Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    edited August 2018
    David_D said:

mwhitt80 said:

Joined a non-comics forum the other day.
    Your first 15 posts have to be approved by the moderator, to ensure that you aren't a spam and understand the community.

It's a good idea, but it makes getting 15 posts almost impossible. You really can't get into a conversation with anyone that way.

All this to say my cheating has proven to be unsatisfactory and it might be a while before I can step out on you guys again. I will now return to pervey lurking and seedy backrooms with no touching.

I think you’re supposed to be saying this with flowers.
    The Image of flowers was on the discount rack, guess they didn't make it to the forums.

I looked for a crappy I'm sorry poem to post, and was not disappointed. Now I truly am sorry for everything I have done.
  • mwhitt80 said:

Tonebone said:

David_D said:

1940s Captain Marvel was a bit grim and gritty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEUVif2LQes

Yeeeeow... he picked that guy up by the scrote.
    What is Captain Marvel's favorite power lift?

Deez Nutz

It's the best I could do on short notice.
    You did just fine.
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    Tonebone said:

mwhitt80 said:

Tonebone said:

David_D said:

1940s Captain Marvel was a bit grim and gritty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEUVif2LQes

Yeeeeow... he picked that guy up by the scrote.
    What is Captain Marvel's favorite power lift?

Deez Nutz

It's the best I could do on short notice.
    You did just fine.
    I remember reading something about the filming of the serial and reading that Tom Tyler would take the stunt guys and lift them over his head.

damn

That's freaky strong.
    While listening to a podcast
    "Boy if podcasts had been in 1992 that would have got a Jerky Boys laugh"

I've not thought about the Jerky Boys since middle school. Man they cracked me up back then. I can't imagine that they were in the least bit funny, but to a middle school boy they ruled.
    I think DC is going to cancel Scooby Doo where are you at issue 100. They went bi monthly and it seems to be getting ready to pull the plug.
    Scooby Doo is not a good book, but my daughter loves it. Ohh we still have team up which is her now favorite comic, and hopefully where are you will get replaced with something else Scooby related.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I don't know if Scooby Doo has ever been good in any iteration. But it's always been there.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    DAR said:

I don't know if Scooby Doo has ever been good in any iteration. But it's always been there.

For good Scooby Doo comics, see the run of Gold Key’s Hanna-Barbera Scooby-Doo... Mystery Comics by Mark Evanier and Dan Spiegle from the early ’70s.
    If I had the gift to write comics I would love to write the Scooby Doo. I would be a hero in my house.
    Some people want to write Batman or Avengers, me I want Shaggy.
    We are cleaning out our house and my daughter found my old yoyo stash from precollege. She even found my Tom Kuhn yoyo.

I have been working on my yoyo skill for 2 weeks; Boy I am awful now. I also realized I have to do a little restoration work on the Tom Kuhn (new string, replace the wooden axle sleeve, and axle.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    mwhitt80 said:

We are cleaning out our house and my daughter found my old yoyo stash from precollege. She even found my Tom Kuhn yoyo.

I have been working on my yoyo skill for 2 weeks; Boy I am awful now. I also realized I have to do a little restoration work on the Tom Kuhn (new string, replace the wooden axle sleeve, and axle.

Admit it: You are looking at this yo-yo as if it were a kind of fishing rod.
    @David_D Well I got confused for a second. I was really looking at it trying to figure out how made out highschool without being emotional or physically beaten down.

I was excited when she found my good yoyo though. You can't buy that one any more. She can play with the cheap ones not the Tom Kuhn.
  • mwhitt80 said:

I think DC is going to cancel Scooby Doo where are you at issue 100. They went bi monthly and it seems to be getting ready to pull the plug.
    Scooby Doo is not a good book, but my daughter loves it. Ohh we still have team up which is her now favorite comic, and hopefully where are you will get replaced with something else Scooby related.

I GUARANTEE that if DC cancels Scooby Doo, a smaller publisher will license it and publish it, needing a much lower number of sales to break even. Boom or IDW would probably kill a nun to get that license.
    mwhitt80 said:

Let me guess. One of those yo-yo teams did a demonstration at your middle school.
    No way. I was never that good; I used to play with it a lot. I could do a handful of tricks, but now I can't even walk the dog?
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

mwhitt80 said:

Let me guess. One of those yo-yo teams did a demonstration at your middle school.
    Wasn't the founder of Golden Apple Comics in LA a former yo-yo champ?

I remember Matt Groening mentioning something like that on a Simpsons commentary.
    edited August 2018
    @nweathington what issue of back issues magazine had an article on Carol kalish (sp?) The lady from marvel that helped modernize comic stores.
    mwhitt80 said:

@nweathington what issue of back issues magazine had an article on Carol kalish (sp?) The lady from marvel that helped modernize comic stores.

I don't remember there being an article on her in Back Issue. That's not to say there isn't one, I just don't remember. The sale has me slammed at work, so I don't have time to dig around and figure it out right now, but I'll try to remember to do it once things have calmed down.
    Got you sorry I forgot about the sale. Try to get rest when you can
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited September 2018

"And I would've gotten away with it..."
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Facebook told me it was one, @JamieD's 52nd birthday today! Fifty-two! Happy birthday, Jeremy!

Another plug to check out this 50th Birthday special from two years ago.
    HBD @JamieD I miss your voice and stories. 52!
  • At the high school football game (my daughter's first game in the marching band). To explain how bad these teams are, I'll just say the score: 2-2 at halftime.
    Defensive battle
  • You might think so, but no. I don't know the final stats, but it felt like their team had more yards taken away on penalties than they actually made. They were called for delay of game three times in their first possession. Neither team had a kicker worth a lick. Their team had a punt of four yards (no return). Our team had a punt of three yards (no return), which turned into a first down for us because of a penalty on the receiving team.

To be fair, our team is a JV team, and we were playing a small prep school. Here’s the thing: We don't have a varsity football team this year—not enough players. And this is a 3-A school, so not a tiny school. We’ve got a kick-ass soccer team, though.
    I see the NFL is still debating what is and isn’t a catch
  • You might think so, but no. I don't know the final stats, but it felt like their team had more yards taken away on penalties than they actually made. They were called for delay of game three times in their first possession. Neither team had a kicker worth a lick. Their team had a punt of four yards (no return). Our team had a punt of three yards (no return), which turned into a first down for us because of a penalty on the receiving team.

To be fair, our team is a JV team, and we were playing a small prep school. Here’s the thing: We don't have a varsity football team this year—not enough players. And this is a 3-A school, so not a tiny school. We’ve got a kick-ass soccer team, though.

People laughed at Mark Cuban, but I think he may have been right.