Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

RIP Steve Ditko

Comments

• Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    Interesting video blog/tribute to Steve Ditko. Personally, I thought his work suffered greatly when he became so focused on Objectivism. The Blue Beetle stuff was pretty good... but I think the market place basically made its statement about his work post-Marvel. We all wanted to see him return to that early ASM/Doctor Strange style, but it was gone because of his push to press his personal philosophy into his work.

I'm not sure that Mr. A is necessarily a hero, but rather an anti-hero. Watching the video blog and the fine explanation of Mr. A made me wonder what Ditko would have done with someone like the Punisher.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    And part of what made his Marvel work so well is that inherent friction between him and Lee's right-on hucksterism.

Sometimes when you've got creators pulling in opposite directions you get something better than if they were on the same page. It's just rarely sustainable in the long run.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited July 2018
    Matt said:

We’ve derailed this this to initiate a sequel to the MoS thread, but is the notion here if a superman appeared, we’d just embrace him/her?

So, how about the Beatles? Or would you rather talk about Batman? ;)
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    People often confusion cynicism for realism. They are not the same. What Snyder presented in MoS was a cynical view of the origin of Superman, but that doesn't make it any more realistic than the version from the golden age.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    mphil said:

People often confusion cynicism for realism. They are not the same. What Snyder presented in MoS was a cynical view of the origin of Superman, but that doesn't make it any more realistic than the version from the golden age.

I’m not sure when your GPS coordinates are, but the US is so divisive right now, it’s pretty cynical.

I wouldn’t say it’s any more realistic then the golden age, but I’d say it’s more the modern take. Maybe it should’ve been more a reflection of what we need to be then we are, but I’m not certain it would’ve been embraced either.
  • Options

Matt said:

We’ve derailed this this to initiate a sequel to the MoS thread, but is the notion here if a superman appeared, we’d just embrace him/her?

Muppet Babies. I’d like to unload how tired I am of my kids wanting to rewatch the same 8 episodes from Disney Jr. over & over again.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Matt said:

Muppet Babies. I’d like to unload how tired I am of my kids wanting to rewatch the same 8 episodes from Disney Jr. over & over again.
    That’s what kids do, man. I remember my son obsessing over The Jungle Book. It was basically on constant loop (if not for the limitations of VHS technology) for several months. Before that it was Winnie the Pooh. For my daughter it was Blue’s Clues.
  • Options
    Matt said:

mphil said:

I’m not sure when your GPS coordinates are, but the US is so divisive right now, it’s pretty cynical.
    That's exactly why cynicism in art is so ineffective today. It works well when, like in the 80s with Moore & co., there's a blanket over everyone's eyes. But we live in an era where cynicism is the default viewpoint.

And if you want to get down to it, is there more of a reason to be cynical today than there was in 1938? You remember what was happening 1938, right? But Siegel and Shuster decided to write a character that embodied hope.

That's why we're talking about them today, 80 years later, and Snyder will be forgotten in the dustbin of history.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Matt said:

Matt said:

I know!!

I also downloaded the album from Spotify that has been played in the car a thousand times. Our youngest can’t believe her luck. But as she keeps pointing out, that Rubber Chicken Tree song that is on the album hasn’t been in the 8 episodes yet. What, are they waiting for sweeps week??
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Thank goodness for Netflix, Amazon & Kaboom. We go through phases, and since she doesn't watch a lot of TV we can limit the rewatching.
    Tumble Leaf, Roadrunner cartoons, the Jetsons, Minnie's Boutique, Reading Rainbow

Right now it's Magic School Bus & Peg+Cat (which is a fun show that uses lots of math and music)

Banned Shows
    Muppet Babies
    Bubble Guppies
    Baby Looney tunes
  • Options

Matt said:

Matt said:

That’s what kids do, man. I remember my son obsessing over The Jungle Book. It was basically on constant loop (if not for the limitations of VHS technology) for several months. Before that it was Winnie the Pooh. For my daughter it was Blue’s Clues.
    I can take those. I hate the muppets.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Thank goodness for Netflix, Amazon & Kaboom. We go through phases, and since she doesn't watch a lot of TV we can limit the rewatching.
    Tumble Leaf, Roadrunner cartoons, the Jetsons, Minnie's Boutique, Reading Rainbow

Right now it's Magic School Bus & Peg+Cat (which is a fun show that uses lots of math and music)

Banned Shows
    Muppet Babies
    Bubble Guppies
    Baby Looney tunes

Muppet Babies, Peppa Pig, Powerpuff Girls, & now Teen Titans Go are basically what’s keeping the minions under control. Since I don’t watch TV, it’s basically the only shows I watch too. I tried broadening the list to the greats of my day, but no luck.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Matt said:

Teen Titans Go.

