Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIP Carlos Ezquerra

Saw the news on Twitter this morning. Ezquerra, during his time on 2000 AD created so much with his work on Strontium Dog and Judge Dredd.

He did things with a broken line that I still don’t understand but that I know I will miss.

Comments

  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 3,929
    edited October 2018
    He was a great artist.

    I enjoy Dredd a lot, but Strontium Dog was a better out of the gate comic. The art and story are great. Carlos's drawing of the character Judge Dredd is good, but he really gave mega city it's look.
    image
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,830
    I'm sorry to hear of this. I am woefully under-read when it comes to 2000AD (someday!) and I know that is what he is rightfully most associated with, of course, and being co-creator of Judge Dredd.

    Personally, I really enjoyed many of his collaborations with Garth Ennis, like their Tankies story in Battlefields, and a particular favorite being their SF Western Just A Pilgrim. (Most of the images online are the cover, which he did not do, but here is a picture of one of the original pages)

    image

  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,171
    While I was never a fan of his figure work, he was a great storyteller, and the gritty, organic textures in his linework were a great fit for the worlds of Dredd and Strontium Dog.
  • CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    A sad day for us over here. The 2000AD post can be read here.
    https://2000ad.com/post/4322

    And this is a commission he completed for me just before he went into hospital last month. It shows one of his original character designs for Johnny Alpha next to how he drew him in the modern era.

    image
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 3,929
    Man that is cool commission.
    He really did set a visual standard for 2000 AD.
    Thank you for the link to 2000AD @Caliban
  • Luke82Luke82 Posts: 5
    Gutted. He was one of my faves and not just for his 200AD work, but the wonderful War Comics he did with Garth Ennis.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,375
    Luke82 said:

    Gutted. He was one of my faves and not just for his 200AD work, but the wonderful War Comics he did with Garth Ennis.

    I haven’t read any of the Ennis war comics. Any specific recommendations?
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,830
    hauberk said:

    Luke82 said:

    Gutted. He was one of my faves and not just for his 200AD work, but the wonderful War Comics he did with Garth Ennis.

    I haven’t read any of the Ennis war comics. Any specific recommendations?
    I know you were asking @Luke82 but if you don't mind my chiming in, too, for me I would recommend the three stories they did together in the Battlefields series from Dynamite about a tank crew in WW2. I thought those were some of the best stories Ennis did from throughout his many war stories across War Stories at Vertigo and Avatar, and Battlefields at Dynamite, and Ezquerra had this great mix of the grittiness of the armor and the very expressive faces of these larger than life characters surviving in close quarters inside that tank. Battlefields has been collected in trade and hardcover.

    Also, I don't know if you use Comixology Unlimited (I've just started, it's great) but the entire Battlefields series is currently available there, too.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,375
    David_D said:

    hauberk said:

    Luke82 said:

    Gutted. He was one of my faves and not just for his 200AD work, but the wonderful War Comics he did with Garth Ennis.

    I haven’t read any of the Ennis war comics. Any specific recommendations?
    I know you were asking @Luke82 but if you don't mind my chiming in, too, for me I would recommend the three stories they did together in the Battlefields series from Dynamite about a tank crew in WW2. I thought those were some of the best stories Ennis did from throughout his many war stories across War Stories at Vertigo and Avatar, and Battlefields at Dynamite, and Ezquerra had this great mix of the grittiness of the armor and the very expressive faces of these larger than life characters surviving in close quarters inside that tank. Battlefields has been collected in trade and hardcover.

    Also, I don't know if you use Comixology Unlimited (I've just started, it's great) but the entire Battlefields series is currently available there, too.
    Thanks. I'm currently not doing digital, unless I find something in the Amazon Prime Library. I'll keep an eye out for these though.
  • Luke82Luke82 Posts: 5
    The Battlefields stuff is great and I'd also recommend Adventures in the Rifle Brigade
Sign In or Register to comment.