Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    A little more Sam Keith
  • Options
    @nweathington did you know mark Shultz was working on a new xenozoic graphic novel?
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    mwhitt80 said:

@nweathington did you know mark Shultz was working on a new xenozoic graphic novel?

Yeah. He's been working on it for a while now.
  • Options
    My first introduction to the property was Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. I loved that cartoon.

Then I picked up the Flesk reprint a few years ago. It blew me away. I was so mad when it ended on a cliff hanger. The man can draw, and the story was really good.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

My first introduction to the property was Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. I loved that cartoon.

Then I picked up the Flesk reprint a few years ago. It blew me away. I was so mad when it ended on a cliff hanger. The man can draw, and the story was really good.

I’d read the original Kitchen Sink collections by the time the cartoon came on. I was working at the comic shop when the show started. Have you ever heard the soundtrack album? It’s a rockabilly thing, and it’s not half bad. The C&D candy bars were really tasty too. We sold those at the shop.

• Options
    I have not and did not know that the candy bars existed. I even googled the candy bars and you can still buy the wrappers
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    mwhitt80 said:

I have not and did not know that the candy bars existed. I even googled the candy bars and you can still buy the wrappers

I didn’t keep any of the wrappers. I did run some original art Mark did for the wrappers in the Modern Masters book I did on him. For the chocolate rice crisp bar, he drew rice plants in one corner. Likewise, for the chocolate with almonds, he drew the branches of an almond tree in one corner. Subtle touches that most people didn’t even notice, but it’s that kind of attention to detail that’s part of what makes Mark such a great artist.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

mwhitt80 said:

I didn’t keep any of the wrappers. I did run some original art Mark did for the wrappers in the Modern Masters book I did on him. For the chocolate rice crisp bar, he drew rices plants in one corner. Likewise, for the chocolate with almonds, he drew the branches of an almond tree in one corner. Subtle touches that most people didn’t even notice, but it’s that kind of attention to detail that’s part of what makes Mark such a great artist.
    I too recall selling (and eating far too many of) those bars.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

I too recall selling (and eating far too many of) those bars.

They were hard to resist at the end of a long shift. Saturdays were the worst because I opened, and didn’t get off until 2, so I was ready for lunch long before my shift ended.
  • Options
    Just bought the last CD from Amazon. Guess who is going to have a fun reading experience in June?
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Just bought the last CD from Amazon. Guess who is going to have a fun reading experience in June?

Um... you?
  • Options
    Heck no. I can't read.
  • Options
    So yesterday was my birthday my wife got me the The Scrooge Mystery duckumentary (she had some early rewards to give me) and Norse gods playing cards. It was fun.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

So yesterday was my birthday my wife got me the The Scrooge Mystery duckumentary (she had some early rewards to give me) and Norse gods playing cards. It was fun.

Happy birthday, once removed! My birthday was last week.

So is Odin the king or the ace (you know, because he has one eye)?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Well happy belated birthday to you. Did you get anything good?

These are actually Ragnarok cards so the aces are all scenes from the story of Ragnarok. The red suits are all Norse gods and black suits are all monsters. They are nicely done.
    Thor - K H
    Odin - K D
    Jormungand - K C
    Debris - K S
  • Options
    That’s cool. I got John Cleese’s autobiography, and a few little things. My wife and I don't make too big a deal over our birthdays. We save that for the kids. Besides, I get birthday presents pretty much every Wednesday.
  • Options
    OriusOrius Posts: 188
    So I have a bad cold today. Lightheadedness. Itchy eyes. Think my right eye might have turned red from all that rubbing. The price I pay for blasting that A/C at night without covering myself with that blanket properly.

But a clip on YouTube did cheer me up a little. Spider-Man (the guy who has spider-sense) needed Iceman to save him from a car (going at maybe 20km/h) that was supposedly going to run into him (at the 6 minute mark of the video).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjC8zWgGDFM
    I love how he's just sitting there chilling waiting for Iceman to come to his rescue.

'80s cartoons. Never change.
  • Options
    Orius said:

So I have a bad cold today. Lightheadedness. Itchy eyes. Think my right eye might have turned red from all that rubbing. The price I pay for blasting that A/C at night without covering myself with that blanket properly.

But a clip on YouTube did cheer me up a little. Spider-Man (the guy who has spider-sense) needed Iceman to save him from a car (going at maybe 20km/h) that was supposedly going to run into him (at the 6 minute mark of the video).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjC8zWgGDFM
    I love how he's just sitting there chilling waiting for Iceman to come to his rescue.

'80s cartoons. Never change.

I must have seen Conjunction Junction a billion times... but never ever noticed that the OR car was literally an ORE car.
  • Options
    So, here in NC, I have been hearing radio ads for a NC Symphony performance that will feature Superhero Music... from your favorite movies including "Superman, Batman, and Spider-Girl!"

Spider-Girl???

Meanwhile, here's the song program...
    John Williams: Summon the Heroes
    Alan Silvestri: Captain America, The First Avenger
    Alan Silvestri: The Avengers: Main Theme
    John Powell: X-Men: The Last Stand
    John Ottman: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer Suite
    Rossini: Finale from William Tell Overture
    Korngold: Robin Hood and His Merry Men from The Adventures of Robin Hood
    Goldsmith: Supergirl Suite: End Titles
    Horner: To the Rescue from The Rocketeer
    Wagner: The Ride of the Valkyries from Die Walküre
    Danny Elfman: Batman Theme
    Danny Elfman: Spider-Man
    Michael Giacchino: Music from The Incredibles
    John Williams: Love Theme from Superman
    Hans Zimmer: Man of Steel Suite
    I find the commercial infuriating.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Sam's new mystery project...
    I'm excited
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Sam's new mystery project...
    I'm excited

Cool. Doesn’t look all that mysterious though. ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I know. :)
    But I think Sam Keith may have been teasing us by calling it a mystery project.
  • Options
    @nweathington are you getting excited about the Caps?
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I'm taking it one game at a time. We can't get ahead of ourselves. We need to stay in the moment. We've done a good job of that all year, and we need to keep that focus. The last game is always the hardest one to win, so we need to pay attention to the details, keep it simple, and stick to the game plan.
  • Options
    Hahahaha thanks coach.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552

mwhitt80 said:

I'm taking it one game at a time. We can't get ahead of ourselves. We need to stay in the moment. We've done a good job of that all year, and we need to keep that focus. The last game is always the hardest one to win, so we need to pay attention to the details, keep it simple, and stick to the game plan.
    I would like to add, "Win the battles in the corners", "not grip the stick to tight" and something something something "organization" something something.
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

mwhitt80 said:

I would like to add, "Win the battles in the corners", "not grip the stick to tight" and something something something "organization" something something.
    Really, we just need to play our game. If we play within the system and do all the little things we need to do, the rest will take care of itself.

Seriously, though, it does look like Vegas is running out of gas. They’ve beaten teams through hard work and playing simple, hard-nosed hockey. But now they’ve come up against a team that is working just as hard as them and with a higher level of skill. Last night Vegas was looking just like how the Caps looked three or four years ago—frustrated, a little panicky at times, letting no-calls get under their skin, etc. Vegas can win the next game if they score early and get some of their confidence back, but I think the Caps will more than likely close it out on Thursday.

That being said, while I get pretty pumped up during the games, I’m honestly not thinking too much about the Cup yet.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    This just in...Vegas hired the Hanson brothers for the next game.

No, not the musical group. Shame on you for thinking that. :D
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Vegas hired the Hanson brothers for the next game.

They already have the Hanson brothers. His name is Ryan Reaves.