Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

RIP the Mirthful One, Marie Severin

The 89-year-old Eisner Hall of Famer has passed away. She got her first job in comics as a colorist for EC thanks to her big brother, John, and she only went up from there. A key part of Marvel’s rapid growth in the late ’60s/early ’70s, much of her contributions were made behind the scenes in the bullpen, but also as a penciller, inker, colorist, and for a time as a cover designer. She was a funny, talented lady.

Comments

• aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    This just popped up in my in-box. I think you all will enjoy it.

I found some information just to help you remember all she contributed to the field.

Marie Severin, sister to John Severin, has passed away Wednesday night after a stroke. She was 89 years old. Marie was an American comics artist and colorist best known for her work for Marvel Comics but started by doing most the coloring for the 1950s' EC Comics. Ms. Severin returned to comic books taking over as the regular artist of Marvel's Doctor Strange feature in Strange Tales, co-creating the Living Tribunal in her time on the feature. Marie Severin continued working as Marvel's primary colorist until the '70s, when she shifted to penciling more interior pages for stories on titles such as Iron Man, Conan the Barbarian, Kull the Conqueror, and Not Brand Ecchh!. Severin co-created Marvel's Spider-Woman in the 70s, designing her original costume. She was inducted into the Will Eisner Comics Hall of Fame in 2001 and also received several other awards.

I will always remember her as my connection with John Severin. She noticed my badge when I was getting her autograph at the 1971 New York Comic Convention. She told me her brother just move to Denver and would love to talk to comic fans. She then gave me his phone number. I could hardly wait to get home to call and talk to him. He said "Who told you to call me?" When I told John it was his sister, he informed that he didn't like meeting or talking to fans at all. He just wanted to draw. He informed me that it was a practical joke she played on him. And he would get even. We talked a while and I told him I was going to art school and wanted to be a comic artist. After a bit John said he had to go but to call him back in a week or two. I did and we ended up talking for 40 years. He did get even. He told Marie she had to do a drawing for me when we were doing the Comic Conventions back in 1981-85. That is the drawing I included in this memory moment. Bless you Marie and thank you all your contribution. You will be missed.

Kevin Robinette

G.R.O.U.P.
    Greater
    Rockies
    Organization of
    Ultimate
    Panelologists
  • WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Sad news... :(
  • Sorry to hear that. One of the first comics that I remember loving and never forgot about was a 2-parter of Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spiderman #47 and 48. It was kind of a silly story featuring a villain called Belladonna, but I loved Marie Severin's art! I don't have the words to describe the art but there was a "cleanness" to her line (I think that's how it's described, but I may be wrong) that I really liked.
  • If you have a chance to pick up any of the Not Brand Ecchh stuff she did... it's beautiful. She was right up there with Elder, Davis and Wood as a "Mad" comics type artist. She really shows up the other artists on the title... like Kirby, Colan, etc. No small feat.

Also, this image she did in the 70's is mesmerizing... from FOOM 16.