Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comments

• mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Disney is supposedly doing their own streaming network. Similar to DC Universe, they could just move the shows there.
    According to this, Disney+ will be run by Marvel Cinematic which doesn't get along with Marvel TV. So the chances of these shows living on seems pretty doubtful.

https://www.cbr.com/netflixs-canceled-marvel-shows-disney-plus/
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited December 2018
    Is Jeph Loeb the problem here, or Isaac Perlmutter? Remember, there's also the New Warriors series that they can't find a home for at any Disney-owned channel.
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I don’t want to live in a world where anyone would or could cancel Dardevil, but keep Jessica Jones. There’s no way that show was saved. Just no way.
    I like Jessica Jones.
  • MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    edited December 2018
    Yeah this is very sad, I thought the 3rd Season was great, probably my favorite Season. Even if it did move to Disney I very much doubt it would still have the same tone and feel as it did on Netflix.
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    batlaw said:

I don’t want to live in a world where anyone would or could cancel Daredevil, but keep Jessica Jones. There’s no way that show was saved. Just no way.

Jessica Jones will be gone soon as well. They're shooting the third season, & that will probably be it.
  • Possibly more bad news.

Variety

Variety is reporting that sources say a clause in the Netflix/Marvel TV deal for the 4 main shows prevent the characters from appearing in any non-Netflix TV show or movie for at least 2 years after cancellation.

In the grand scheme 2 years isn't a terribly long time, but it's far too long to be able to hold actors to shows that aren't actively in production. Unfortunately, I feel a number of these actors are going to get quickly snatched up by other shows or films. Charlie Cox, Simone Missick and Jessica Henwick seem to be the standouts and will be in demand.
  • VertighostVertighost Posts: 335
    edited December 2018
    I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I wanted to put in a word in favor of my favorite shows on Netflix which have been the first season of Jessica Jones and The Punisher, by far. I haven't been able to make it through an entire season of Daredevil without fast forwarding all the many killing-time scenes (i.e. anything with Matt in moody mode or the many attempts to give Karen and Foggy something to do). The new season has at least 2 episodes already where the bulk of them is Matt in bouts of self pity, doubt, and self destructiveness. As if we can't tell where his arc will go.

It reminds me of the CW's Supergirl and the Flash (both of which I have loved at various points) where the writers can't think of any mini-arcs for characters so squeaky clean, so their main "flaw" is to doubt and blame themselves before realizing that self-pity isn't going to save the day. They do this over and over again, but it usually doesn't last longer than 5 minutes before a side character gives them the necessary pep talk. On the new season of DD these scenes are being stretched out over several episodes w/ the requisite "grittiness". While all of the shows on Netflix run too long, decompressed is an understatement when it comes to DD, IMO.
    I mean even if Disney could today start production on any of them, with the same actors, the tone of the shows would be completely different to the point they might as well start it from scratch.

Sadly the versions of these shows are over for good.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I wanted to put in a word in favor of my favorite shows on Netflix which have been the first season of Jessica Jones and The Punisher, by far.

We might have similar tastes, those are my favorite shows as well. I'd put Luke Cage season 2 as my 3rd favorite. I do like the DD though (I haven't seen the most recent season yet), and frankly all of it. Even Iron Fist is tolerable to me.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I’ve been reading more & more that it was Netflix’s decision to pull the plug. DD S4 was looking to begin production in February.

I’m curious if they could film 2 seasons worth of each show & just ice them until the 2 year ban is over.

On the plus side, if the Punisher season 2 airs first, I can finally drop Netflix streaming. I only got streaming because of these shows & I think I’ve only streamed 3 movies since I subscribed. Easily a luxury I can do without.
    Well now I've been seeing that Disney is buying Hulu, and someone from Disney said any of the Darker toned shows that they don't put on the Disney Streaming Service they will put on Hulu. So whenever they get DD and the others back if they want to try and do a season 4 of DD they could put it on Hulu.
  • @mphil, given your liking of Titans I think we do. If I had to pick a third favorite show on Netflix I think I'd go with Defenders, esp cause it was short.

SPOILERS for season 2 of DD:

After that I'd have to pick the 2 Punisher-heavy episodes of DD Season 2. (the rooftop discussion and the one with him and Kingpin). I should point out that Punisher has never been a favorite character or comic for me. Same thing with JJ. I did not expect to like either of their shows.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Jessica Jones and Punisher done gone cancelled as well.

Legion ending after Season 3 on FX.

New Warriors still without a home.

Jeph Loeb writes vague reassurances on Marvel.com
    Well I really hope the reason why Netflix chose to cancel these shows so early is because their going to try and sell the rights back to Disney/Marvel.
    I still haven't watched the latest seasons of Iron Fist, Daredevil or Punisher. At this point, knowing they're all done, I'm not sure if I will ever watch them.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Since Disney owns Hulu my guess is these find there way over there
    I just really want Season 4 of DD and Season 3 of Punisher, the rest I'll watch if they get more seasons, but I'll gladly sacrifice them to get more DD and Punisher.

I agree. I’m actually looking to drop Netflix now before Season 3 of Jessica Jones. Beyond the Marvel shows, I think I’ve only streamed 3-4 movies since I added the streaming service back when DD premiered. Easily an expense to drop.

To me it’s been far more worth it for the other content. They have a ton of great documentaries that alone is worth it

My wife watched Fuller House, and maybe tried a couple other series, but none took. I pretty much stopped watching tv shows. I’m basically down to just streaming my sports teams; usually just the radio play.

As much as I liked the Netflix Marvel shows, I found it difficult to find the time to watch them.

Umbrella Academy was really good. I probably liked it more than most of the Marvel Netflix shows

Sabrina as well.

• hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Matt said:

I agree. I’m actually looking to drop Netflix now before Season 3 of Jessica Jones. Beyond the Marvel shows, I think I’ve only streamed 3-4 movies since I added the streaming service back when DD premiered. Easily an expense to drop.

If I might offer a suggestion before you drop it. I feel like Altered Carbon might be something that you would enjoy. Dystopian SF with a nice hardboiled detective story.

My wife tells me how she’s trying to befriend some of the mothers of our daughter’s dance & kindergarten classmates. I told her I have zero interest in making new friends. Zero. I don’t get the time to hang out with the friends I already have, let alone feel like getting to know new people to then try & make time to spend with them.

I’ve heard good things about Altered Carbon, including some of the MCU cast involved, but I’m good. Thanks for the suggestion, though.