
    Torchsong said:

Meyer has definitely used Mark’s involvement as a marketing tool. But of course, outrage and insults are his biggest publicity tools.
    I don't think Meyer asked Waid to involve himself in his project at any step in the process. He took it upon himself to interject himself by calling the publisher and express his altruistic "concern" in their publishing his book, achieving his ultimate goal of ruining their deal. What a great guy. He hates bullies.

I can't see a version of this event that seems to be a "marketing tool" in Meyer's favor... if it happened to anyone else, it would be seen as deplorable behavior. To claim it's favorable "marketing" is about as cynical as it gets.
  • Options

Tonebone said:

A lot of accusations are being thrown around by people who have exactly zero knowledge of what Mark actually said to the people at Antarctic Press. If people are pissed at Mark for things he’s actually said, that’s fine. Although it’s never been the case for me in my many interactions with Mark, I'm sure he comes across as a dick to many people. Mark has a temper and often says things he really shouldn’t. But I have no time for people who are calling for him to be fired from Marvel based on what they think (or assume or want to believe) he said.
    I don't think he should be fired from Marvel. But he (and possibly Marvel) should be held responsible LEGALLY for what he's done, by interfering in a legal contract between two other entities.

I don't know what he said to Antartic... Hmmmm... maybe he said "Guys, I'm proud of you for publishing a book from someone who had a differing opinion. Good job! I can't wait to buy it! Much success! Congratulations!"

Not sure that would make ME break a contract.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Tonebone said:

Tonebone said:

A lot of accusations are being thrown around by people who have exactly zero knowledge of what Mark actually said to the people at Antarctic Press. If people are pissed at Mark for things he’s actually said, that’s fine. Although it’s never been the case for me in my many interactions with Mark, I'm sure he comes across as a dick to many people. Mark has a temper and often says things he really shouldn’t. But I have no time for people who are calling for him to be fired from Marvel based on what they think (or assume or want to believe) he said.
    I don't think he should be fired from Marvel. But he (and possibly Marvel) should be held responsible LEGALLY for what he's done, by interfering in a legal contract between two other entities.
    I'm not sure how marvel would be involved, unless Mark was talking at their behest. As pointed out he's an independent contractor (there are very important and legal distinctions between a contractor and employee). Now let's say he is currently in editorial/office position of a comics company then things could get fun.

It's a crazy story without lawsuits. Add an ugly lawsuit and that's how stories become comic book legends.

• Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Tonebone said:

Tonebone said:

I'm not sure how marvel would be involved, unless Mark was talking on at their behest. As pointed out he's an independent contractor (there are very important and legal distinctions between a contractor and employee). Now let's say he is currently in editorial/office position of a comics company then things could get fun.

It's a crazy story without lawsuits. Add an ugly lawsuit and that's how stories become comic book legends.

Actually, I wasn't talking about a lawsuit. There are very strict laws about interfering as a third party between two parties entered into a contract. I'm talking about breaking federal trade laws.
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

I don't think Meyer asked Waid to involve himself in his project at any step in the process.

No, Meyer certainly didn’t ask, but he most definitely took the ball he was handed and ran with it. And given his track record, it will be something he uses in his publicity for years to come. That’s all I was pointing out.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Tonebone said:

I can't see a version of this event that seems to be a "marketing tool" in Meyer's favor... if it happened to anyone else, it would be seen as deplorable behavior. To claim it's favorable "marketing" is about as cynical as it gets.

It’s not going to help him expand into a broader audience, that’s true. But it will strengthen his bond with his current audience, and make them more likely to keep supporting his product and to encourage their friends to do the same.
  • Options
    CGSCGS Posts: 5
    edited May 2018
    This conversation will now come to an end. Any further discussion on the particular subject after this post - in this thread or any other - will be removed. Please return to the Random topic nature of this thread.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Blue is my favorite color. Specifically azure blue.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    For what are myths if not the imposing of order on phenomena that do not possess order in themselves? And all myths, however they differ from philosophical systems and scientific theories, share this with them, that they negate the principle of randomness in the world.

Stanislaw Lem
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited May 2018

I think you are not really giving royal blue its due. I would like to see your rakings of the different blues in the blue shared universe.
  • Options
    Personally, I've always thought that Corwyn was completely overrated. His youngest brother was absolutely the coolest of the Nine Princes.
  • Options
    Does w
    CGS said:

This conversation will now come to an end. Any further discussion on the particular subject after this post - in this thread or any other - will be removed. Please return to the Random topic nature of this thread.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums!
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Personally, I've always thought that Corwyn was completely overrated. His youngest brother was absolutely the coolest of the Nine Princes.

Man I am so lost with that comment
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

hauberk said:

Man I am so lost with that comment
    Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber. Youngest of the Princes is named Random.
  • Options

I think you are not really giving royal blue its due. I would like to see your rakings of the different blues in the blue shared universe.
    Royal blue isn’t all that. Personally speaking, it's one of the more boring blues. It can’t decide if it wants to be a vibrant blue, or a deep blue, and so it has no real personality. Give me a cerulean blue, an aquamarine, or a midnight blue over royal blue anyday.
  • Options
    I made burritos for dinner tonight. Cerulean burritos.
  • Options
    If you need to roll dice, but find that you have none, but do have web access, might I suggest https://www.random.org/integers/
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I became a night in night out Hawks fan in 1999 which is why I despise the practice of tanking. Watching a bad team for multiple seasons be sucks. I promise watching a good team (that doesn't have championship talent) is much better.

Which brings me back to my first point. I really hope Atlanta wins the lotto and RIP coach bud I hope you land on a good team.

Hawks got pick #3
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

mwhitt80 said:

Hawks got pick #3
    The only #3 I'm worried about tonight is Game #3 of the Caps/Bolts series.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    On this day in 1963, Gordon Cooper was launched into space aboard Faith 7. Faith 7 was the capstone of Project Mercury, the NASA program that put the first American into space in 1961 and the first astronaut into orbit in 1962. Cooper completed 22 orbits of the earth and spent 34 hours in space. He was the first American astronaut to spend more than a day in space.