Ha... my daughter turned 10 last Friday. Teen Titans Go (to the movies) was mandatory birthday viewing.
    Got to admit... I laughed out loud... a lot.

Also... I wonder what Ditko thought of Teen Titans Go?
  • Options
    Matt said:

Muppet Babies isn’t really Muppets as far as I'm concerned. I'm just going to overlook your hatred of the Muppets. :neutral:
    Matt said:

Powerpuff Girls

Classic PPG or new flavor PPG? The old stuff is really fun. The new show, not so much.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    mphil said:

Matt said:

mphil said:

That's exactly why cynicism in art is so ineffective today. It works well when, like in the 80s with Moore & co., there's a blanket over everyone's eyes. But we live in an era where cynicism is the default viewpoint.

And if you want to get down to it, is there more of a reason to be cynical today than there was in 1938? You remember what was happening 1938, right? But Siegel and Shuster decided to write a character that embodied hope.

That's why we're talking about them today, 80 years later, and Snyder will be forgotten in the dustbin of history.
    It makes sense for the setting. I’d argue MCU Cap is written like how Kent should be. Especially in Winter Soldier & Civil War. The difference is he’s a man out of time & Kent was raised contemporary.

People circle back to Jonathan’s bus speech. I believe people misinterpret the speech. The reason Jonathan “I don’t know, maybe” was because he didn’t know the answer that would keep his son safe. It was about realizing the weight on Kent’s shoulder’s and what every decision he makes could do.

For example, Gunn, Hader, & Newcomb are all victims of tweets from years ago biting their asses today. I’d use those as examples for my kids that everything you do could have repercussions, even if it’s years later.

Now, I know tweets & a bus full of drowning kids aren’t the same, so here’s something I’m working on that’s closer.

I’m investigating an assault at a preschool where a teaching assistant assaulted a teacher. There were 3 witnesses, one of which was a male staff member. Those 3 watched the assistant beat the teacher, who wasn’t fighting back. She got into the fetal position to protect herself. The male staff member told me he was thinking about what his limitations were with intervening. Since it was 2 females, would he be exposed for sexual assault as well? The other 2 staff members were trying to weigh how much effort should be put in removing the 20 kids verses helping the teacher.

Ultimately, the teacher is holding a grudge against her coworkers for not helping her. She’s also looking to sue the school for her beating.

The 3 staff members realized their actions/inactions have a rippling effect. All have been reassessing their decisions, but they can’t go back and redo it.

You can look at law enforcement and see how scrutized they get for their actions (Who watches the Watchmen? Everyone.) How have their actions been reassessed because someone with a camera phone gets out of context video & suddenly the mob wants a blue head on a stick?
  • Options

Matt said:

Muppet Babies isn’t really Muppets as far as I'm concerned. I'm just going to overlook your hatred of the Muppets. :neutral:
    Matt said:

Powerpuff Girls

Classic PPG or new flavor PPG? The old stuff is really fun. The new show, not so much.
    My general hatred of them breaks @Adam_Murdough heart too.

Fi prefers the newer stuff, but judging by the voices & animation style, I think the saved stuff on our Direct TV includes the older stuff too. I never watched them, so it’s just a deduction on my part.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Matt said:

mwhitt80 said:

Banned Shows
    Muppet Babies
    Bubble Guppies
    Baby Looney tunes

Muppet Babies, Peppa Pig, Powerpuff Girls, & now Teen Titans Go are basically what’s keeping the minions under control. Since I don’t watch TV, it’s basically the only shows I watch too. I tried broadening the list to the greats of my day, but no luck.
    Peppa Pig I forgot that one. She was the first on the banned list
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I think Steve Ditko would have loved this thread.
  • Options
    @Matt Jonathan Kent's story arc in MoS is essentially:

1. He's an overprotective dad.
    2. He discourages Clark from using his powers to help others.
    3. He discourages Clark from leaving Smallville.
    4. Clark resents him, and says "You're not my father, you're just some guy who found me in a field"
    5. Jonathan dies sacrificing himself so that Clark doesn't expose his powers.

