Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1720 Talkback - January 2019 Previews

We say 'Pre,' you say 'Views'! Pre...VIEWS!!! We go through the January catalog for items shipping to stores beginning in March. (2:10:45)

Listen here.

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    “Almost like a Japanese Hunger Games-like scenario, from the look of things.” So a Battle Royale-like scenario then? ;) (Which also started as a prose novel, but I'm sure Ian already knew that.)
    Comics Implosion is just an “Offered Again” solicitation. There is no hardcover.
  • “Almost like a Japanese Hunger Games-like scenario, from the look of things.” So a Battle Royale-like scenario then? ;) (Which also started as a prose novel, but I'm sure Ian already knew that.)

I did! I also once saw a Flaming Lips concert where during one of their songs they played clips from the Battle Royale movie behind them for some reason.

“Almost like a Japanese Hunger Games-like scenario, from the look of things.” So a Battle Royale-like scenario then? ;) (Which also started as a prose novel, but I'm sure Ian already knew that.)

I did! I also once saw a Flaming Lips concert where during one of their songs they played clips from the Battle Royale movie behind them for some reason.
    Because they're the Flaming Lips. Fun fact: Way back when, there was a guy in one of my college classes who claimed to have played bass for the Flaming Lips for a while. It wasn't a bad con, because he was a little older by college standards, and the Lips were esoteric enough and had enough membership turnover where he could get away with it more often than not. I have a pretty good bullshit detector though. Never called him on it (being pre-internet days, it would have been nearly impossible to verify).
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I for one am looking forward to Spider-man Life Story if only to see a 130 year-old Aunt May.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I was perusing through my PREVIEWS and came across page 30--Spinner Racks! It looks like this may be a retailer only kind of thing, but does anyone know if non-retailers can order these or know if DCBS has them to order (I looked but couldn't find anything)? There's no price listed in the catalog, so I'm just curious if this is something I can even afford. I would love to finally have one of these in my home office. I suppose I'll probably end up emailing DCBS, but I wanted to see if any oracles of wisdom here had an answer.
    edited January 2019
    Re: Giraffes on Horseback Salad, it’s a real screenplay written by Salvador Dali in 1937. The studio rejected it for being too surreal (duh, it's Dali). And there's an unsubstantiated report from the Telegraph that Groucho didn't think it was funny enough. Though the screenplay went missing, some scenes were still in cirulation, and in the early ’90s a theater group incorporated them into a show interspliced with depictions of real-life encounters between Groucho and Dali. The full screenplay was later found in Dali’s personal papers in 1996.

Being a fan of both the Marx Brothers and Dali (I encourage everyone to visit The Dali Museum in St. Petersburg if they're ever in the Tampa Bay area), I'm also intrigued by this graphic novel adaptation. The only thing really holding me back is a lack of knowledge of the artist and his abilities.
  • CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    The Matt Smith who has a writing credit in the 2000AD villains takeover 99c special is the current editor of the galaxy’s greatest comic. We Brits usually just refer to him as Tharg.
    And look out for the FCBD Funny Pages issue which features some humour strips from the great Treasury of British Comics that Rebellion now own.
    Caliban said:

And look out for the FCBD Funny Pages issue which features some humour strips from the great Treasury of British Comics that Rebellion now own.

As long as there's some Leo Baxendale work in there.
  • fredzilla said:

Haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I was perusing through my PREVIEWS and came across page 30--Spinner Racks! It looks like this may be a retailer only kind of thing, but does anyone know if non-retailers can order these or know if DCBS has them to order (I looked but couldn't find anything)? There's no price listed in the catalog, so I'm just curious if this is something I can even afford. I would love to finally have one of these in my home office. I suppose I'll probably end up emailing DCBS, but I wanted to see if any oracles of wisdom here had an answer.

Jim Demonakos, who started, I believe, the Emerald City Comicon, did a kickstarter last year or the year before for spinner racks. They are now available for purchase from his site, for $349 + &89 shipping.

https://spinnerrack.com/

If I had the space or the money, i would definitely be getting one.
  • Also wanted to mention that the FCBD option is slightly different through DCBS this year. I did my order and when I got to the end I was prompted to choose up to 3 free comics from those being offered. I believe it was based upon the amount I ordered, though I can't backtrack to re-read the statement now. But the way I read it, it was being based on how much you spent for the month.

-chris
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868

Caliban said:

As long as there's some Leo Baxendale work in there.
    I imagine they will have some in there as they've got a Sweeny Toddler collection out later this year.
  • BryanBryan Posts: 207

Being a fan of both the Marx Brothers and Dali (I encourage everyone to visit The Dali Museum in St. Petersburg if they're ever in the Tampa Bay area), I'm also intrigued by this graphic novel adaptation. The only thing really holding me back is a lack of knowledge of the artist and his abilities.

Agreed on the Dali museum. It’s fantastic.

If it helps any, there are a handful of preview pages in Amazon’s listing of the book. I’m considering it as well.
    Bryan said:

If it helps any, there are a handful of preview pages in Amazon’s listing of the book. I’m considering it as well.

Thanks, I'll check that out!
  • Bryan said:

Agreed on the Dali museum. It’s fantastic.

I actually may wind up there this upcoming week!
  • BryanBryan Posts: 207

Lucky you!
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Just wanted to say that as usual you guys going over the Previews was quite helpful to me when trying to place my order. Thanks to you, my order jumped over the $100 mark for the first time in months. LOL!
  • i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 781
    edited February 2019
    Bryan said:

Lucky you!
    As an update to this post, @Bryan and @nweathington I did indeed make it to the Dali museum, and it was an amazing experience. LOVE the building, they had a special exhibit all about the friendship between Magritté and Dali on display, and their café had a great and cheap cheese plate for a post-walking nosh! And I came home with Dali-branded hot sauce. :D
  • Bryan said:

Lucky you!
    As an update to this post, @Bryan and @nweathington I did indeed make it to the Dali museum, and it was an amazing experience. LOVE the building, they had a special exhibit all about the friendship between Magritté and Dali on display, and their café had a great and cheap cheese plate for a post-walking nosh! And I came home with Dali-branded hot sauce. :D
    Nice! Glad you enjoyed it. It holds a special place in my heart, as my wife and I got engaged the same day we visited the museum. We ought to go back next year for our 25th anniversary. I'll have to think about that.