Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Music Thread

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I found a couple old Jackie Gleason albums (he conducted orchestras and jazz combos in addition to all the acting and comedy). Great throwback to a bygone era.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Torchsong said:

I found a couple old Jackie Gleason albums (he conducted orchestras and jazz combos in addition to all the acting and comedy). Great throwback to a bygone era.

Did you get one of the albums that features Bobby Hackett?
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    I do enjoy some Jackie Gleason records
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Torchsong said:

Not sure...they made a deal of of having a particular horn/sax player on the album, so maybe.

UPDATE: Did a little research and yes, Bobby played on both albums:

Music to Make You Misty (1953) Capitol Records
    Music, Martinis and Memories (1954) Capitol Records

He did others with Jackie as well, but those were the two I found.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Torchsong said:

Not sure...they made a deal of of having a particular horn/sax player on the album, so maybe.

UPDATE: Did a little research and yes, Bobby played on both albums:

Music to Make You Misty (1953) Capitol Records
    Music, Martinis and Memories (1954) Capitol Records

He did others with Jackie as well, but those were the two I found.
    How sweet it is! He was a great musician.
  • Options
    OriusOrius Posts: 188
    edited May 2018
    1) "Mighty River" - Mary J. Blige. I genuinely wanted it to win the Oscar. I was so moved by its lyrics.

2) Common. I love his collaboration with John Legend on "Glory". It was such an amazing song, I couldn't listen to it enough. I began to pay attention to Common and his raps ever since.

3) So long ago. Some Disney compilation album of its greatest hits from the pre-2002 (or 2003) animated movies. I've listened to it quite a few times.

4) Can't remember, I'm afraid. Too many to keep track.

5) Nothing in the future at the moment. I'm not a big music person, so I don't really keep up with what's trending in music.
  • Options
    It is fun. Alot of limited releases. I
    Orius said:

1) "
    2) Common. I love his collaboration with John Legend on "Glory". It was such an amazing song, I couldn't listen to it enough. I began to pay attention to Common and his raps ever since.

I loved his collaboration with John Wick, even though he got stabbed in the heart.
  • Options
    OriusOrius Posts: 188
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXA05YEIMtQ

Say what you will about the movie. It still has the best Uncle Ben death, not to mention that haunting soundtrack... (the 'death' takes place at 0:42 mark of the video). I love that that particular part of the score is not loud or "in-your-face" kind of emotional. It's very gentle, subtle, and almost quiet as you watch Peter coming to terms with the fact that his uncle's been shot.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Looks like I am hitting my first concert in years soon.

Salt and Pepa
    Rob Base
    Coolio
    and
    KID&PLAY
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Looks like I am hitting my first concert in years soon.

Salt and Pepa
    Rob Base
    Coolio
    and
    KID&PLAY

What, Slick Rick wasn’t available?
  • Options
    Parliament released their first album in 38 years this week. I'm halfway through, and it’s pretty darn good.
  • Options
    The four year old daughter scrolling through Spotify and clicking on dressed to kill album.
    "What are you doing little one" - me
    "I want to listen to Kiss Daddy, did I get it right?"
    She recognized the makeup on the cover.
  • Options
    Respect In Peace. We'll all say a little prayer for you, ’Retha.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    So it has been a decade since Hayes carll released on of my favorite country albums Trouble in Mind. It didn't introduce to modern outlaw country, but it solidified that "this outlaw stuff" might be the best

Go listen to " she left me for Jesus"
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Saw Ozzy live for the third time. You could tell he still loves performing and he said he has no intention of stopping. It was great seeing Zack Wylde play with Ozzy again.
  • Options
    I'm really wanting to go to Kiss farewell tour.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I'm really wanting to go to Kiss farewell tour.

Yep. Even if it's the first of several "farewell" tours to come, I'm in. This was the first band I ever saw live, and it'll be a nice bookend (not that I'm planning on going anywhere, mind you.)
  • Options
    @Torchsong you should listen to the most recent episode of Rock Talk with Mitch Laffon he has a 40 minute interview with Paul Stanley. The crazy thing the only member of Kiss Mitch had never interviewed was Paul (I don't just mean of the original 4, I mean all the members).

Paul seems like a decent guy from all the interviews I have heard over the years
  • Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    mwhitt80 said:

@Torchsong you should listen to the most recent episode of Rock Talk with Mitch Laffon he has a 40 minute interview with Paul Stanley. The crazy thing the only member of Kiss Mitch had never interviewed was Paul (I don't just mean of the original 4, I mean all the members).

Paul seems like a decent guy from all the interviews I have heard over the years

Have you read Paul's book? It's great.

I've seen KISS 4 times, twice without the makeup, and twice after the put the makeup back on but before Ace and Peter were replaced. While I would like to see them one last time, I'm content with what I've had.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I've met Gene and Paul at book signings. Both are really nice people and appreciative of their fans. If I hit this tour I think it'd be my fourth time seeing them.
  • Options
    For this conversation I need Al @Torchsong get over here.
    Perfect 5 song storm mix and go...
  • Options
    “Riders on the Storm,” The Doors — clouds on the horizon
    “In from the Storm,” Jimi Hendrix — storm is building
    “Ride the Lightning,” Metallica — the storm arrives
    “Who’ll Stop the Rain,” CCR — the worst is over, but the rain...
    “Stormy Weather,” Ella Fitzgerald — the aftermath
  • Options
    Difficulty Factor: Hair metal bands only:

"Lightning Strikes Again" - Dokken
    "Midnight / Tornado" - Skid Row
    "White Lightning" - Def Leppard
    "Through The Rain" - Cinderella
    "November Rain" - GnR

• Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    St. Paul and the Broken Bones are in town this weekend. I was planning on seeing them until the Mrs. bought tickets to DU Hockey homecoming. I'm sad and happy at the same time.
  • Options
    Sister Sparrow.

Damn!
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

Sister Sparrow.

Damn!

I like ’em pretty well. It's nice to hear some horns and harmonica sometimes.
  • Options

aquatroy said:

Sister Sparrow.

Damn!

I like ’em pretty well. It's nice to hear some horns and harmonica sometimes.
    Having grown up with Blood Sweat and Tears on the radio, I heartily agree.
  • Options
    I totally missed that The Afghan Whigs put out an album in 2017 (In Spades). It’s now my favorite album in their catalog.