You can point to any of the above and say that there are good reasons for it to happen, or say it makes sense in context. But these are the things that Snyder choose to focus on. He could have focused on other, positive interactions between the father and son. He could have made different choices to any of the above that would have still made sense in context.

But he didn't, he choose these things. And he choose the only somewhat loving moment between the characters to be the moment in which Jonathan dies. This is what a cynical artist does.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Matt said:

mwhitt80 said:

Banned Shows
    Muppet Babies
    Bubble Guppies
    Baby Looney tunes

Peppa Pig I forgot that one. She was the first on the banned list
    It’s the only time I hate hearing a British accent. I’d rather hear a shitty attempt at the accent then hear those pigs. I do like Pedro Pony, though.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Hex said:

Matt said:

Teen Titans Go.

Ha... my daughter turned 10 last Friday. Teen Titans Go (to the movies) was mandatory birthday viewing.
    Got to admit... I laughed out loud... a lot.

Also... I wonder what Ditko thought of Teen Titans Go?
    I'm going to guess he'd not be a fan.

For a start none of them have masks that hide their faces entirely. And Deathstroke, the one guy from Teen Titans who does, is barely in it. And the episode you thought he was going to be in was about clowns!

Plus they've had multiple episodes mocking libertarians. He'd probably not be a fan of that either.
  • Options
    mphil said:

4. Clark resents him, and says "You're not my father, you're just some guy who found me in a field"

You can point to any of the above and say that there are good reasons for it to happen, or say it makes sense in context. But these are the things that Snyder choose to focus on. He could have focused on other, positive interactions between the father and son. He could have made different choices to any of the above that would have still made sense in context.

But he didn't, he choose these things. And he choose the only somewhat loving moment between the characters to be the moment in which Jonathan dies. This is what a cynical artist does.

Sounds like Goyer, Nolan (who both crafted the story & screenplay), & Snyder decided to illustrate the burden of being a ‘superman’.

Aside from #4, do you think some parents of a son or daughter who wants to enlist in the armed forces haven’t done the same? I was just listening to someone today who admitted when his son decided at 17 he wanted to be a marine, he spent 18 months trying to dissuade his son from doing so. Then spent another year coming to accept that’s what his son decided to be.

As for #5, I’d be more leery of a father (or mother) who wouldn’t sacrifice himself (or herself) to protect his (/her) children.

Smallville had the benefit (though I’d argue to it’s detriment) 22 episodes & several seasons to flesh out the same type of moments between Jonathan & Clark. They were also capable of injecting happier moments too. MoS just focused on an aspect.
  • Options
    Hex said:

I'll also echo the comment that Ditko was one of the earliest styles I could identify as a kid. Some of it I didn't much care for, some of it I LOVED. It just depended on the tone of the characters he was doing... I was always disappointed when Steve was on Micronauts, but adore his Doctor Strange.

Yeah... LOVED Micronauts, and loved Ditko... did NOT love Ditko on Micronauts.
  • Options

True, but what I meant was the "grown up" adult Superman (the one we first meet working on the oil rig if I'm remembering correctly) should be a villain or a much bigger jerk than he is, given the only things Snyder shows us of his childhood/growing up (everyone except his parents is horrible to him) and the lesson the Kents repeatedly teach him: "humans are such horrible creatures that you'd be better off letting your own father die, rather than risk letting these monsters know what you are".

Why someone who'd spent the first 18 years of his life learning to dislike and fear humans on such a profound level from the only 2 people who ever loved and cared for him would then become a hero who would make it his life's mission to constantly go around saving humans remains MoS's unanswerable question IMO. Having his biological father show up once he's grown up and tell him that he should disregard everything his true parents and life experiences ever taught him and that his mission in life is to go around saving them because eventually you'll realize how awesome they really are (even though Jor-El has exactly zero experience living with humans) does not come anywhere near explaining the 180 degree change for me. I understand there are others who are fine with this explanation.

