Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1711 Talkback - Comic Talk

We wax elegiac in this episode, as we speak a few words in praise of recently departed creators Marie Severin, Gary Friedrich, and Norm Breyfogle. We also share our gut reactions to the traumatic first issue of DC's Heroes in Crisis miniseries, along with other reviews, reflections, and rejoinders. (1:10:23)

Listen here.

Comments

• SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    Norm Breyfogle. He was my Batman artist.

Not sure if folks know this, but there's an episode of Psych (Shawn vs the Red Phantom, Season 1, Episode 8) in which Shawn and Gus investigate the disappearance of a teenager, which takes them to a comic convention.

Many of the character's names from the episode were taken from the Batman comics. An example would be the teenager they were searching for, whose last name was Breyfogle.
  • Interesting talk on Heroes In Crisis. I'm a weirdo who isn't a Tom King fan. I keep trying, but just cannot get into his work and Heroes in Crisis didn't sway me. I won't delve into it too much yet so people can read it, but I can't really see Harley going toe to toe with Booster. I wish it was more about Heroes in Crisis and not a murder mystery.
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    I'll type comments while I'm listening this time:
    Netflix series: I'm so far behind that after listening to this, I feel it's time to start catching up (Punisher, Jessica Jones 2, Luke Cage 2, Iron Fist 2, and now Daredevil) Arrrgh! X_X
    Trailer: Captain Marvel...I guess I'm puzzled by comments about the actress's "stone face"...I really loved the trailer. Yeah, for the future, Secret Invasion and Kree-Skull war MIXED is my guess!
    Comics: I didn't order either comic you discussed (Batman: The Damned? and Heroes in Crisis). I'll have to back order or check back issues later if the stories are any good.
    Marie Severin: I remember her most from Not Brand Echh! Though I did like her Sub-Mariner stories.
    Muddle!: Aw, man that Grey Eagle (was it) answer was quite close. Murd almost pulled another one out...
    Nice bonus contents at the end!
  • Glad to have the core group back together (or at least the core group that I came to know first). I was also happy to hear that someone else also thinks the Meachum siblings - esp the brother - were the most interesting characters in the first season of Iron Fist. Fortunately the new season has a lot more interesting characters. Unfortunately Iron Fist himself remains the least interesting.
  • PeterPeter Posts: 470
    edited October 2018
    Gutted to hear about Robert Taylor in this episode, gents. He was always good people and the Taylor Brothers will always be part of the original CGS community .

I found my punch picture on his page - I believe from Super Show 2010.

Also, a few of Robert and his brother Doug from the CGS photo galleries:

NYCC '07:

Shopping at a Wild Pig Sale '07: