Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

Holy crap, I haven’t been here in what feels like forever. I missed you guys.

I missed you most of all, off-topic room.

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    mwhitt80 said:

Been a weirdo week.

So my mom has a leaky valve in her (been there for years) and doctors wanted to wait until it was necessary to fix. That day came on Sunday, she's having a valve replacement surgery tomorrow. It's weird week for me.

Yikes. That's a lot. Hang in there and I hope it all goes well.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608

Surgery was yesterday. It went great and mom is recovering well. They had her up and walking a little today.

• mwhitt80 said:

Surgery was yesterday. It went great and mom is recovering well. They had her up and walking a little today.

Great to hear!
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    mwhitt80 said:

That's great! Thanks for the update.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I’m not big on the Oscars overall. That being said here were my 20 favorite films from 2018

1. First Man
    2. Spider-Man into the Spiderverse
    3. Blackkklansman
    4. A Star Is Born
    5. Won’t You Be My Neighbor
    6. A Quiet Place
    7. Blindspotting
    8. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    9. Mission Impossible: Fallout
    10. Leave No Trace
    11. Incredibles 2
    12. Three Identical Strangers
    13. Solo
    14. Infinity War
    15. Game Night
    16. Aquaman
    17. A Simple Favor
    18. Bad Times at the El Royale
    19. Annihilation
    20. Halloween

Over the weekend my wife asked me who I was messaging on Facebook. It happened to be @mguy1977 and @Torchsong , and I said Matt and Al. She goes which are they? People from the CGS forums, we've been friends for over a decade. She now calls you my secret friends.

Most of us have been talking for a really long time and I am proud to have you guys as my secret friends.

I tell that story because you guys rawk and it leads to tonight's story.

My wife is starting a kindermusik (kids music classes) business and has friends from her training that she now calls her "secret friends" (she's jealous of you guys). One of her younger secret friends introduced her to using gifs in text. She was telling me about how on point she is with gifs now. then texts me a gif. She was so mad that I texted her one back immediately like I wasn't supposed to know how.

• TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    mwhitt80 said:

Most of us have been talking for a really long time and I am proud to have you guys as my secret friends.

The fact that you're a Falcons fan and I'm a Saints fan should also be entered into the equation. :)

Disney just announced they're opening Star Wars Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland on May 31 and Disney World on August 29.
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    edited March 2019
    Burning Sensations anyone?

https://www.today.com/news/diver-survives-almost-being-swallowed-15-ton-whale-t150169

Btw, The Burning Sensations was a "New Wave" band back in the early 80's. They had an MTV hit called "Belly of the Whale".
  • BryanBryan Posts: 207
    On the off chance anyone here is also a nine inch nails fan in addition to a comic book fan, you may be interested in this:

https://store.nin.com/products/captain-marvel-x-nin-collab-grey-tee

There is a white version too. Mine is already pre-ordered. :D

Any interesting news coming out of c2e2?

That is a rather iconic sticker...

edited March 2019

On occasion I am forced to reply to the I with absurd comments.

I happened the other day when someone got internet righteous on me. What else was I to do? I could ignore it as I do most things on the internet, but this guy just put it on a tee. I had to take a shot, and as with most of my internet "arguments" I'll let him win because I really don't care, but I am giving him the crying Indian.

• fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited March 2019

I just saw Alita Battle Angel. I thought it was more entertaining than Captain Marvel. Not really a better movie, but dang it was fun.

• TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    mwhitt80 said:

I happened the other day when someone got internet righteous on me. What else was I to do? I could ignore it as I do most things on the internet, but this guy just put it on a tee. I had to take a shot, and as with most of my internet "arguments" I'll let him win because I really don't care, but I am giving him the crying Indian.

I'm still learning to fight that "Someone is WRONG on the Internet!!!" vibe and just let people "win".

I'll get there someday. :)

edited March 2019
    :)<br><br><br>","bodyRaw":"<blockquote class=\"Quote\" rel=\"mwhitt80\"><p>On occasion I am forced to reply to the I with absurd comments. <\/p><p>I happened the other day when someone got internet righteous on me. What else was I to do? I could ignore it as I do most things on the internet, but this guy just put it on a tee. I had to take a shot, and as with most of my internet &quot;arguments&quot; I&#039;ll let him win because I really don&#039;t care, but I am giving him the crying Indian.<\/p><\/blockquote>\r\n\r\nI'm still learning to fight that \"Someone is WRONG on the Internet!!!\" vibe and just let people \"win\".\r\n\r\nI'll get there someday. :)\r\n\r\n\r\n","format":"html","dateInserted":"2019-03-28T17:47:05+00:00","insertUser":{"userID":8,"name":"Torchsong","url":"https:\/\/thecomicforums.vanillacommunity.com\/profile\/Torchsong","photoUrl":"https:\/\/us.v-cdn.net\/5019455\/uploads\/userpics\/413\/n3AQAQ185KEC4.jpg","dateLastActive":"2022-10-26T16:49:33+00:00","banned":0,"private":false},"displayOptions":{"showUserLabel":false,"showCompactUserInfo":true,"showDiscussionLink":false,"showPostLink":false,"showCategoryLink":false,"renderFullContent":false,"expandByDefault":false},"url":"https:\/\/thecomicforums.vanillacommunity.com\/discussion\/comment\/114089#Comment_114089","embedType":"quote"}"> https://thecomicforums.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/114089#Comment_114089

For some reason people get really irritated when you let them know that they won. ;)

Especially when you declare their victory and walk away. You don't have to get worked up and can ignore the internet righteousness.

But never leave a chance post the crying Indian go unfulfilled because Nothing is more absurd.

• mwhitt80 said:

Flash Fact: Iron Eyes Cody, the actor in the crying Indian commercial, was not a Native American at all... he was actually Italian (Sicilian, actually). He died in 1999.

Everybody see that story about the 17 foot python found in the Everglades? Crazy.

In case you were needing another reason never to go back to Florida, Miami has new critter to deal with, Nile crocodiles.

Alligators I'm okay with, they don't want to bother anybody. Nile crocodiles eat people for a living in Africa. Forget that stuff, if it hits Miami then it's north to the Everglades and upward migration. I hate Florida.

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Florida has been working on a new tourism campaign slogan: “Why go all the way to Australia? Come to Florida and get eaten by our wildlife instead!”

So I think cgs might need a discord channel.

I love the forums they have been a place for me to meet people I will probably never meet in real life. They have been a place to talk with people about something else during the hardest parts of my life, but y think we might want to look at something else to get us together.

I don't think Twitter builds a community like the forums did and I am just trying to think of a way to keep us together and grow new ways.

edited April 2019

I have omnibus questions. I am getting 2 omnibuses the silver surfer by slott and allred.

What omnibus would you recommend

Captain America by waid and garney

FF by waid and wrenigo

or Thor heroes return vol 2?

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited April 2019
    FF all the way. The Waid/Garney Cap was really good until they got kicked off for the Heroes Reborn crap, but when they came back they couldn’t quite capture the same magic. Still good, just not as good. The Waid/Ringo FF, however, was pretty great from start to finish. As for the Thor book, it probably contains JR Jr.’s best artwork outside of Daredevil: Man Without Fear. It’s also probably my favorite thing Jurgens has written. But I much prefer Ringo’s artwork to JR’s, and Waid’s writing to Jurgens’. I’m not really a Jurgens fan, though, so your mileage may vary.
    There’s rumors going around that the New Mutants has been delayed to March 2020. This is never getting released
    edited May 2019
    RIP to the Mighty Chewbacca