Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

New Top 5 idea - creator/character duo

Greetings all. I haven't posted in a long time but plan to now. The passing of Mr. Breyfogle got me thinking of what characters you associate with a certain creator. Like Breyfogle/Batman or Swan/Superman. It could also be a writer like Geoff Johns/Stargirl or Starlin/Thanos. Any thoughts?

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,737
    It’s funny, if you said, “What creator do you associate with Stargirl?” I’d say Geoff Johns. But when you say, “What character do you associate with Geoff Johns?” I say Green Lantern.

I'll bet if you ask 20 people, “What character do you associate with Jack Kirby?” you’d get at least 10 different answers.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868

It’s funny, if you said, “What creator do you associate with Stargirl?” I’d say Geoff Johns. But when you say, “What character do you associate with Geoff Johns?” I say Green Lantern.

There's a lot that would work this way, for example if you said Storm Watch, it's Warren Ellis because of the higher profile his run gave it. But you're likely going to pick Spider Jerusalem if it goes the other way around.

Johns is a weird throwback though in that he doesn't have many creations that are truly HIS to be associated to. Even Stargirl started life as a Star Spangled Kid reboot. Dan Slott is similar on Marvel's side.

A recent one is Gerry Duggan/Deadpool but I suspect one of Duggan's creator owned projects will eventually eclipse that due to the fact that people still put that initial Kelly run on a pedestal over subsequent runs that were much longer (Nicieza's, Way's and Duggan's).
  • PeterPeter Posts: 470
    Jim Aparo's Batman.
    Peter David's Aquaman.
    Phil Jimenez's Tempest.
    George Perez's disco Nightwing.
    Scott McDaniel's Bludhaven Nightwing.
    John Romita Jr.'s X-Men.
    Christopher Priest's Black Panther.
    JH Williams' Batwoman.
    the entire original creative team of Amethyst.

I could go on and on. Great thread.
    edited October 2018
    Jim Aparo : Batman
    Batman : Denny O'Neil
    While Aparo is "my Batman artist", when I think of Batman I think of O'Neil, who completely changed how people saw the character both through his writing and as a longtime editor.

Peter David : Hulk
    Aquaman : Nick Cardy
    David will always evoke Hulk to me. He actually did something interesting with an otherwise one-note character. But when I think Aquaman, David is my third pick behind Nick and Aparo.

George Perez : Wonder Woman
    Nightwing : Marv Wolfman
    It's funny, I've never really associated George with one character. When I think of George, I think of lots of characters all at once. :) I settled on Wonder Woman because he also wrote her for a long time. I don't really think of Nightwing at all (sorry, Peter), but if I had to pin him down to one creator, I guess it would be Marv, who gave him a more distinguishable voice.

J.H. Williams : Batwoman
    Batwoman : J.H. Williams
    For Jim it was close between Batwoman and Promethea, but Batwoman won out in the end. For Batwoman, who else is there to choose, really?
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868

Peter David : Hulk
    Aquaman : Nick Cardy
    David will always evoke Hulk to me. He actually did something interesting with an otherwise one-note character. But when I think Aquaman, David is my third pick behind Nick and Aparo.

I used to have this opinion on Peter David & The Hulk, but that overlooked the Bill Mantlo run where a lot of things Peter David often gets credit for were set up first. And it gave us Rocket Raccoon to boot.

Hulk's one of those characters like Deadpool where I feel the impression some people get of him are in one note guest appearances elsewhere rather than his own book.

For me Peter David's multiple runs on X-Factor now eclipse his Hulk work. If you have to boil it down to one character it's probably Multiple Man.

And as good as Mantlo's Hulk is, Cloak & Dagger are probably what I associate most with him (same for the under-rated Ed Hannigan).
    Bill Mantlo : Comics nobody else wanted to write ;)

• For me Peter David's multiple runs on X-Factor now eclipse his Hulk work. If you have to boil it down to one character it's probably Multiple Man.

In my mind you don't have to boil it down to one character from a team. One of my top 5 is
    JLA: Grant Morrison. So count X-Factor if you wish
  • Norm Breyfogle's Batman
    Jon Bogdanove's Superman
    Steve Ditko's Spider-Man (by way of the original Spidey cartoon)
    John Romita Jr.'s Daredevil
    Peter David's Hulk
    Alan Moore's Swamp Thing
    Mike Zeck's Captain America (those covers from when I was reading, prior to & through the "Captain America No More storyline" in the mid-330s are what I think of when I think of Cap)
    George Perez's Wonder Woman
    Carmine Infantino's Flash
    Byrne's FF
    Simonson's Thor

That's all I got for now, have to get back to work. *shhhh*
    I’ve been trying to think of more where the character I most closely associate with a creator is the same as the creator I most closely associate with a character. Here’s what I came up with:

Joe Kubert : Enemy Ace
    Enemy Ace : Joe Kubert

Carmine Infantino : Flash
    Flash : Carmine Infantino

Nick Cardy : Bat Lash
    Bat Lash : Nick Cardy

José Luis García-López : Superman
    Superman : José Luis García-López
    Yeah, I know this probably wouldn’t match-up for most people. I was never a big Superman guy, but I would often grab it (particularly DC Comics Presents) if José did the cover and/or interiors. And then there's all the licensing artwork I saw all the time, which I recognized even then.

Al Williamson : Flash Gordon
    Flash Gordon : Al Williamson
    I didn’t see the Alex Raymond stuff until I was an adult, but as a kid I loved the Gold Key Flash Gordon comics Williamson drew.

Alex Niño : Captain Fear
    Captain Fear : Alex Niño
    Just a back-up series, but it thoroughly entranced me as a kid.

John Buscema : Conan
    Conan : John Buscema
  • ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    edited October 2018
    Starlin/Aparo/DeCarlo - Batman
    Lee/Kirby/Sinnott - FF
    Michelinie/JRjr/Layton - Iron Man
    Ostrander/Mandrake - Spectre
    Miller/Miller/Janson & /Mazzucchelli - Daredevil
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Like so many - Aparo : Batman. You go with the baby that brought you in.

I also have to throw "teams on teams" in there. Two immediately spring to mind:

Wolfman/Perez - Teen Titans
    Mantlo/Golden - Micronauts

Grell - Green Arrow. I know many will point to Adams but Grell's work in the 80s got me to love the character.

Byrne : She Hulk - took it in a great direction that holds up to this day.

• VertighostVertighost Posts: 335
    edited November 2018
    @Torchsong,

I agree with everything you wrote except the Green Arrow (I associate him with, as you expected, Adams and Grell with The Warlord). Thank you for the mention of the Mantlo/Golden run of the Micronauts - it was an obvious Star Wars knock-off but I thought it was the most distinctive and enjoyable one.

Also, I associate Byrne with not just She-Hulk (which I always thought was underrated) but several other heroes as well: Alpha Flight, FF, X-Men, even Namor. Sorry, I'm a child of the 80's. I might have to throw Superman on that list as well.

Here are some more for me:

Paul Gulacy: Master of Kung Fu

Bill Seinkiewicz: Warlock from New Mutants

Chris Bachalo: Shade the Changing Man

Steve Dillon: Preacher

Sal Buscema: Rom Spaceknight

Gene Colan: Howard the Duck

Kerry Gammill: (tie) Power Man and Iron Fist and Further Adventures of Indiana Jones (even though he only did 4 issues)

Ron Frenz: 80's Star Wars