Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• OriusOrius Posts: 188
    edited June 2018
    (cont'd from previous post)
    Stories need to be more than just awesome moments. In an insightful conversation between Bobbie O'Steen and Sam O'Steen (editor of "The Graduate and Chinatown), they said that a director must not be too attached to a moment or scene. The movie must come first, scene second, moment third. That is the order of importance for everything. Everything has to be justified in terms of how it serves the movie. A similar ideal could be applied to comics. The overarching story within the story arc (or in SSM's case, within the series) you are telling must come first, the individual issues second, and the moments third. Every issue should ideally be justified in terms of how it serves the overall story - or better yet, how it serves the legacy of Spider-Man and his theme of power and responsibility.

What was SpOck's lesson in responsibility? His responsibility was absolved the moment Smythe mended those wounds he inflicted with a dumb comic book plot device, because the lasting consequence of his actions were softened or even nullified entirely. He learned nothing about police brutality or spying on people, and absolutely nothing about using such power responsibly. Neither did the readers. All he learned was that he should have upgraded his software so as to not allow future villains to hack his bots again; that's it. That in no way serves the greater theme of Spider-Man on "with great power," and it's incredibly ironic that both police brutality and mass surveillance have such close relations to abuse of power, but Slott never bothered to explore them to their full extent.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Man, the World Cup has had a crazy start. So many upsets.
    Argentina finds a way to make it through group play, and Germany finds a way to get ousted. Crazy stuff.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I think the last three WC, the defending champion hasn't made it past the group stage
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    We finished season one of American Gods (Netflix DVD). I really liked it; I think it's going to be a good adaptation of the book
    DAR said:

I think the last three WC, the defending champion hasn't made it past the group stage

Four out of the last five is what I heard today.
    mwhitt80 said:

We finished season one of American Gods (Netflix DVD). I really liked it; I think it's going to be a good adaptation of the book

I watched the first five episodes as they were aired. Then I missed one because of travel, and I never got around to trying to catch up. There were things about it I liked a lot, and things I didn't really care for. At this point I'm much more looking forward to Good Omens than to going back to American Gods.
    Having to buy sunglasses is a pain in the rear.
    edited June 2018
    It's about a week old now, but I just learned what the new Maxx project is Batman vs. Maxx
    mwhitt80 said:

It's about a week old now, but I just learned what the new Maxx project is Batman vs. Maxx

Yeah, I saw this a couple of days ago. Not as excited now.
    I'm with you about the project. I was hoping for something else
    In West Virginia for the week on vacation. Tomorrow we are visiting my grandmother for the day. She lives right outside of Pittsburgh.
    Wow! Belgium v. Japan is probably the best game I’ve seen so far this World Cup. Great match!
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    No Twilight Zone marathon on Sci/Fi tomorrow. Booooooo.
    F#$*! Chrysler. We are borrowing my mom's 2016 town and country and transmission went out this morning in WV.
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    DAR said:

No Twilight Zone marathon on Sci/Fi tomorrow. Booooooo.

Decades ran a TZ marathon.
    I've inherited a black Stetson from the 90s (I think) in really good shape. Does anyone here have any idea where to start getting info on the hat? The interwebs has been a little too much information to figure out.
    mwhitt80 said:

I've inherited a black Stetson from the 90s (I think) in really good shape. Does anyone here have any idea where to start getting info on the hat? The interwebs has been a little too much information to figure out.

There should be a small label/tag inside the hat that could give you a number. The tag might be tucked behind the inside band.
    It's Monday, and the van won't be ready until Thursday. However I am leaving the wife and kids tomorrow to get back to work by Thursday.
    It's been a long week.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    mwhitt80 said:

It's Monday, and the van won't be ready until Thursday. However I am leaving the wife and kids tomorrow to get back to work by Thursday.
    It's been a long week.

Ugh. That sounds like a lot. Especially when that was supposed to just be a one day side trip.
    edited July 2018
    I'm at work. Got in safely last night a little after midnight. Lots of deer last night and few during the day. So if you are on the road be careful.

Next up: looking over the dcbs order, I'm going to save you guys some money don't buy the Complete Darkhold collection from Marvel. It's not good on any level
    Odds and ends, plus weird fishing news.

I think I am going to get the DC implosion book from twomorrows.
    The van's new transmission was to be installed yesterday so my wife and kids could be heading home right now, but the mechanic had to go to the hospital yesterday. So maybe after lunch today?
    I've been reading lots of big boy books and almost no funny books.

In weird fishing news
    This is iCast week, the big retailer trade show that has turned into the comicon for fishing nerds. I'm not sure I've seen anything that I really love yet; last year had a cool paddle board (bote Rover) and the concept z reel (which I bought and really like).
    mwhitt80 said:

I've been reading lots of big boy books and almost no funny books.

Why not do both at once?

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    mwhitt80 said:

In weird fishing news
    This is iCast week, the big retailer trade show that has turned into the comicon for fishing nerds.

How's the cosplay?
    edited July 2018
    David_D said:

mwhitt80 said:

In weird fishing news
    This is iCast week, the big retailer trade show that has turned into the comicon for fishing nerds.

How's the cosplay?
    Between the rubber boots, neoprene, ropes, and waders you kinda feel like it could be the weirdo section of adult sites. You can't tell if the dude next to you is the Gimp or just another scuba diver.
    mwhitt80 said:

David_D said:

mwhitt80 said:

In weird fishing news

How's the cosplay?
    Between the rubber boots, neoprene, ropes, and waders you kinda feel like it could be the weirdo section of adult sites. You can't tell if the dude next to you is the Gimp or just another scuba diver.
    Well played!
    edited July 2018
    Tried to look at some prime day deals and the site was uncooperative. So I picked up a fire stick for $20.00 and gave up. Maybe next year.

Barnes and Noble is running a sale buy two marvel or viz trades get 3rd for free. Also you can add a 10% off code to the deals.

Don't forget this week is Chris Makepeace Day so go enjoy a classic film from his cannon or give the Elder a listen.
    edited July 2018
    Now that cbr is dead, what's the place to sdcc "news"?