Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736

A sneaky-good series.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608

mwhitt80 said:

Today the Rider blazes back. After a 93 issue run Danny Ketch comes to an end and with the exception of 6 issue mini Ghost Rider disappears once more from marvel continuity. In comes Garth Ennis and volume 3 in 2002.
    This is a cover to restart a character; the Rider looks badass. This particular cover image is actually the hardcover, but is also the cover from issue #1
    Cover by Clayton Crain.
    @nweathington can you give me some info on Crain?

He broke in during the late ’90s with Acclaim, doing cover and interior pencilling work, but that didn’t last long. He did stuff for McFarlane after that, along with some of those Image KISS comics, before settling in at Top Cow around 2000. He started doing digital painting at Marvel in 2004 (which he does start to finish, not over other pencillers), and worked pretty steadily for them for several years. These days he works for Valiant and Marvel, still doing the digital art thing—mostly darker titles like Punisher or Venom. In other words, he mostly works on books I have little interest in reading. The guy has talent and skill, but I can’t say I’m really a fan of his work. Not really my cuppa.
    That explains why I don't know much about him. I know I have seen his stuff in image KISS comics, but I couldn't say it stood out to me. Heck I can't even remember the art in GR Damnation Road except the covers; those were pretty rad.
  • OriusOrius Posts: 188
    The Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1. #35
    Release Date: April 1966
    Pencils and Inks: Steve Ditko
    Colors: Stan Goldberg

Today sees the second appearance of the Molten Man (after ASM #28). Al Sjoerdsma of Spiderfan.org describes this cover best, so I'll let him take it away:

"Why does Steve bring back the Molten Man only seven issues after his original appearance in ASM #28, September 1965 when so many better known villains have had longer waits? It sure isn't because Stan asked him to, if Stan's future use (or non-use) of the character is any indication. My guess is because Steve just finds him so cool to draw.

There is something about the Molten Man that seemed to inspire Steve Ditko. The cover of ASM #28 is arguably the best in the history of Amazing Spider-Man. (It's certainly my favorite.) This cover is one of the top ones, too. In a predominantly green room, the golden Molten Man runs right toward us while bathed in the white light of the spider-signal. At first glance it may look like Spidey is held up by puppet strings but those are actually speed lines, letting us know that the web-slinger is running full tilt away from us and at the Molten Man. And whereas Molty has one leg bent at the knee in the process of running, Spidey is moving so quickly that he is hovering a few feet off the ground. Down at the bottom is the intriguing title of the issue: "The Molten Man Regrets...!" So what does the Molten Man regret? That he went back to crime? That he took Spidey on again? That Stan won't use him again after Ditko is gone? Or is it like refusing a party invitation? "The Molten Man regrets that he is unable to attend the next issue due to being thrown back in jail." There is an old Cole Porter song called "Miss Otis Regrets" but I can't really see what that would have to do with this story. Whatever the meaning, it sure doesn't sound good for ol' Molty. But then we don't read these stories without knowing that the villains are probably going to lose, do we?"
    Orius said:

The Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1. #35
    Release Date: April 1966
    Pencils and Inks: Steve Ditko
    Colors: Stan Goldberg

Today sees the second appearance of the Molten Man (after ASM #28). Al Sjoerdsma of Spiderfan.org describes this cover best, so I'll let him take it away:

"Why does Steve bring back the Molten Man only seven issues after his original appearance in ASM #28, September 1965 when so many better known villains have had longer waits? It sure isn't because Stan asked him to, if Stan's future use (or non-use) of the character is any indication. My guess is because Steve just finds him so cool to draw.

There is something about the Molten Man that seemed to inspire Steve Ditko. The cover of ASM #28 is arguably the best in the history of Amazing Spider-Man. (It's certainly my favorite.) This cover is one of the top ones, too. In a predominantly green room, the golden Molten Man runs right toward us while bathed in the white light of the spider-signal. At first glance it may look like Spidey is held up by puppet strings but those are actually speed lines, letting us know that the web-slinger is running full tilt away from us and at the Molten Man. And whereas Molty has one leg bent at the knee in the process of running, Spidey is moving so quickly that he is hovering a few feet off the ground. Down at the bottom is the intriguing title of the issue: "The Molten Man Regrets...!" So what does the Molten Man regret? That he went back to crime? That he took Spidey on again? That Stan won't use him again after Ditko is gone? Or is it like refusing a party invitation? "The Molten Man regrets that he is unable to attend the next issue due to being thrown back in jail." There is an old Cole Porter song called "Miss Otis Regrets" but I can't really see what that would have to do with this story. Whatever the meaning, it sure doesn't sound good for ol' Molty. But then we don't read these stories without knowing that the villains are probably going to lose, do we?"

