Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Netflix/Streaming/TV--- Whatcha watching?

Comments

• BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Steeven said:

There's all kinds of Monty Python on Netflix, y'all!

Shame a lot of it is a really poor transfer.
  • SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    Brack said:

Steeven said:

There's all kinds of Monty Python on Netflix, y'all!

Shame a lot of it is a really poor transfer.
    That may be true, but at least it's there.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    I've been streaming Babylon 5 on Amazon. that show is really good. I forgot how much of the series is set up in the pilot.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Just finished season 2 of Jessica Jones. Was nothing on the first. Shame.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    3 or 4 eps in on season 2 of Iron Fist. Better then the first so far. Colleen Wing carrying it. Love that character.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    luke52 said:

Just finished season 2 of Jessica Jones. Was nothing on the first. Shame.

I'm ambivalent - I think I disliked everyone in the first season with possible exception of Simpson and the detective from The Wire. I actively rooted for the sprinkler pipe in the bar scene. Second season the story was so slow, but the characters developed into people that I was interested in watching.
    I really like Bojack horseman, but now I can only call LA HollyWoo
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    mwhitt80 said:

I really like Bojack horseman, but now I can only call LA HollyWoo

The showrunner was on Fresh Air earlier this week. Didn’t get to hear all of it, but it almost made me want to watch the show.
    It's pretty good. But every time I think of Hollywood it's HollyWoo. Kind of like having to remember to put s on cents because of fifty-cent
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Watching season 13 of Supernatural with the missus. Watching Community with the daughter. And stuck g JoJo's Bizzare Adventure with the boy.
    Community is the best. I did 2 years community college to get the basics out of the way and after two episodes I looked at my wife (a grad assistant at the time) "This feels exactly like what community college is." 2 years later she is teaching part time at the community college and while watching an episode goes "I get it".

I wish we would have been able to have a paintball fight when I was in school.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Daredevil season 3. It’s the first thing from Marvel/Netflix that I’ve really liked since the first season of Daredevil.

edited October 2018
    It’s on Amazon Prime but I watched Night of the Living Dead for the first time. It’s pretty good
  • Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    I've been watching The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. If one can look past the show's often very dark and disturbing content. There's actually a very engrossing story. The show is being compared to Buffy, but it lack's Buffy's tongue and cheek dialog. It's also much more macabre than Buffy. Personally, I see more similarities to Harry Potter, especially the show's exploration of Sabrina's warlock father's relationship with Sabrina's mortal, human mother which is very reminiscent of how some mistreated Muggles in the HP universe. Plus, lead actor Kiernan Shipka is the spitting image of Emma Watson (IMO).

Hans Zimmer: Live in Prague.

If love musical scores like I do then this is a must watch.
    The Christmas Chronicles-My friends you need Kurt Russell as Santa Claus in your lives.
    Mission Impossible: Fallout. The best in the series and right now my favorite movie of the year.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    DAR said:

Mission Impossible: Fallout. The best in the series and right now my favorite movie of the year.

My wife stopped watching after MI3, so we're making our way through them all. Just finished MI3 last night. I got Fallout for my birthday this year. It's been difficult holding off on watching it for her.
    Bandersnatch. It’s from the series Black Mirror. It’s basically a choose your own adventure type film. It has some interesting elements but it gets pretty boring.
    Bird Box. Has a great opening 20 minutes after goes into a pretty standard post apocalyptic thriller.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    The third and final season of A Series of Unfortunate Events is out. My family has really enjoyed the previous two sessions and is looking forward to this one, even though it's going to end.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    edited January 2019
    Wrapped up Happy over the weekend. That was some seriously over the top stuff.

I'm still not sure why it worked, but it did.
    I got sucked into the show Slobbys World on Netflix.
    1) this is not a good show.
    2) daddy's must not look at their college kids credit card statement. $80 for a t-shirt and $75 for a pair basic overalls from the 90s. If that was me dad would have cancelled my Visa.
    3) the show is about an 80s/90s vintage store with in Tucson that focuses heavy on sneakers, shirts, jerseys, and bootleg Gucci.
    4) it's part American pickers and part comicbook men and it is not good.
  • I've been watching The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. If one can look past the show's often very dark and disturbing content. There's actually a very engrossing story. The show is being compared to Buffy, but it lack's Buffy's tongue and cheek dialog. It's also much more macabre than Buffy. Personally, I see more similarities to Harry Potter, especially the show's exploration of Sabrina's warlock father's relationship with Sabrina's mortal, human mother which is very reminiscent of how some mistreated Muggles in the HP universe. Plus, lead actor Kiernan Shipka is the spitting image of Emma Watson (IMO).

