Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The 2018 Reading Thread - Anyone Left? Edition - September

Since it's now the 4th and no one else has done it... hope I'm not stepping on any toes.

The Rules
Log everything you've read this year. Just edit your existing post or you (and we) will get confused trying to keep up. At the end of each month, I'll start a new thread and you can pick a "winner" from your favorite books. You can focus on just trades, or just write about the good stuff you've read.

Comments

• Options
    BryanBryan Posts: 208
    edited September 2018
    January Winner: Clean Room Vol. 1
    February Winner: Swamp Thing Winter Special #1
    March Winner: Quarry's War #4
    April Winner: Highest House #1
    May Winner: Barrier 1-5
    June Winner: Kill or Be Killed #20
    July Winner: Gideon Falls #5
    August Winner: Maestros #7 - I thought this book was very good, and unfortunately under the radar. Skroce built a very interesting world that could be the backdrop for a lot of neat story telling. I'm not sure whether this is the end of the book or just the first arc, but I think it deserved some recognition.

September Books:

New (2018):
    Black Badge #1
    A Walk Through Hell #4
    X-Men Red #7
    Mike Hammer #3
    Astonishing X-Men #15
    Paper Girls #24
    Batman #54-55
    Border Town #1
    The Seeds #1-2
    Punisher #1
    Hot Lunch Special #1
    Lowlifes #4
    Oblivion Song #7
    Domino #6
    Batman: Damned #1
    Death or Glory #5
    Mata Hari #5
    Sword of Ages #5
    Rumble #7
    Days of Hate #8
    Britannia: Lost Eagles of Rome #3
    Mike Hammer #4
    Saga Vol. 9
    Heroes in Crisis #1
    Man-eaters #1
    Black Badge #2
    Domino Annual #1
    X-Men Red #8

Older:
    Alias Vol. 1 - 2
    Coffin Hill Vol. 1
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited October 2018
    My little guy is about to be 1 September Edition
    Batman Dark Prince Charming vol 1&2
    Indestructible Hulk 9-14
    Iron man Micheline, Layton JRJR Omnibus - this was really good.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited September 2018
    Thanks, @Bryan. I've been so busy the past few weeks I barely noticed a new month had started.

January winner: Mister Miracle #6
    February winner: Royal City #3-9
    March winner: Highest House #1-2
    April winner: Highest House #3
    May winner: Highest House #4
    June winner: Mister Miracle #9
    July winner: The Adventures of Dieter Lumpen TP
    August winner: Highest House #6

September Books
    Archie 1941 #1
    Black Badge #2
    Blackwood #4
    Cover #1
    The Dreaming #1
    Eternity Girl #5-6
    The Grave Diggers Union #8-9
    Hey Kids! Comics! #2
    Isola #4-5
    Lark’s Killer #7-9
    Lumberjanes #29-32
    Lumberjanes: Makin’ the Ghost of It
    Mister Miracle #11
    Paper Girls #24
    Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #308
    Red Sonja #0
    Rocket Raccoon #1-5
    Royal City #11-14
    Rumble #11-14
    Thor #4
    West Coast Avengers #1
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    edited September 2018
    January Winner: Green Arrow Rebirth vols 1-3
    February Winner: Aaron’s Thor run
    March Winner: Swamp Thing Winter Special
    April Winner: Tom Kings Batman run
    May Winner: Hawkeye
    June Winner: Batman White Knight
    July Winner: Attack on Titan
    August Winner Tom Kings Batman run... again

September books...

Justice League vs Suicide Squad tpb
    Attack on Titan: Before the Fall vol.3
    Justice League Dark #1&2
    Green Arrow (Rebirth) vol.4 tpb
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited October 2018
    Going to try to join in/ keep up with this (even though I know the year is well in progress!)

September Books

New (2018):
    Cinema Purgatorio #13
    Stray Bullets #35-38
    Bully Wars #1
    United States Vs. Murder, Inc. #1
    LOEG Tempest #1
    The New World #1-3
    Hey Kids, Comics! #2
    Cemetery Beach #1
    MCMLXXV #1
    James Bond: The Body #4
    Days of Hate #8
    Batman: Damned #1
    Batman #54, 55
    Mister Miracle #11
    Scarlet (Vol 2) #1
    Heroes In Crisis #1
    Man-Eaters #1
    Border Town #1
    Cover #1
    Pearl #2
    A Walk Through Hell #4
    The Walking Dead #183

Older:
    Dark Nights Metal: The Forge
    Dark Nights Metal: The Casting
    Moonshine 8, 9
    Bloodborne Vol. 1

Right at the end of the month I started trying out Comixology Unlimited:
    The Shadow (2012 Dynamite Ennis/Campbell) 1-6
    G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero (IDW) 155.5-159
  • Options
    @David_D how is cinema purgatorio? I got the Kickstarter and never followed up getting any of the other issues.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

@David_D how is cinema purgatorio? I got the Kickstarter and never followed up getting any of the other issues.

@mwhitt80 Thanks for helping it exist!

It definitely feels like something of an indulgent purchase, given the $7 cover price (and that the DCBS discount for Avatar books is only 35%, still something, but less than the discount for some other publishers) but I am glad I have stuck with it. I would *almost* pay that much just for the Moore/O'Neill strip because that has been consistently great, and does a good job of straddling that line between horror and comedy that remind me of a lot of Moore's earlier work.

But I justify the price because I also get to read more of Garth Ennis and Raulo Caceres doing Code Pru, and I enjoyed that character in her miniseries. The other strips, story-wise, haven't grabbed me as much, but they aren't bad, and the black & white art is excellent throughout. Reading it brings me back to the days of the original Dark Horse Presents. So I am glad it is still going.
  • Options
    BryanBryan Posts: 208
    David_D said:

mwhitt80 said:

It definitely feels like something of an indulgent purchase, given the $7 cover price (and that the DCBS discount for Avatar books is only 35%, still something, but less than the discount for some other publishers) but I am glad I have stuck with it. I would *almost* pay that much just for the Moore/O'Neill strip because that has been consistently great, and does a good job of straddling that line between horror and comedy that remind me of a lot of Moore's earlier work.

But I justify the price because I also get to read more of Garth Ennis and Raulo Caceres doing Code Pru, and I enjoyed that character in her miniseries. The other strips, story-wise, haven't grabbed me as much, but they aren't bad, and the black & white art is excellent throughout. Reading it brings me back to the days of the original Dark Horse Presents. So I am glad it is still going.
    I read the first 12 and then dropped it. While I enjoyed all the stories, I found the only one that I really looked forward to when opening the book was Kieron Gillen & Nahuel Lopez’s “Modded” and 7$ for 8-10 pages (whatever it was) wasn’t worth it.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Bryan said:

David_D said:

mwhitt80 said:

I read the first 12 and then dropped it. While I enjoyed all the stories, I found the only one that I really looked forward to when opening the book was Kieron Gillen & Nahuel Lopez’s “Modded” and 7$ for 8-10 pages (whatever it was) wasn’t worth it.
    Yes, for that cover price you would definitely want to be looking forward to more than just the one strip! They can't say you didn't give it all a chance, though, going 12 issues deep on it.
  • Options
    Bump
    Bump
    Bump it up
  • Options
    Bumping-- get your final September votes in!