I have a hard time believing Ditko found Molten Man “cool to draw”. By this point, Ditko was seemingly already heading for the door, as indicated by the lackluster story (what there is of it), and Ditko’s less intensive interior inking.

It’s far from one of my favorite Amazing Spider-Man covers. It’s not even one of my favorite Ditko covers. But to each their own.
    Today’s entry from the DC cover-a-day calendar: Justice League of America #12 (June 1962), penciled and inked by Murphy Anderson, featuring the first appearance of Dr. Light. Remember when Dr. Light was a legitimate threat to the JLA? That’s okay, neither do I.

edited July 2018
    Web of Spider-Man Vol. 2 #5
    Publish Date: April 2010
    Pencils, Inks and Colors: Jelena Djurdjevic
    Orius said:

Web of Spider-Man Vol. 2 #5
    Publish Date: April 2010
    Pencils and Inks: Jelena Djurdjevic
    Colors: Chris Sotomayor

Cover colored by Djurdjevic. Sotomayor did interior colors only.
    Spider-Man/Doctor Octopus: Year One #2
    Release Date: August 2004
    Pencils, Inks, and Colors: Kaare Andrews

AKA "Doctor Octopus Begins". Someone get Christopher Nolan on this.
    On this day in 1967, Sgt. Kirk #1 was released in Italy. It was a magazine featuring the comics (and cover art) of the great Italian artist Hugo Pratt—some also written by Pratt, and some written by the noted Argentinian writer Héctor Germán Oesterheld. The book is mostly remembered as being the first appearance of Pratt/Oesterheld’s classic series Corto Maltese.

What If? Vol. 2 #31
    Release Date: November 1991
    Pencils: Scott McDaniel
    Inks: Bob McLeod
    Colors: Tom Vincent
    Spider-Man 2099 Vol. 1 #45
    Publish Date: July 1996
    Pencils: Rick Leonardi
    Inks: Scott Hanna
    Colors: Christie Scheele
    Spider-Man: Friends and Enemies #3
    Release Date: March, 1995
    Pencils: Ron Lim
    Inks: Mark McKenna
    Colors: Mike Rockwitz
    edited July 2018
    The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #223
    Release Date: December, 1981
    Pencils: John Romita Jr.
    Inks: Al Milgrom
    Colors: Glynis Wein
    edited July 2018
    Orius said:

The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 #223
    Release Date: December, 1981
    Pencils and Inks: John Romita Jr.
    Colors: Glynis Wein

John did not ink this cover. He rarely inks his work, and he never inked his work during the time period of this cover. Also, his inks don't look like the inks here. And if you look at the signature, it says, "JR JR +", the "+" meaning there's an inker involved whose name was covered up by the barcode box. Al Milgrom thinks he inked this cover, but isn't sure. That seems reasonable, since he also inked the interiors and it looks close enough to his inking style. Could be Frank Giacoia though.

Pencils by Gene Colan (obviously), inks by the aforementioned Frank Giacoia, and color by Stan Goldberg.
    edited July 2018
    Web of Spider-Man Vol. 1 #89
    Release Date: June, 1992
    Pencils: Alex Saviuk
    Inks: Bob McLeod

I see someone named "McLeck" under Saviuk's name. I'm guessing that's the inker?
    Orius said:

Web of Spider-Man Vol. 1 #89
    Release Date: June, 1992
    Cover Artist: Alex Saviuk

I see someone named "McLeck" under Saviuk's name. I'm guessing that's the inker?

That's Bob McLeod, and yes, he's the inker.

Pencils by the ever-present (in the '70s at DC) Ernie Chan, inks by Vince Colletta.
    Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 1 #127
    Release Date: June, 1987
    Pencils, Inks, and Colors: Al Milgrom

Now there's a fantastic cover. Great use of Spidey's black suit blending to the background.
  • PeterPeter Posts: 470
    It took me way too long to get my hands on a copy of Little Shop. Beyond just the Colan artwork, a definite must have for my collection. :blush:
    Spider-Man Vol. 1 #60
    Release Date: July, 1995
    Pencils: Tom Lyle
    Inks: Scott Hanna?
    Colors: Kevin Tinsley
    The Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 1 #158
    Release Date: December, 1989
    Pencils: Sal Buscema
    Inks: Mike Esposito
    Colors: Bob Sharen