Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comments

• BrackBrack Posts: 868
    SPIDER-MAN: LIFE STORY from Zdarsky and Bagley sounds like a good 25th Anniversary of Marvels type story without being a rehash.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Bump-- the first post is updated with a lot more publishes, mostly thanks to the roundup at Newsarama.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Lazarus returns as Lazarus: Risen #1! This takes the book from a monthly to a quarterly book that will supposedly be the equivalent of 3 issues of content.

The Black Magick: Book of Shadows hardcover is not something that I'd planned on wanting, but if the treatment matches the Lazarus hardcovers (and they promise bonus backmatter) it may be something that I need.

DC Essentials Final Crisis addresses one of my frustrations with Final Crisis (adeptly addressed with Heroes In Crisis when they just folded the bookends in and decided to go from 7 issues plus two book ends to 9 issues) - It incorporates the critical non-main title works into the book so that it reads as a complete story.

Josh Dysart is back doing Valiant's The Life and Death of Toyo Harada - an excellent move for Valiant as I don't feel like they've been hitting the mark with much besides XO and Shadowman recently.
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    David D, thanks for getting all these links in one place. I appreciate it.
    Can someone tell me about Cave Pictures Publishing? I haven't heard of them.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    aquatroy said:

They're new to publishing, so I don't know much about them either. They say their mission (pun intended) is to produce quality spiritual comics. Not "religious", but "spiritual". I'm not sure what they meant exactly, but I'm guessing they mean books which have non-specific religious faith at their core, but where that non-specific religious faith isn't overtly shoved in your face? They're very vague about it on their website.

aquatroy said:

They're new to publishing, so I don't know much about them either. They say their mission (pun intended) is to produce quality spiritual comics. Not "religious", but "spiritual". I'm not sure what they meant exactly, but I'm guessing they mean books which have non-specific religious faith at their core, but where that non-specific religious faith isn't overtly shoved in your face? They're very vague about it on their website.
    My eyebrows go up when I read/hear the term spiritual. It's such a squishy term that, anymore, I'm not sure I know what is meant by it. However, I'm going to order the first two issues of The Light Princess. The description appeals to me.
    edited January 2019
    A few standouts for me:

Grunt: The Art and Unpublished Comics of James Stokoe — Kind of speaks for itself.
    The Grand Abyss Hotel — A graphic novel drawn by one of my current obsessions, David Rubín.
    Sabrina the Teenage Witch — A new miniseries by Kelly Thompson and Veronica Fish, two creators whose work I typically enjoy working on my favorite Archie character.
    Assassin Nation — The premise isn't something I'm really digging, but it's Kyle Starks and Erica Henderson, so it will likely be entertaining.
    Re: Giraffes on Horseback Salad, it’s a real screenplay written by Salvador Dali in 1937. The studio rejected it for being too surreal (duh, it's Dali). And there's an unsubstantiated report from the Telegraph that Groucho didn't think it was funny enough. Though the screenplay went missing, some scenes were still in cirulation, and in the early ’90s a theater group incorporated them into a show interspliced with depictions of real-life encounters between Groucho and Dali. The full screenplay was later found in Dali’s personal papers in 1996.

Being a fan of both the Marx Brothers and Dali (I encourage everyone to visit The Dali Museum in St. Petersburg if they're ever in the Tampa Bay area), I'm also intrigued by this graphic novel adaptation. The only thing really holding me back is a lack of knowledge of the artist and his abilities.