Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1706 Talkback - Spotlight on the Hulk in the Silver Age

Adam_MurdoughAdam_Murdough Posts: 506
edited July 2018 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
We're turning green (well, first gray, then green) with excitement to bring you this look at the beginnings of the greatest 'man vs. self' conflict dynamic in all of comics: scientist Bruce Banner... and the Incredible Hulk! It's a rampage through the first seven years of the Hulk's adventures, introducing his supporting cast, his most significant foes, his nigh-limitless might, and his increasingly fractured psyche, brought to you by comics scholar Gamma Cum Laude Chris Eberle and lowly lab-tech Adam Murdough. Go Go Go HULK! (2:05:58)

Listen here, puny humans!

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Yes! Time to get to listening.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Haven't listened yet so maybe this is mentioned in the episode, but if not, are there are collections that people recommend that cover the time period discussed? Almost every single time I listen to a Spotlight I wind up buying a collection :blush:
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Hulk begins his stress-induced transformations with his first appearance in Tales to Astonish (#60). I have to believe the change in the transformation process was Ditko’s idea. In Kirby’s last issue (Incredible Hulk #4), the transformation is triggered by some machinery Banner was working on. In issue #6 (Ditko’s second issue) the machine stops working properly, setting up Banner’s realization in TTA #60 that it was stress that changed him all along.
  • Options
    mphil said:

Haven't listened yet so maybe this is mentioned in the episode, but if not, are there are collections that people recommend that cover the time period discussed? Almost every single time I listen to a Spotlight I wind up buying a collection :blush:

mphil, the Marvel Masterworks collections are probably your best bet for Silver Age Hulk. If memoey serves, Marvel did an Epic collection of the early stories as well.
  • Options

Hulk begins his stress-induced transformations with his first appearance in Tales to Astonish (#60). I have to believe the change in the transformation process was Ditko’s idea. In Kirby’s last issue (Incredible Hulk #4), the transformation is triggered by some machinery Banner was working on. In issue #6 (Ditko’s second issue) the machine stops working properly, setting up Banner’s realization in TTA #60 that it was stress that changed him all along.

Where Weathington treads, clarity and insight follow in his wake...
  • Options

Where Weathington treads, clarity and insight follow in his wake...
    You're too kind, sir.
  • Options
    A quick search shows that the Missing Link did indeed appear in ROM #29.
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    edited August 2018
    @Adam_Murdough The Incredible Hercules series was co-written by regular Hulk scribe Greg Park, and Fred Van Lente.

As for the Mayor's Trophy that @wildpigcomics asked about, this was an exhibition game put on annually between the Mets and Yankees, long before Interleague Play existed and this became an in-season occurrence. It originated in 1946 as a game between the Yankees and Giants to promote the Amateur Baseball Association, but switched to the Yankees taking on the Mets after the Giants moved to San Francisco. And thanks to the Baseball Reference site, we even know the exact date in 1968 this issue took place!
    Shea Stadium, May 27. Mets beat Yankees 4-3 as Don Bosch hit a ball that turned into a triple as it bounced over Bill Robinson’s head in the eighth inning. The crowd was 35,198. WP: Bill Short. LP: Dooley Womack.
    The Mayor's Trophy was retired in 1983. Is it a coincidence that I was then born in 1984? More than likely.

Job well done as always, gentlemen! Whenever I see a Spotlight pop on my feed it is an immediate listen.

And remember, in Soviet Russia, puny humans SMASH YOU!!!
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I've been meaning to go back and read some Silver Age Hulk for the first time. This will be some great supplemental material
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    mphil said:

You have a few cheap options @mphil
    Incredible Hulk Man or Monster Epic Collection

Essential Incredible Hulk volume 1 & volume 2 these are large black and white reprints.

• Options
    I did notice Comixology does have the first volume of the Masterworks available to borrow.
  • Options
    Comixology. That is probably the best way.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Great show, gentlemen. I loved the knowledge and the infectious enthusiasm.

I, too, remember when Mister Rogers visited the set. If I am remembering right, I was already watching and in love with the Hulk TV show, and when that happened on Mister Rogers, which I guess I was young enough to still be watching, too, I COULD NOT BELIEVE MY LUCK. It was like that was my new shared universe.
  • Options
    Finally finished. Terrific work as usual from Chris and Adam. I toast you gentleman with my Hulk pint glass my dear sister bought for me a few years ago

• Options
    The triumphant return of the Spotlight episode! Thanks so much to Chris and Adam for their excellent overview of the Silver Age Hulk! Your preparation and amazing rapport are so appreciated, especially when lavished upon an old favorite like the Hulk.

Hoping for a few more Spotlight episodes for 2018.
  • Options
    ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    edited August 2018
    Excellent work, as always. Fortunately, I've read most of this in Essential collections, so for once you haven't sent me to the back issue bins!
  • Options
    Wahoo!! Another Marvel Spotlight episode! My personal favorite! Thank you!! And now, at the risk of sounding like a spoiled, self-absorbed ingrate...are you guys going to continue with the Incredible Hulk...or resume Iron Man and/or Thor that you started many moons ago? You know what my vote is: complete all three titles, please! (Of course, ignoring my vote is recommended because I am, after all, little more than a spoiled, self-absorbed ingrate). Seriously, thank you both. I know these episodes are a LOT more work than simply getting together for a "comic talk," and we really appreciate them!