Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Venom | Movie News

2»

Comments

• MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Matt said:

I put Venom in the same category as Hush & Bane; great for a story arc, but outlived their usefulness. They just never get presented as interesting or as much a threat as the initial appearance.

Yep. Though I didn't find Hush or Bane all that interesting in and of themselves, but rather in how they affected Batman’s psyche. Venom, at least, had that as well as being somewhat interesting as an individual concept.
    I would agree with that for Hush & Bane. It was more of how they fit the particular story arc that made them interesting then the characters themselves (though I think the Hush storyline is overrated & Knightfall triology is one of my Top 10 Batman stories).

I actually thought at the end of Maximum Carnage Venom should’ve sacrificed itself and end the whole symbiote thing.
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    If I didn’t have moviepass, I wouldn’t see this thing in theatres.
  • jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I'm not interested in this. That doesn't mean I think it's going to be ba but I've never been all that interested in Venom as a solo character for a movie. I suppose they needed a way to get Eddie into the costume without Spider-Man and I suppose they found a way but I'm not sure this is interesting to me. I hope it works and I hope people enjoy it but I'm just not excited about this movie.
  • OriusOrius Posts: 188
    edited May 2018
    Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

I said this somewhere else but I prefer the terrifying Spider-Man villain to the crime fighting anti-hero.

I actually prefer the symbiote to Venom. Those issues with Parker fighting against the symbiote were awesome. Though I did like in one early fight, Pete stripped off his suit & basically said “if you want me, here I am.” Then the symbiote began to leave Brock for him. I thought it was cool it wanted to really be with Parker.

I put Venom in the same category as Hush & Bane; great for a story arc, but outlived their usefulness. They just never get presented as interesting or as much a threat as the initial appearance.
    I feel like Venom's parallel with Peter is its strength though, which is why this movie seems like such a very bad idea. The most interesting thing I felt about Venom is the way it mirrors Peter's way of handling power and responsibility - especially when you take into consideration the later result of Eddie ending up with cancer because of the symbiote. Peter's choices left him with many deaths because of his enemies, but he didn't let those deaths define him and went on a path of vengeance, whereas Eddie chose the opposite. Like many of Spidey's villains, he looked to someone to blame and ended up letting that hatred poisoning him - literally, in this case, almost killing him - before he redeems himself as Anti-Venom.

Without Spider-Man to play off that parallel, you only have some average anti-hero who has to face his inner demons, and how original is that?
  • CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited May 2018
    I've got a question now that Infinity War is out...

.....freakin nevermind. I'll just ask it in the Infinity War thread. Remember when we had easy to use spoiler or hidden text options?
    After watching the most recent trailer from today, I’m no more interested in seeing this movie. I hope it does well, but it just isn’t getting any of my cash or time.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    That last trailer was both gloriously awful and awfully glorious
  • MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    I thought it looked cool, I actually had no idea that it was Eddie Brock. And I had no idea that there was other named Symbiotes other then Venom and Carnage.
    In Lethal Protector, which this is pulling from, I believe there were 5 “offsprings” forcibly extracted from the symbiote. The Carnage offspring (and I think there’s been another within the last couple years) was a “natural birth.”
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Matt said:

In Lethal Protector, which this is pulling from, I believe there were 5 “offsprings” forcibly extracted from the symbiote. The Carnage offspring (and I think there’s been another within the last couple years) was a “natural birth.”

The latest issue of Venom offers a unified origin for all the symbiotes to date. Cates does a good job of allowing everything to fit into his new retcon without changing anything that's happened.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Had a chance to watch it this past Tuesday with the wife and kids. I really enjoyed it. What worked for my son and me was the banter between Eddie and the symbiote. It seemed like a buddy cop movie.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Watching this was like watching a basketball team that's not very good. But they have one player who averages 30 points and makes some spectacular plays, so you're kind of entertained for a bit.
  • I found it watchable enough but that's about it. I found it hard to feel anything was at stake when it's a virtually indestructible, impossibly elastic and fluid entity that can go anywhere often fighting men with guns. Also, I haven't read many Venom stories, but I thought Brock was far less flawed than I expected. From the little I had read of him (years ago) I got the impression he was a much more troubled (and far more interesting) character in the comics, but perhaps I'm mistaken. It's made $213 million in the US and Canada (that seems small), but over 600 million overseas so a sequel's probably guaranteed. I had no idea he was so popular overseas.
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Watched it on demand last weekend. I’m still in complete confused awe over the praise and hype. This is one of those... extreme cases where, I don’t wanna be a “hater” or a dick etc, but I’m so sincerely baffled by the disconnect I can’t help but question out loud what why how can anyone say they “loved” it? Or describe it using words like “amazing, Fantastic, Incredible”!? How has this movie made so much money and received such positive reaction and word? And among venom / comic fans? I just don’t get it.