Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Orius said:

Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 1 #9
    Release Date: August 1977
    Pencils and Inks: George Perez
    Colors: Phil Rachelson
    Writer: Bill Mantlo

Another great example of the "Spectacular" title differentiating itself from "Amazing" with its bigger focus on gritty social issues.

Frank Giacoia inks.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited July 2018
    Orius said:

Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 1 #9
    Release Date: August 1977
    Pencils: George Perez
    Inks: Frank Giacoia
    Colors: Phil Rachelson
    Writer: Bill Mantlo

Another great example of the "Spectacular" title differentiating itself from "Amazing" with its bigger focus on gritty social issues.

And a reminder that Marvel trying to plug into or at least reference the politics of the time is far from a recent phenomena, despite what some have asserted in recent years.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Interesting how in the upper corner it’s spelled as Spiderman instead of Spider-Man. My guess is it’s just a spacing issue
  • OriusOrius Posts: 188
    The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 Annual 1998
    Release Date: July 1998
    Pencils and Inks: Trevor Von Eeden
    Colors: Mike Rockwitz

I'm sure I'd have gotten the credits wrong here again. lol Go ahead, @nweathington, correct me. :tongue:
    Orius said:

The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 Annual 1998
    Release Date: July 1998
    Pencils and Inks: Trevor Von Eeden
    Colors: Mike Rockwitz

I'm sure I'd have gotten the credits wrong here again. lol Go ahead, @nweathington, correct me. :tongue:

Nope, it all checks out. ;)
    edited July 2018
    The Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1. #15
    Release Date: August 1964
    Pencils and Inks: Motherf***ing Ditko, doh
    Colors: Stan Goldberg

And lo, the birth of another classic villain.

Kraven was always one of my favorite Spidey villains, since his motivation was unique and interesting. He doesn't want money or power, but hunts for sport like a freaking Predator (the alien, not the pedophile).
    Orius said:

The Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1. #15
    Release Date: August 1964
    Pencils and Inks: Motherf***ing Ditko, doh
    Colors: ???

And lo, the birth of another classic villain.

Kraven was always one of my favorite Spidey villains, since his motivation was unique and interesting. He doesn't want money or power, but hunts for sport like a freaking Predator (the alien, not the pedophile).

Color by Stan Goldberg. He colored all the books during the first couple of years.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    Today I start a new series of covers. In the early 90s you were not a real marvel book unless you had a crossover with the punisher and ghost Rider. The johnny blaze series ends in 1983 and no one cares. Then in 1990 Howard Mackie and Mark Texeira introduce the world to Danny Ketch. The oversaturation begins.

edited July 2018
    mwhitt80 said:

Today I start a new series of covers. In the early 90s you were not a real marvel book unless you had a crossover with the punisher and ghost Rider. The johnny blaze series ends in 1983 and no one cares. Then in 1990 Howard Mackie and Mark Texeira introduce the world to Danny Ketch. The oversaturation begins.

Texeira started out on the book as just the inker over Javier Saltares (who penciled and inked the cover here). Texeira did some of the penciling in issue #4, then took over with the next issue. Personally, I preferred Saltares’ work to Texeira, though a case could certainly be made that Texeira’s work fit the character better.
    edited July 2018
    Yeah I didn't research that cover, but ive always liked the cover for issue one though

We've got lots of artists doing ghost Rider covers coming up. It should be a fun few days with good, bad, and interesting takes of a cool looking character.
    Saltares and Texeira were kind of at the opposite ends of the spectrum. Saltares was very precise and open with fine, clean lines, while Texeira was very brushy with lots of blacks all over the place. Normally I prefer a looser, brushier style, but with Texeira, sometimes there was too much black in the linework for me.
    Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 1 #105
    Release Date: August 1985
    Pencils: Tom Morgan
    Inks: Brett Breeding
    Colors: Bob Sharen

An appropriate cover to coincide with the release of the latest MCU film.
    edited July 2018
    Orius said:

Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 1 #105
    Release Date: August 1985
    Pencils: Tom Morgan
    Inks: Brett Breeding

An appropriate cover to coincide with the release of the latest MCU film.

I always liked that cover . I was a wee lad but for whatever reason I remember it.
    So for the record my earliest memories involve NWA/Jim Crockett wrestling and comic books.
    edited July 2018
    Tonight's entry: the first appearance of cosmic ghost Rider. Guardians of the Galaxy (1990) #13 by Jim Valentino with inks by Steve Montano
    The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #175
    Release Date: December 1977
    Pencils: Ross Andru
    Colors: Irv Watanabe
    Orius said:

Man... that is a LOT of cover dialogue. What, J. Jonah doesn't get a thought in??
    David_D said:

Orius said:

Man... that is a LOT of cover dialogue. What, J. Jonah doesn't get a thought in??
    What J.J.J. was thinking wasn't suitable for young readers. ;)
    The Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 1 #209
    Release Date: February 1994
    Pencils and Inks: Sal Buscema
    The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #439
    Release Date: September 1998
    Pencils: Rafael Kayanan
    Inks: Bud LaRosa
    Orius said:

The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #439
    Release Date: September 1998
    Pencils: Rafael Kayanan
    Inks: Bud LaRosa

I think that cover copy could use even more fonts.
    edited July 2018
    It's been a few days, but I have not forgotten about you. Tonight we jump to Fantastic Four #348 long time forum members may know FF #347-349 contains one of my favorite silly marvel creations The New Fantastic Four! created by Walt Simonson and drawn by Art Adams. Cover by Art Adams and inks by Art Thibert.
    I love the gimmick, but look at the title and issue box. It lets you know this is for fun. Plus Art was put on the Earth to draw the hulk
    Every few years a reference to this story pops up in FF because our intrepid heroes consider themselves members of the FF (even if Reed, Sue, Johnny, and Ben don't).
    Lobo's first appearance.
    He's not the main man yet, that happens in the mini series; right now he's a bounty Hunter in a clown suit. Later in Omega men you get a little backstory on Lobo as he plays a more featured role.
    edited July 2018
    Today the Rider blazes back. After a 93 issue run Danny Ketch comes to an end and with the exception of 6 issue mini Ghost Rider disappears once more from marvel continuity. In comes Garth Ennis and volume 3 in 2005.
    This is a cover to restart a character; the Rider looks badass. This particular cover image is actually the hardcover, but is also the cover from issue #1
    Cover by Clayton Crain.
    @nweathington can you give me some info on Crain?
    mwhitt80 said:

Today the Rider blazes back. After a 93 issue run Danny Ketch comes to an end and with the exception of 6 issue mini Ghost Rider disappears once more from marvel continuity. In comes Garth Ennis and volume 3 in 2002.
    This is a cover to restart a character; the Rider looks badass. This particular cover image is actually the hardcover, but is also the cover from issue #1
    Cover by Clayton Crain.
    @nweathington can you give me some info on Crain?

He broke in during the late ’90s with Acclaim, doing cover and interior pencilling work, but that didn’t last long. He did stuff for McFarlane after that, along with some of those Image KISS comics, before settling in at Top Cow around 2000. He started doing digital painting at Marvel in 2004 (which he does start to finish, not over other pencillers), and worked pretty steadily for them for several years. These days he works for Valiant and Marvel, still doing the digital art thing—mostly darker titles like Punisher or Venom. In other words, he mostly works on books I have little interest in reading. The guy has talent and skill, but I can’t say I’m really a fan of his work. Not really my cuppa.