Yeah, I liked it overall, but it was really hard to get used to the "good guys" spouting "Praise Satan" and "Thank Beelzebub" all the time.

It was pretty engaging, tho.

By the way, windows spell corrected Beelzebub for me.
  • DAR said:

Bird Box. Has a great opening 20 minutes after goes into a pretty standard post apocalyptic thriller.

Everything past that first 20 minutes is time I will never get back.

This was a movie that was 100 percent created by a committee, after a suit said " 'The Quiet Place' is doing gangbusters! We need a horror thriller that's sense-based. What have we got? Johnson! Name a sense!"

Six months later, you have a 55 year old Sandra Bullock playing a blindfolded pregnant woman.
  • Netflix's Sick Note, starring Nick Frost and Rupert Grint is awesome. Each ep. is a half hour. Give it about 2 episodes to hook you. Really dark and funny. Also Don Johnson (?) playing an asshole.
  • Watching with my partner:

Schitt's Creek
    ST: DS9 Season 1 (her first watch after watching TNG)

Watching Solo:
    Narcos Season 2
    After cleaning up some snow. And then watching Wisconsin beat Michigan decided to throw on Fellowship of the Ring...nine hours later after the Two Towers, Return of the King is ending
  • I finally saw the 1994 Roger Corman produced version of the Fantastic Four. I gotta say I think it's got kind of an unfair rep. Yes it's horrible to look at but IMO most of its problems are the result of a lot of people trying very hard to recreate the comic when they don't have the money to do so. I know that the impetus for it being made was the guy who held the rights wanting to continue to hold the rights, but he obviously loves the material and this is the most faithful version by far.

It does make me wonder how Marvel (if they make a film) is going to work around the comic's and film's most preposterous moment: having at least one totally unqualified civilian who brings nothing to the table in terms of space flight tag along on a space flight. Ben's the pilot, Reed's the brilliant scientist and you can make Sue a scientist as well, but Sue's younger brother? I forget how the later Chris Evans version worked around that (it wasnt very memorable). I was thinking the space flight needs to go, but then you have whatever's being worked on not requiring the presence of Ben Grimm either. ( A problem the most recent version tried to work around in a ridiculous contrivance, I think. It was also not memorable.)

If Marvel ever does make FF, how do they work around this issue of an unqualified civilian being around for something they should not be in a realistic and satisfying way? I don't envy those writers.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868

I finally saw the 1994 Roger Corman produced version of the Fantastic Four. I gotta say I think it's got kind of an unfair rep. Yes it's horrible to look at but IMO most of its problems are the result of a lot of people trying very hard to recreate the comic when they don't have the money to do so. I know that the impetus for it being made was the guy who held the rights wanting to continue to hold the rights, but he obviously loves the material and this is the most faithful version by far.

It does make me wonder how Marvel (if they make a film) is going to work around the comic's and film's most preposterous moment: having at least one totally unqualified civilian who brings nothing to the table in terms of space flight tag along on a space flight. Ben's the pilot, Reed's the brilliant scientist and you can make Sue a scientist as well, but Sue's younger brother? I forget how the later Chris Evans version worked around that (it wasnt very memorable). I was thinking the space flight needs to go, but then you have whatever's being worked on not requiring the presence of Ben Grimm either. ( A problem the most recent version tried to work around in a ridiculous contrivance, I think. It was also not memorable.)

If Marvel ever does make FF, how do they work around this issue of an unqualified civilian being around for something they should not be in a realistic and satisfying way? I don't envy those writers.

The irresponsible attitude to space flight is easy - you cut the government/military aspect out and make Reed an Elon Musk-type.

The real problem is that Elon Musk-types increasingly make it obvious that people like Reed Richards aren't that sympathetic in real life (arguably a long baked-in aspect of the character).