IMO Snyder and the screenwriters created an utterly botched attempt at "realism" - they gave us a more "realistic" origin, but conveniently decided to ignore "realism" whenever they needed to. As a result, many viewers -fans included - thought that the filmmakers "did not know what to do with" the superman character or "couldn't get a handle on him". IMO a lot of these problems begin with the giant disconnect between everything we see young Clark learn and everything we see grown up Superman do. All of this could have been avoided if they'd stuck closer to the original version of the Kents. There is nothing unrealistic about the lessons Glenn Ford teaches Christopher Reeve in the 1978 Superman film (that teen version of Clark didn't have an easy time of it either) and I see nothing more "realistic" about teaching your super son that "yeah you may want to let a bus full of kids die".

Again, this is all just my opinion. I understand you and others may disagree, but for me both MoS and Bats vs Supes are not just "not great" or "not a masterpiece" but badly written, especially in terms of characterization and the choices the writers made for the characters. (I need never see Jesse Eisenberg have to channel Heath Ledger's manic anything-goes energy as the Joker in order to play deliberate and calculating genius Lex Luthor again.)

I think the downfall of Snyder's version, ultimately, is he tried to change Superman just enough to fit into our world... whereas Donner changed the world just enough for Superman to exist in it.

He realized that Superman (who at the time had only been around for 40 years!!!) was too big of an idea to bend to the whims of a mere mortal director.

I agree one hundred percent with what you wrote above. As a matter of fact the Jonathan Kent/Clark Kent relationship is really the heart and soul of Supes' character. Jonathan's midwestern values and humility are the reason Clark is not a spoiled, apathetic loner. It's his example that drives Kal El to strive to become a member of the human race, not just an observer.

Superman is one of the greatest characters ever created in the history of fiction. 80% of the time he is misrepresented by those who write him... Man of Steel is a great example of that.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Probably not. But Superman would embrace us, regardless of our response to him. If the world's perception of him would change how he is, he's a pretty weak character.
  • Options
    Matt said:

mwhitt80 said:

Banned Shows
    Muppet Babies
    Bubble Guppies
    Baby Looney tunes

Ugh.. Teen Titans Go.

I'm so glad my kids are older. They watch the original Teen Titans show, quite a lot.
  • Options
    Matt said:

mphil said:

Sounds like Goyer, Nolan (who both crafted the story & screenplay), & Snyder decided to illustrate the burden of being a ‘superman’.

Aside from #4, do you think some parents of a son or daughter who wants to enlist in the armed forces haven’t done the same? I was just listening to someone today who admitted when his son decided at 17 he wanted to be a marine, he spent 18 months trying to dissuade his son from doing so. Then spent another year coming to accept that’s what his son decided to be.

As for #5, I’d be more leery of a father (or mother) who wouldn’t sacrifice himself (or herself) to protect his (/her) children.

Smallville had the benefit (though I’d argue to it’s detriment) 22 episodes & several seasons to flesh out the same type of moments between Jonathan & Clark. They were also capable of injecting happier moments too. MoS just focused on an aspect.
    First of all, he didn't sacrifice himself. He let himself passively get sucked into a tornado in a scene so chaotic Clark could have easily saved him.

Second, sure it focuses on "an aspect"... but a screenwriter and director chose what aspect to focus on, and chose the wrong one. That's called bad writing. Also, the ending... another bad choice/bad writing.
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

Matt said:

Probably not. But Superman would embrace us, regardless of our response to him. If the world's perception of him would change how he is, he's a pretty weak character.
    He did embrace “us” in MoS.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Tonebone said:

Matt said:

mphil said:

First of all, he didn't sacrifice himself. He let himself passively get sucked into a tornado in a scene so chaotic Clark could have easily saved him.
    Reads like you say “tomato” differently from me.
    Tonebone said:

Matt said:

mphil said:

Second, sure it focuses on "an aspect"... but a screenwriter and director chose what aspect to focus on, and chose the wrong one. That's called bad writing. Also, the ending... another bad choice/bad writing.
    “Wrong one” is purely subjective. We have 4 movies, a homage movie, & Smallville looking at one aspect. This was just a different aspect. Subjectively, one I found to be a fresh, interesting aspect. An aspect I have been yawning at interests you...and I’m fine with that.

The third act of MoS was bad. I found the movie dropped from a solid A to a B/B- when Zod came to Earth.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Ditko didn’t draw Superman very often (in fact, this may have been the only time), but here’s a pin-up he did for Superman #400.