Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

RIP Norm Breyfogle

David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
I am sorry to share that Norm Breyfogle has passed away.

Here is what Daniel Best shared in a public FB post:

“Norm Breyfogle. 1960-2018

It is with the heaviest of heavy hearts that I wake this morning. After one loss, comes another. My best friend in the comic book industry, Norm Breyfogle, passed away this week.

Details are being kept private for now, and when they are able to be released, along with the funeral arrangements, I’ll be sure to let people know.

Right now I’m numb. Norm was more than just an artist and writer, he was a person who I connected with on so many levels.

I haven’t the words.”

Comments

• Options
    Damn.

Breyfogle was "my" Batman artist, and I think that could be said for many Batman fans, especially those who came to the comic around the time of the first Tim Burton Batman film. I loved his linework, the way his figures seemed to flow, especially when he had them in motion, due to that "rounded" flowing look of his inking. Wish I would've had the chance to meet him.
  • Options
    Breyfogle started working on the Batman books shortly before I got back into comics during college. I liked his stuff because it reminded me of Jim Aparo’s work in a lot of ways, especially on those occasions where he inked himself (even though he generally had a rather slicker, less organic inking style than Aparo). But he pushed the figures even more than Aparo (that is to say, made them more “cartoony”), which I really appreciated. It gave his work a lot of energy and dynamism.
  • Options
    Sad news indeed. And a young guy.

Definitely appreciated and enjoyed his work on Batman.
  • Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    I just posted this over on the thread for episode 1711, but it deserves to be here as well:

Norm Breyfogle was my Batman artist.

Not sure if folks know this, but there's an episode of Psych (Shawn vs the Red Phantom, Season 1, Episode 8) in which Shawn and Gus investigate the disappearance of a teenager, which takes them to a comic convention.

Many of the character's names from the episode were taken from the Batman comics. An example would be the teenager they were searching for, whose last name was Breyfogle.
  • Options
    One of the best Batman artists. RIP