Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1712 Talkback - October 2018 Previews

Peekaboo--here's Previews! We go through the October catalog for items shipping to stores beginning in December. Then, special guest Previewer Ian Levenstein spins a few yarns from NYCC 2018! (1:58:58)

Listen here.

Comments

• i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 781
    edited October 2018
    A pleasure to join in at the end there! Although I caught myself overusing the word "Indeed" again. Hopefully next time I'll get to enjoy the company of Sir @brydeemer as well! Indeed.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Mazes and Monsters is a pretty infamous film, especially for us older D&D players. I guess you guys are a little too young. It fed into the “D&D will turn your kids into Satanists” frenzy that was going on at the time—not at all unlike the comic book/juvenile delinquency insanity of the late ’50s. My grandmother was convinced it was true, and I had to talk her down several times.

Re: Detective Comics Before Batman Omnibus, I was talking with Michael Uslan (he wrote the forward for the collection) at NYCC, and he said if this does well enough, DC will do this for other series, like More Fun (pre-Spectre). I really hope it does, though I, unfortunately, can’t afford to get it myself.

My understanding of the Defenders one-shots, is that the “mini-event” spun out of the Silver Surfer pitch, rather than the other way around. Based on a talk I had in NY, I expect the Silver Surfer book to be pretty cool, and I have been assured that the Dr. Strange story is quite good as well.

Re: NYCC, it felt just as crowded to me on my trips from the booth to the bathroom and back throughout the day. It was a little thinner later in the day, though—from 5:00 on or so. But I was just on the main floor. Never made it down to Artists Alley, though they were in a much bigger room this year than last year. Last year’s Artists Alley was a disaster. And Pants did make it on Saturday. Bumped into him while I was digging through comics bins before the floor opened, and then he stopped by the booth later in the day.
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552

Mazes and Monsters

Re: Detective Comics Before Batman Omnibus, I was talking with Michael Uslan (he wrote the forward for the collection) at NYCC, and he said if this does well enough, DC will do this for other series, like More Fun (pre-Spectre). I really hope it does, though I, unfortunately, can’t afford to get it myself.

I would jump all over a "Brave and the Bold Before Team-Ups" Omnibus.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    aquatroy said:

Mazes and Monsters

I would jump all over a "Brave and the Bold Before Team-Ups" Omnibus.
    Yeah, I'm with you. That would be a sure bet.
  • Mazes and Monsters is a pretty infamous film, especially for us older D&D players. I guess you guys are a little too young. It fed into the “D&D will turn your kids into Satanists” frenzy that was going on at the time—not at all unlike the comic book/juvenile delinquency insanity of the late ’50s.

Because I was already a Tom Hanks fan from Bosom Buddies, I watched that movie when it was first broadcast. I didn't play D&D at the time. Guess what sparked my interest.