Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Solo: A Star Wars Story (Spoilers-- Seen it? Discuss it here)

Comments

• VertighostVertighost Posts: 335
    I'm surprised no one has commented yet. I wonder if this bodes badly for the film (my 7pm Thursday nite NYC showing was much less full than I expected).

For me, most of it felt like the spin-off it is, but more like a straight-to-DVD animated one that hits the required notes, but never in a memorable way. For example, nothing new's added to Han's relationship w/ Lando; it just recycles what's come before. Comedy would've helped but the jokes fell flat (esp all that stuff with the activist droid. It was so bad that when Lando was sobbing over it, I felt no emotion and could only think "Poor Donald Glover. This looks ridiculous." The comedy fell so flat for me that I was shocked to see Kasdan's name on this by the end. Throughout the film I imagined this was primarily the handiwork of the Lego Movie guys since it all felt geared solely to children. I felt the spirit of Jar Jar in those jokes.

Still, Alden grew on me as the film went on and I came to really like him as Han. Bettany was brilliant and showed he can make even a 1-dimensional villain compelling. I also liked that Qira's objectives remain unclear until the very end. I expected her to die at the end as well so it was great that she stuck around and I hope they never kill her off since it's not what anyone would expect. Disney also needs to start cultivating new characters if this franchise is going to be able to do more than continue to leave the nest of the original trilogy and its characters. (Whether the polarizing Rian Johnson can turn his new franchise into a success with his "screw everything that came before" approach remains to be seen. I for one, can't abide the idea of people acquiring Jedi abilities just because.... no reason.)

For Solo I thought the last 15 minutes somewhat saved the film by finally delivering some real surprises with all the double crosses while creating an extremely intriguing setup for sequels. I also really liked that this particular tale wasn't technically finished by the end and they're actually giving Han his own 3 part (presumably) tale. There are plenty if threads to follow that need have nothing to do with the original trilogy.
    I meant to write "...do more than continue to live in the nest of the original..."
  • HexHex Posts: 944
    I thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't wait to watch it again.

Yeah, I said it.
    Screw you haters, Solo is Star Wars to the core. I don't understand how anyone who likes Star Wars wouldn't like Solo.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Did the movie not do well because of itself, Star Wars fatigue, or other choices?

I’ll admit, I haven’t been able to get to the theatre since preview night for Infinity War. I’m creating a windows to go next weekend, but I’m looking to get another showing of IW in. I’m going to try and get another window created soon thereafter for Deadpool 2. I can guarantee I’ll see Solo in theatres. Depending on its legs, I’m not certain I’ll get to see it before Ant-man & Wasp.

Aside bar, Donald Glover is one of those celebrities people swoon over that I just don’t get (not to the levels of Dane Cook, though). Having said, the scenes for Solo I’ve seen, he’s stealing the movie. It’s a waste if there isn’t a Lando movie.
  • HexHex Posts: 944
    edited May 2018
    Matt said:

Aside bar, Donald Glover is one of those celebrities people swoon over that I just don’t get (not to the levels of Dane Cook, though). Having said, the scenes for Solo I’ve seen, he’s stealing the movie. It’s a waste if there isn’t a Lando movie.

Glover was Perfect. His Lando is dialled in. Even though he certainly looks the part, close your eyes while he is delivering lines, and you could swear it was Billy Dee on screen.

I would recommend catching Solo over Deadpool 2 (although I feel D2 is definitely worth shelling out cash to see in the theatre).
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Hex said:

Matt said:

Glover was Perfect. His Lando is dialled in. Even though he certainly looks the part, close your eyes while he is delivering lines, and you could swear it was Billy Dee on screen.

I would recommend catching Solo over Deadpool 2 (although I feel D2 is definitely worth shelling out cash to see in the theatre).
    My wife isn’t interested in seeing Solo. If we create a window for date night, it’ll be Deadpool 2.
    I loooove Star Wars and didn't care for most of Solo. Different strokes, Hex...

Matt, I agree about Glover. I do find he's a bit overrated. I also agree that he does a great Lando impression. My only problem with it is that it didn't seem to rise to anything more than an impression. Of course this is more the script's fault. (I should point out that there's one part where one could argue we see a new side to Lando, however, I thought it was a very silly scene which had the exact opposite effect the filmmakers intended on me. I'll say no more.)

• DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. I expected it to be barely okay, but I ended up having a lot of fun.

this was when I still had moviepass!